My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 29
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #421
Tacct
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

About to jump on buying one of these, has anyone bought from easyforuse on ebay and had any problems? (and how long did it take to ship?)
Tacct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #422
spaeth05
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite949372 View Post
About to jump on buying one of these, has anyone bought from easyforuse on ebay and had any problems? (and how long did it take to ship?)
Just bought one from that seller last week and it was shipped the day after I paid. Very satisfied thus far with the filter, and all of the comments from the original review are spot on.
spaeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #423
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Though it's difficult to tell unless you go through them all, last time I looked through Ebay, I wasn't able to find any versions (new or old) bigger than the 302 that *didn't* have the UV light. Does anybody happen to know another source beyond Ebay?

I'm talking about the 303/403 and 304/404 "A" versions rather than the "B" versions. The most common is the HW-302, which does not come with a UV model (though the newer version, the 402, does).

Here's the SunSun model page again:
http://www.sunsun-china.com/en/produ...nums=50&key=HW
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #424
Tacct
Algae Grower

spaeth05, thanks just wanted to make sure since that seller has a fraction of the discoutacquatic sales.

Kevmo911, the only place I've seen the A versions of the bigger ones is on some european sites (which I've since lost the link to).
Tacct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #425
tomhink

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey there, Had my hw-302 up and running for about a week. I think i might have configured the media wrong. I have noticed some white residue, possibly the fine filter in the tank, it has settled on my dwarf hair grass and on my driftwood. The media baskets are set up as follows, blue scrubbie, bio media , then white fine filter. Any ideas to what i've done wrong?
tomhink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #426
gh0ul
Algae Grower

Yes! Finally I found out what the cannister I just bought off Ebay was. SunSun. and from what Im hearing.. Its one Helluva deal. I paid $50.38 total for this filter! That's it... You cant even DIY for that price, Hell just the pump will cost you more. Nothing gets to me more than Hobby Snobs. People that think because they have all ADA products or they spent more $ on theirs than yours they are better... Give ME A BREAK!!!

I saw a pair of curved SS Scissors on ADA for $120 last week... That is almost the stupidest thing ive ever seen..... I've been using the same pair of $8 scissors for 5 years now. Never sharpened them.... Does that mean the ADA's are better... Hell no! It's just a name you are paying for people!.
gh0ul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #427
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite949372 View Post

They are a great seller. I have purchase from them 2 times with no problems. It takes about a week to 10 days for delivery. I think. Yopu will not be disapointed.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #428
cblwry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Good morning all and Happy Memorial Day!! I got my SunSun the first of the year and have been traveling ever since. Only coming home for a day or two every 3 weeks. I have never cleaned it. The water still looks great but since I am finally home for the week I guess it's time to get in there and get the gunk out. This is my first and only canister filter so far. I know pulling the black knob on top up stops the water flow. Do I just take the lid off after that or do I have to pull all the plumbing out of the tank?? Just want to make sure I don't screw this up or make a bigger mess than I need to.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Sunsun Pimp #46 - HW 302
Always lurking on TPT to learn more!!
cblwry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #429
RickRS
Planted Member

Leave the hoses and the plumbing in the tank and just drag the unattached canister over to the sink. Don't forget you want to wash/rinse the media that you're reusing with tank water or de-chlorined water to avoid killing off beneficial bacteria.

The advise to restart/reprime includes taking the spraybar out of the water when you pump. Unless you want to clean the spraybar off, that's the only time you need to take any of the stuff in the tank out.
Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
RickRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #430
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

just turn off the filter, lift the lever and pull off the black hose coupler/valve. Then you can remove the top.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #431
cblwry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thank you so very much!! I have a 33 gallon long tank in the garage and will be getting another one of these filters for it also. So far it have been great!!!!
Sunsun Pimp #46 - HW 302
Always lurking on TPT to learn more!!
cblwry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #432
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblwry View Post
Good morning all and Happy Memorial Day!! I got my SunSun the first of the year and have been traveling ever since. Only coming home for a day or two every 3 weeks. I have never cleaned it. The water still looks great but since I am finally home for the week I guess it's time to get in there and get the gunk out. This is my first and only canister filter so far. I know pulling the black knob on top up stops the water flow. Do I just take the lid off after that or do I have to pull all the plumbing out of the tank?? Just want to make sure I don't screw this up or make a bigger mess than I need to.

Thanks for the advice!!!
No need to take the plumbing out of your tank. Just disconnect the tubing from the filter and clean the meadium in clean tank water.

If you are using ceramic prefilter things, there is no need to replace them ever.

I use lava rock as well.

I use poly quilt liner for polishishing. I replace that about 2 times a year or so.

Other than that, unless the biofilm/sludge on the tubs is very heavy and stopping the flow, I would not bother with it.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #433
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhink View Post
Hey there, Had my hw-302 up and running for about a week. I think i might have configured the media wrong. I have noticed some white residue, possibly the fine filter in the tank, it has settled on my dwarf hair grass and on my driftwood. The media baskets are set up as follows, blue scrubbie, bio media , then white fine filter. Any ideas to what i've done wrong?

These filters work from the bottom up. Your prefilter (course) should be on the bottom and work finer towards the top. Top it off with polishing medium.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #434
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0ul View Post
Yes! Finally I found out what the cannister I just bought off Ebay was. SunSun. and from what Im hearing.. Its one Helluva deal. I paid $50.38 total for this filter! That's it... You cant even DIY for that price, Hell just the pump will cost you more. Nothing gets to me more than Hobby Snobs. People that think because they have all ADA products or they spent more $ on theirs than yours they are better... Give ME A BREAK!!!

I saw a pair of curved SS Scissors on ADA for $120 last week... That is almost the stupidest thing ive ever seen..... I've been using the same pair of $8 scissors for 5 years now. Never sharpened them.... Does that mean the ADA's are better... Hell no! It's just a name you are paying for people!.

And nothing gets me more than a hypocritical hobbiest doing the same thing except about how cheaply they got off filtering their tank for. But the difference between you and them (I) is that you have a sub standard piece of equipment holding 100g of water back and we (I) don't.

Who would you put your money on? I'll bet I can guess. Good luck you'll find out sooner than later why spending extra ALWAYS pays off in this hobby. Can't really compare a cheap pair of scissors rusting/breaking while trimming to an inch of standing water on your Oak floors.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #435
joewitafro
Algae Grower

what would you recommend for a planted 55g that is stocked well? would the 404a/b be too much?

Also, with the UV models, can the light be turned off?
joewitafro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.