My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 31
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #451
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindew View Post
There is no battle to fight I wasn't starting anything with anyone just stating my opinion from my experience. I know that some who are new to keeping fish tanks or new to keeping plants like I am. Might want to find a good filter at a good price and feel like they are forced to purchase the expensive stuff to get something that works. When that is simply not the case. For someone to say your tank is going to siphon out onto the floor in your house or " I wouldn't bet my hardwood floors on it" they are obviously misinformed. As for the ADA products it is only my opinion they are overpriced im sure if they were priced twice as high as they are now there are people who would still buy.
I know you weren't starting anything. My comment was just my failed attempt to lighten things a bit.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #452
Justindew
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/61%)

I hear you I hope no one thinks I am bashing ADA or Eheim because I would love to own everything ADA sells and I have owned several Eheim filters. Just saying if money is a concern which it is for most of us. Then get yourself a Sunsun filter you wont be dissapointed. I rest my case and on that note I feel the need to join the Sunsun pimp club, hah.
Justindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #453
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
... I rest my case and on that note I feel the need to join the Sunsun pimp club, hah.
lol, agreed. You also need to consider becoming a sales rep .
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #454
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Quote:
There is no battle to fight I wasn't starting anything with anyone just stating my opinion from my experience. I know that some who are new to keeping fish tanks or new to keeping plants like I am. Might want to find a good filter at a good price and feel like they are forced to purchase the expensive stuff to get something that works. When that is simply not the case. For someone to say your tank is going to siphon out onto the floor in your house or " I wouldn't bet my hardwood floors on it" they are obviously misinformed. As for the ADA products it is only my opinion they are overpriced im sure if they were priced twice as high as they are now there are people who would still buy.
Misinformed, dont think so. Where would you honestly put your money? In a hobby that already cost a bit to get into why short cut your equipment to save a buck? Just doesnt make sense.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #455
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Misinformed, dont think so. Where would you honestly put your money? In a hobby that already cost a bit to get into why short cut your equipment to save a buck? Just doesnt make sense.
That is true when it comes to some things but there are things you can save a buck on and still get quality products. Such as the filter and lighting they work the same way the more expensive options do. I said you are misinformed because you are under the opinion that using the Sunsun filter you are any more at risk of draining your entire tank then you are with an Eheim or other brand filter.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #456
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
marineland c-series impellers are a perfect replacement
BZZZZTT Wrong answer, tried that already

Got another suggestion?

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #457
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

You are certainly more at risk draining your filter with a sunsun and starting your house on fire with a Odyssey (sp?). I'm sure you have been around the hobby longer then your join date would suggest but I have been on this forum for some time and have seen my fair share of catastrophes with less than quality equipment.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #458
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I just bought a sunsun and I hope my tank drains out everywhere and ruins my floor just so I can say your right but until then. I have what I have and it works all the same. Sure I love expensive stuff, bbut in a lot of cases its just a fancified version of cheaper products. And ina lot of cases its true quality. Price doesn't make something quality, quality makes something good and the pricetag is set by the buyer. If you are willing to pay 2000 for a product you can bet they will sell it for that. Ever company has a different philosophy concerning price, there is a decision to make, high price high profit per person. Low price low prophet. 80 percent of the time they even out. Moore people are willing to spend less than people willing to spend more. Keep that in mind before you pay high prices on products. There are good quality items at great prices for those who aren't too ignorant to look
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #459
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
BZZZZTT Wrong answer, tried that already

Got another suggestion?
No offense but I call BS I have seen the part used myself and it is an exact replica of the impeller on the Marineland. Which model did you get the part for? I could ask my brother in law which model his impeller was from in case they are not all the same. Also which model Sunsun does your buddy have?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #460
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
You are certainly more at risk draining your filter with a sunsun and starting your house on fire with a Odyssey (sp?). I'm sure you have been around the hobby longer then your join date would suggest but I have been on this forum for some time and have seen my fair share of catastrophes with less than quality equipment.
See I have not seen that so until I do I guess I will be a risk taker. The old Odyssea lights I have heard of having problems but have you heard of any issues with the newer ones? Also I have never heard of anyone have there filter drain with a Sunsun (or any other filter for that matter) if you have I would love to see the thread to see what to avoid. Regardless no one is going to talk you out of your high priced fancy equipment and no one is going to talk me out of my budget priced functional equipment. So good luck to you lets trade some plants or something and let all this go.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #461
pupdawg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The way I buy stuff is like this (and this may not be the best method but..)

Look at what I want... if I like it, I ask the price. If I can't afford it I look at an alternative. If I don't like the alternative for whatever reason(s), I just save my money and buy what I want.

I think it's great that there are more affordable options and all but I like Eheim filters and ADA tools, tanks, substrate. I can't afford some of them right off the bat, but I save for it and for the guarantee and dependability that is usually associated with those products.
pupdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #462
kokomon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thx for review, I havent heard of this product until now
kokomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #463
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Aaaaand the thread has been derailed. Again. Look, this thread is for reviews of the SunSun type canister filter. I won't say nobody has had a problem with the SunSun. And yes, the craftsmanship and material quality seem to be inferior to other, more expensive, tried and true, high quality products.

This particular product hasn't been around for a heck of a long time. A few years, maybe? And yet, scanning through this thread, there is a remarkable minimum of complaints about this product. If money wasn't such a large issue for me, I probably would not hesitate to buy an Eheim ...at least, one of the models made in Germany rather than China (if you're interested, you can look up the info on that). But money *is* an object, at least for me. And I bought myself a SunSun because I wanted to try out a canister filter, but not spend the extra hundred or so bucks on an experiment. Six or seven months later, I'm still quite happy with it.

Unless you have personal experience with a product, I would prefer not to read about you bashing it (alternatively, if you *do* have experience with it, go right ahead and critique it - because we need to know about that stuff). That goes for SunSun as well as ADA. SunSun lovers, stop complaining about the high-end stuff being more expensive. Eheim lovers, stop complaining about the low-end stuff actually being functional.

To repeat: this is a review thread for SunSun-type canister filters. Praise, or criticize, but only if you actually own one. Please. Find an Eheim thread if you want to talk about them. I'm honestly not sure how much business a person has posting in this thread if they've never used a SunSun ...unless you're requesting information, maybe? And if you really want, I'll start a thread for you about which canister filter is just plain cooler.

By the way, in regards to replacement parts, I believe I've read about one or two of the US Ebay sellers being good about sending out replacements. And as far as the Marineland C-series goes, I can't speak for all of them, but I know I've seen C-series pics that are almost identical to SunSun 302 pics, except for color. I would bet that you can match up models by claimed gph ratings and get replacements that way.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #464
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Aaaaand the thread has been derailed. Again. Look, this thread is for reviews of the SunSun type canister filter. I won't say nobody has had a problem with the SunSun. And yes, the craftsmanship and material quality seem to be inferior to other, more expensive, tried and true, high quality products.

This particular product hasn't been around for a heck of a long time. A few years, maybe? And yet, scanning through this thread, there is a remarkable minimum of complaints about this product. If money wasn't such a large issue for me, I probably would not hesitate to buy an Eheim ...at least, one of the models made in Germany rather than China (if you're interested, you can look up the info on that). But money *is* an object, at least for me. And I bought myself a SunSun because I wanted to try out a canister filter, but not spend the extra hundred or so bucks on an experiment. Six or seven months later, I'm still quite happy with it.

Unless you have personal experience with a product, I would prefer not to read about you bashing it (alternatively, if you *do* have experience with it, go right ahead and critique it - because we need to know about that stuff). That goes for SunSun as well as ADA. SunSun lovers, stop complaining about the high-end stuff being more expensive. Eheim lovers, stop complaining about the low-end stuff actually being functional.

To repeat: this is a review thread for SunSun-type canister filters. Praise, or criticize, but only if you actually own one. Please. Find an Eheim thread if you want to talk about them. I'm honestly not sure how much business a person has posting in this thread if they've never used a SunSun ...unless you're requesting information, maybe? And if you really want, I'll start a thread for you about which canister filter is just plain cooler.

By the way, in regards to replacement parts, I believe I've read about one or two of the US Ebay sellers being good about sending out replacements. And as far as the Marineland C-series goes, I can't speak for all of them, but I know I've seen C-series pics that are almost identical to SunSun 302 pics, except for color. I would bet that you can match up models by claimed gph ratings and get replacements that way.
Well said! Not to derail the thread yet again but I am loving my RAOK crypt from you that thing is a monster not something you find in my LFS that is for sure.

Last edited by Justindew; 06-02-2011 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 06-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #465
mott
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
No offense but I call BS I have seen the part used myself and it is an exact replica of the impeller on the Marineland. Which model did you get the part for? I could ask my brother in law which model his impeller was from in case they are not all the same. Also which model Sunsun does your buddy have?
None taken, I have nothing to gain from bs'ng on a fish forum lol

He has the 302 and I'm pretty sure he tried the one from the 220

BTW he fixed the impeller shaft by going to a tool and die shop,
they got the specs and made him a SS shaft.

I don't really knock these filters I just think they use thin cheap plastic for the baskets and in/outs.
They are worth what you are paying for and nothing more, just MO.
And I don't own one but I have a first hand opinion, showing my bud how to clean the darn thing

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote