My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 25
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #361
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackpixi View Post
I think the most accurate recent post was random_alias's. There is a difference between "cheap" and "piece of crap". It made me rethink my post. He's right. I am judging a book by it's cover. Time will tell whether the important part, the pump, continues to do it's job.

I find it hard to believe, Jake, that you'd call the thing a beast. As, random_alias has made me realize, that's my only complaint, that it's not a beast. The part of me that wants to sit around and stroke robust plastics is left unsatisfied rubbing the SunSun. It is an object I cannot develop a fetish for due to the thin wall plastics. Running my fingers over the Filstar, feeling something stirring inside me, I can say, this is some fine French (Mexican in birth actually) plastic. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a Chinese twist as well, my Odyssea, oh the times, so many times I've looked, and wanted to touch, and touched, and cooed, and the Odyssea it coos back at me. The plastics in this one, they do not move me.

I'm sure it filters water though.

But really, is that all you want? My relationships with my aquarium equipment run deeper than just a quick filtering. Don't yours? Don't you want them to?
I called it a beast, because of its size: Much larger then my Eheim. Water pumping wise, it is again better then my $90 Eheim. Quality wise, the Eheim takes all. The SunSun's plastic is fine IMO, as long as I do not take a hammer to it. It is actually much better then I expected, but still a little lacking.

All in all though, so far as I can tell you get more then what you pay for with the SunSun. And I'd say that most SunSun users agree with me.

I do not have any relationship with my equipment. Why would I? Are they a living thing?
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #362
Dongo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookis View Post
Dongo,
What sized tank are you using it on?

Matt
Matt,

It is on a 30gal tank. I still run my HOB filter, though it is for the water flow more than the filtration as my tank is relatively heavily planted.

Daniel.
Dongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #363
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

(plumbing not in picture)
It seems that the company has changed its name and box design again maybe trying make it look more impelling to buyers. I'm satisfied with it doing its job which is to filter my 20 gallon tank. Even though it came only with three thin filter pads, I just added my own. Right now I'm looking for a spray bar to replace the stock one. It may be "cheap" compared to others but i don't care because I'm satisfied and it is my first canister filter so I have nothing to compare it to. Oh and did I mention that I can't hear it at all and that my 24" Nova Extreme 4x24watt fan is louder than it's pump!!
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #364
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Im trying to figure out how much media capacity these 302's have? Looks from the pics (thank you patriot) that each basket would hold about 1l-1.5l of media. So my guess is the total capacity would be ~4l. If this is the case it would cost ~$60 to fill the filter with 4l of ehfisubstrat PRO or ~$20 with seachem matrix.

I can not find any place that is selling them so I can put together a proper price comparison after filling it with equivalent media.

Here is a nice exploded pic of the canister.

HW-302/HW-303A/HW-303B/HW-304A/HW-304B
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #365
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Im trying to figure out how much media capacity these 302's have? Looks from the pics (thank you patriot) that each basket would hold about 1l-1.5l of media. So my guess is the total capacity would be ~4l. If this is the case it would cost ~$60 to fill the filter with 4l of ehfisubstrat PRO or ~$20 with seachem matrix.

I can not find any place that is selling them so I can put together a proper price comparison after filling it with equivalent media.

Here is a nice exploded pic of the canister.

HW-302/HW-303A/HW-303B/HW-304A/HW-304B
i'd say thats pretty close to accurate, the trays are like ~6L"x~6W"x~3H" or so, I haven't measured exactly but it's pretty close, can do so when i get home if necessary :P

I know I spent like $40 or so at least between pads/floss and ceramic media, and still had room to easily fit half a box of extra floss from my old HOB filters. I think there's a layer of floss in each tray, 4-5 layers extra i put in the bottom tray, 3 extra in the middle + a polishing pad and extra ceramic media i couldn't fit in the top tray, and top is all ceramic media(about a box and a half of biomax) with a single polishing pad on top. Have a sponge prefilter and the flow outta the 302 is still going strong! And there was hardly a difference in flow at all adding the extra floss compared to not having any besides what it came with
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #366
cawolf86
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Has anyone installed different inflow/outflow pipes or lily pipes on theirs yet? If so, which ones did you go with?
cawolf86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #367
ridewake210
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

...You can use which ever you prefer as long as the ID of the product has the same ID of the hose' on the filter.

90g- 4x54w T5HO, Pressurized CO2, XP2 & XP4, Hydor ETH 300w

125g- African Mbuna,Haps, Peacock community tank
x2 Rena XP4s, Hydor ETH 300w, 4x39w Coralife T5NO

Filstar PIMP #165

In the making...15+ more tanks.
Ranging from 5 gallons to 40 gallons.
ridewake210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #368
Julii Cory
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've had my HW-302 running for a week now and it's noisy, it rattles!!! I've read other users say that theirs is silent, that they had to double check to make sure it was running because they couldn't hear it, but mine is annoying me. Granted it is out in the open, not inside a furniture piece or something. It sounds as when you have something loose, not properly closed, but I would have water leaks if it wasn't properly sealed. I have unplugged it and plugged it back again and no change. I have shaken it vigorously to make sure there are no bubbles, tilted it back and forth, opened it and closed it, removed the baskets and placed them back again. No change. I am about to toss it!

This is my second canister filter, the first one is a Marineland C-160 that I thought it was too small for my tank (30g), got the SunSun, used the C-160 for a month, removed it, and replaced it with the HW-302, but the Marineland was a lot quieter. It is in the bedroom, so I am about to order a Marineland C-220 and get rid of this SunSun after only a week. It works fine, even though the Marineland is sturdier, thicker plastic. I am actually impressed that it works as well for the price and the cheaper feel of the canister.

I don't expect a filter to be "silent", they have to make some noise, but this is a little too much for me. Now, I don't have experience with canister filters and their noises, I don't have friends that have canisters for me to go check theirs, but I am going to AFA tomorrow to listen to theirs. All the times I've been there I've never paid attention to the filters under the cabinets but I have to compare noise levels.

It's driving me crazy!

E
Julii Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #369
Julii Cory
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
Has anyone installed different inflow/outflow pipes or lily pipes on theirs yet? If so, which ones did you go with?
I've ordered 17 mm lilly pipes for my 5/8" inflow/outflow. I have yet to receive them but I'm sure they will fit. They should be here in a couple of days, so I will let you know how they fit and what I had to do to install them.

E
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #370
cawolf86
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julii Cory View Post
I've ordered 17 mm lilly pipes for my 5/8" inflow/outflow. I have yet to receive them but I'm sure they will fit. They should be here in a couple of days, so I will let you know how they fit and what I had to do to install them.

E
Thanks! Which ones did you go with?
cawolf86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #371
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
I've had my HW-302 running for a week now and it's noisy, it rattles!!!

It's driving me crazy!

E
If you don't or can't fix it, I might buy it from you if you are selling it at a reduced price. I have a spare impeller for the 302 that I was mistakenly sent when I ordered a spare 303 impeller. They sent me a 303 impeller later and let me keep the 302 impeller. Assuming the impeller is seated properly in your canister, maybe it is just a faulty impeller. If that is the case, I may have the part that I would need to correct it. PM me if you are selling the filter for a cheap price.

How old is it? If it's faulty, the seller you bought it from will probably send you a free replacement or exchange.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #372
Julii Cory
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias View Post
How old is it? If it's faulty, the seller you bought it from will probably send you a free replacement or exchange.
It's brand new, I've had it running for a week only. I'm only using the canister, the hoses and bar sprayer and inflow pieces are still in the bag because I'm using the hoses from my Marineland.

I'll check the impeller tomorrow, I've only checked the impeller cover to make sure it is properly attached but didn't remove the impeller.

I should check with Kool Goods on eBay, that's where I got it from. I don't want to buy another one for fear it may be the same noise which could be just normal, but I think it's too loud when you are trying to sleep.

Thanks, if I decide to sell it, I'll let you know.

E
Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #373
Julii Cory
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
Thanks! Which ones did you go with?
I got the "Glass Lily pipe inflow and outflow 17mm canister filter" (eBay description from U-barn). They are from Hong Kong and the picture shows them in a red box with the name Powe Mren, ADA look alikes.

E
Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #374
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've had my HW-302 running for a week now and it's noisy, it rattles!!! I've read other users say that theirs is silent, that they had to double check to make sure it was running because they couldn't hear it, but mine is annoying me. Granted it is out in the open, not inside a furniture piece or something. It sounds as when you have something loose, not properly closed, but I would have water leaks if it wasn't properly sealed. I have unplugged it and plugged it back again and no change. I have shaken it vigorously to make sure there are no bubbles, tilted it back and forth, opened it and closed it, removed the baskets and placed them back again. No change. I am about to toss it!

This is my second canister filter, the first one is a Marineland C-160 that I thought it was too small for my tank (30g), got the SunSun, used the C-160 for a month, removed it, and replaced it with the HW-302, but the Marineland was a lot quieter. It is in the bedroom, so I am about to order a Marineland C-220 and get rid of this SunSun after only a week. It works fine, even though the Marineland is sturdier, thicker plastic. I am actually impressed that it works as well for the price and the cheaper feel of the canister.

I don't expect a filter to be "silent", they have to make some noise, but this is a little too much for me. Now, I don't have experience with canister filters and their noises, I don't have friends that have canisters for me to go check theirs, but I am going to AFA tomorrow to listen to theirs. All the times I've been there I've never paid attention to the filters under the cabinets but I have to compare noise levels.

It's driving me crazy!

E
My filter was also making some noise but not much until I opened it up and removed the impeller to clean it.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #375
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias View Post
If you don't or can't fix it, I might buy it from you if you are selling it at a reduced price. I have a spare impeller for the 302 that I was mistakenly sent when I ordered a spare 303 impeller. They sent me a 303 impeller later and let me keep the 302 impeller. Assuming the impeller is seated properly in your canister, maybe it is just a faulty impeller. If that is the case, I may have the part that I would need to correct it. PM me if you are selling the filter for a cheap price.

Does the 303 impeller fits the 302?
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35