My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 37
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #541
phorty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought a CF-400 for my 55 gallon. I was thinking I could use that as the only filter but the flow isn't impressive so I'm still using a AC110 and a Emperor 400 in addition. I still like the filter though, very quiet.

I feel like I might need two when I start my 75 gallon.
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #542
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

UV sterilizers are great. Like said above they kill unwanted bacteria and will get rid of GW. Its the only way I have found that actually does kill the GW. Black outs are pointless IMO and also if you have sensitive plants doing one over 3 days could kill all the ones your keeping.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #543
phorty
Algae Grower

Do you guys leave the UV on all the time? I just saw something that said you can turn it off. I didn't know you could and mine has been on since I started using the filter 1.5 months ago.
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #544
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

No need to run UV all the time on a healthy tank, in my experience. About once every year or two I have a tank that goes haywire and I borrow a friend's in-line UV for a few days.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #545
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

You can leave it on 24/7 as there are no ill effects that will come of it other then perhaps slightly higher temps in the tank and of course lessened bulb life.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #546
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Just wanted to report that my filter is still running as quiet as the day I received it. So far no problem with anything. I do wish in intake had more suction by maybe I just over stuffed the filter with too much media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #547
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

The Aquatop CF-300 is the rebranded version of the sunsun302?

The actual sunsun models are sort of scarce.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #548
josman

Hi,

My aquarium of 170 gal, is recommended I use one HW-304B (CF-500UV) or I use two HW-303B (CF-400UV). What setup is better?

Thank you
josman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #549
Riiz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josman View Post
Hi,

My aquarium of 170 gal, is recommended I use one HW-304B (CF-500UV) or I use two HW-303B (CF-400UV). What setup is better?

Thank you
I recommend two CF-500s, and a little extra water circulation from a Koralia type pump, which aquatop also makes too.
Riiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #550
mcrexx

I have a SunSun Outside Filter HW-303B, it's pretty much like the 302 but larger and has a built in UV light. Anyways, I finished putting it together tonight and followed the instructions to the letter but when I turn it on the water is not flowing in and out of the filter. I've checked all the connections, they are secure and still nothing. It is only when I open the filter (as in release the clamps and pull up the motor at the top disconnecting it from the base) that the input water begins to flow, but the water is still not flowing out. Does anyone have some advice on how I can solve this problem? Thanks
mcrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #551
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Have you primed the filter?
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #552
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrexx View Post
I have a SunSun Outside Filter HW-303B, it's pretty much like the 302 but larger and has a built in UV light. Anyways, I finished putting it together tonight and followed the instructions to the letter but when I turn it on the water is not flowing in and out of the filter. I've checked all the connections, they are secure and still nothing. It is only when I open the filter (as in release the clamps and pull up the motor at the top disconnecting it from the base) that the input water begins to flow, but the water is still not flowing out. Does anyone have some advice on how I can solve this problem? Thanks
filter should be under / next to the tank. never above or too far below the tank.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #553
mcrexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Have you primed the filter?
Yes I did, still nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
filter should be under / next to the tank. never above or too far below the tank.
The filter is 1 foot under my tank.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #554
CWO4GUNNER
Algae Grower

You have something crossed up, either your out-flow basket holes (that normally leak and bypass) are not aligned in a strait path leading to the inflow tube so that water can flow backwards trough the filter from bottom, (normally pushing media off the basket base to bypass even more),or you have either the manifold or lid installed backwards relative to the necessary part alignment puzzel I mentioned. For easy restart you also need to have the canister full of water along with the hoses primed with water because unlike circumference filter which can self drain for light weight remove and self prime for easy restart an inline basket filter must struggle to draw water un-submerged where air can easily get trapped and burn out the motor should this occur. But once you get in enough practice the seemingly hours of trying to restart the filter will take only a dozen minutes or so.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #555
mcrexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO4GUNNER View Post
You have something crossed up, either your out-flow basket holes (that normally leak and bypass) are not aligned in a strait path leading to the inflow tube so that water can flow backwards trough the filter from bottom, (normally pushing media off the basket base to bypass even more),or you have either the manifold or lid installed backwards relative to the necessary part alignment puzzel I mentioned. For easy restart you also need to have the canister full of water along with the hoses primed with water because unlike circumference filter which can self drain for light weight remove and self prime for easy restart an inline basket filter must struggle to draw water un-submerged where air can easily get trapped and burn out the motor should this occur. But once you get in enough practice the seemingly hours of trying to restart the filter will take only a dozen minutes or so.
Finally got it working! I shortened the hoses, I filled the canister full of water, primed it slowly a few times, plugged it in and it worked!

Thank you everyone for your help!