My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #331
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
Jake,
Are you asking if the UV sterilizer inside the Sunsun is detrimental to the filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbenson View Post
I think he wants to slow down the flow rate for the UV to be more effective and he's wondering if the slower flow rate will harm the filter
Whoa.... Sorry about that guys. That was one of my no thought at all posts.

I was wondering if 1. the UV actually works well 2. It does not reduce the flow rate of the filter and 3. if I should buy it.

Really sorry 'bout that. I wasn't really thinking.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #332
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

It's cool. It happens to us all.

1. Yes. Even though I've never had a major reason to use it when I have the water seems clearer. I wanted UV for green water and/or killing anything messing with the fish, but I haven't had a single problem since putting the Sunsun on that tank.

2. Zero flow reduction for me. The way it is integrated into the canister design doesn't affect the flow rate at all. The Sunsun I have with the UV on it has 4 media trays so it's really tall and powerful. I have it on a 35 gallon hex and haven't cleaned it in at least 7 months. The flow has slowed, but still breaks the surface of the tank so no point in cleaning it yet.

3. It can't hurt to buy the filter w/UV, but not required to be happy with your Sunsun purchase.

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #333
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Got my "Perfect" (the 264gph one) a week ago and I'm loving the sound (or complete lack) of it. Originally I put some of the media from my previous HOB AQ70 to transfer some bacteria, but found that the flow was very low. Using a highly accurate flow-checking method (1L bottle and a phone in timer mode, trying not to drop the phone in the tank) and ended up with about 55gph.

I then removed the extra media and left just the 3 cotton pads that come with the canister and checked again, and came up with about 140gph.

The tank rim is about 4 1/2 feet off the floor (where the canister is), so the water has some extra climb. I'm not thrilled with the flow rate, but I think the elimination of sound, lack of surface agitation (CO2 diffusion issues), and overall much cleaner look more than make up for it, especially since the Perfect was just a few dollars more than the AQ70 was. Overall, very happy with my new toy!
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #334
Caleb19
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey guys, I'm seriously looking into purchasing one of these bad boys. My only question is, should I go with the 303 or upgrade to the 304 for a 55 gallon? I know this is opinion based, but I'd like to get a consensus on the topic. Thanks in advance for any insight you can contribute. Cheerz!
Caleb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #335
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Well, a 55g is 4 feet long. So, the question becomes this: Are you going to use two filters, one on each end, or are you going to try to use one filter to circulate water from one end to the other? On 4 foot tanks, many people opt to use two smaller filters instead of one larger filter. It boils down to a matter of preference. If you are going to try to use one filter to circulate water across 4 feet and then back again, I would go higher than the 303. With two filters, you could circulate your water well with even currents instead of having a super strong current in one area and a weaker current in the other.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #336
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
It's cool. It happens to us all.

1. Yes. Even though I've never had a major reason to use it when I have the water seems clearer. I wanted UV for green water and/or killing anything messing with the fish, but I haven't had a single problem since putting the Sunsun on that tank.

2. Zero flow reduction for me. The way it is integrated into the canister design doesn't affect the flow rate at all. The Sunsun I have with the UV on it has 4 media trays so it's really tall and powerful. I have it on a 35 gallon hex and haven't cleaned it in at least 7 months. The flow has slowed, but still breaks the surface of the tank so no point in cleaning it yet.

3. It can't hurt to buy the filter w/UV, but not required to be happy with your Sunsun purchase.
Thank you very much for the response. UV it is!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #337
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Well you got me sold after reading this whole thread. Can't find filters or supplies period here in Japan since I can't speak or read Japanese. There's only one fish store around base and even then its hard trying to explain what your looking for. While I'm ordering off Ebay is there anything else I should get to go with it such as this poly-fil stuff everyone speaks of, bioballs, etc.
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #338
Julii Cory
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

I just bought my SunSun (Perfect HW-302) Canister filter from kool-goods and can't wait to set it up next to my Marineland C-160. $56 for a SunSun and $80 for a Marineland. I'll post again when I receive it and install it.

E
Julii Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #339
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

What is the tubing size for the 265GPH Sunsun? It is 5/8in right? Would the filter it be enough with a good powerhead for a well stocked 40g breeder?

Sorry for all the questions!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #340
Dongo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I bought a filter from discountaquatic on eebay. It was the 265gph model and it came as a AquaTop 300. There was no surface skimmer included (even though it was advertised) and so I contacted the seller. I was informed that this is the new model and the skimmer was eliminated because it was causing problems (sucking in air). I got him to send me the missing part, as it was advertised, but I couldn't get the skimmer to work, wouldn't skim anything.

The spray bar cracked when I was putting it together but I managed ot fix it with some hose. Other then that the filter works well so far, quiter than my HOB filter. The english instructions weren't bad but you don't need them anyway. I never had a canister filter and I set it up just fine. Took me about 30mins to prime it with my Rex style CO2 reactor attached (which it works just fine with).

It's probably just rebranded with the skimmer removed but I suppose it could also be a new model. As mentioned before the actual flow rate is less than the 265gph.

JakeJ: The hoses on mine were 5/8" inside dia.

Daniel.
Dongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #341
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks much Dongo!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #342
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

I took the plunge, and should get mine in a couple of days. So exited!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #343
smackpixi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I received mine yesterday. Bought from discountaquatic. Shipped quick, packed well. Mine is branded Aquatop Aquatic Supplies. Did not have the the surface skimmer, everyone says it's crap, but kinda wanted to try it. The inlet has a spot for it, but it's just capped. Sad about that. The "$15 free media" was a giant bag of carbon, about 12 bio balls and 12 ceramic rings in addition to the one coarse pad (cut poorly, too small) and three fine pads (make quilt batting look fancy). I'm fully capable of replacing the stock pads with something useful, but just seems weird that was their choice to include.

My first reaction was "what a piece of crap". It's very cheaply made. This is my second "cheapo" filter, first was a Odyssea CRS 500. My first reaction to that one was, "this is freaking awsome". Compared to the "SunSun", the Odyssea is a brick house.

I intend to use it as a supplementary filter to the Odyssea. Mechanical in the Odyssea, and bio in this one. I really don't hope to open this filter but once or twice a year. Which is good cause it feels like a delicate piece of crap that will break at any moment. As said, cheaply made. And the pump primer will give you a work out...pretty useless. Recommend pre-loading the filter and inlet tube with water and not using it.

One thing in it's favor is the spray bar. It comes in two parts. But if you only use the end part, you can put the outlet on the side of the aquarium instead of the back. I'm pretty happy about that as it will fit well into my water circulation plans.

Honestly though, while it doesn't leak, and does it's job, it's not something i'd reccommend, even at this price. Get an Odyssea if you want a cheap canister...takes about 5 bucks to mod into a great filter. No spray bar, but about 15 bucks to a guy in this forum or 5 bucks at Home Depot will build you a great one. This filter will cost you more than that just to get in decent reusable media. And double the flow in the Odyssea.

I have no idea why anyone would reccommend this with anything other than "well, i guess it IS a canister filter". If you're poor, or if you're a kid saving up their allowance to buy a canister and don't want the Odyssea, save for a few months longer and buy a Rena or if you're patient and Eheim. You'll be happier.
smackpixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #344
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackpixi View Post
I received mine yesterday. Bought from discountaquatic. Shipped quick, packed well. Mine is branded Aquatop Aquatic Supplies. Did not have the the surface skimmer, everyone says it's crap, but kinda wanted to try it. The inlet has a spot for it, but it's just capped. Sad about that. The "$15 free media" was a giant bag of carbon, about 12 bio balls and 12 ceramic rings in addition to the one coarse pad (cut poorly, too small) and three fine pads (make quilt batting look fancy). I'm fully capable of replacing the stock pads with something useful, but just seems weird that was their choice to include.

My first reaction was "what a piece of crap". It's very cheaply made. This is my second "cheapo" filter, first was a Odyssea CRS 500. My first reaction to that one was, "this is freaking awsome". Compared to the "SunSun", the Odyssea is a brick house.

I intend to use it as a supplementary filter to the Odyssea. Mechanical in the Odyssea, and bio in this one. I really don't hope to open this filter but once or twice a year. Which is good cause it feels like a delicate piece of crap that will break at any moment. As said, cheaply made. And the pump primer will give you a work out...pretty useless. Recommend pre-loading the filter and inlet tube with water and not using it.

One thing in it's favor is the spray bar. It comes in two parts. But if you only use the end part, you can put the outlet on the side of the aquarium instead of the back. I'm pretty happy about that as it will fit well into my water circulation plans.

Honestly though, while it doesn't leak, and does it's job, it's not something i'd reccommend, even at this price. Get an Odyssea if you want a cheap canister...takes about 5 bucks to mod into a great filter. No spray bar, but about 15 bucks to a guy in this forum or 5 bucks at Home Depot will build you a great one. This filter will cost you more than that just to get in decent reusable media. And double the flow in the Odyssea.

I have no idea why anyone would reccommend this with anything other than "well, i guess it IS a canister filter". If you're poor, or if you're a kid saving up their allowance to buy a canister and don't want the Odyssea, save for a few months longer and buy a Rena or if you're patient and Eheim. You'll be happier.
Dag nab it! Now I am second guessing myself on buying one.

Anybody want a NIB SunSun?
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #345
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

There will always be naysayers, but this thread speaks for itself. There are too many of us that are happy with our Sunsun's for one person's negative opinion to make a difference.

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote