My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #151
thtsapaddlin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post

deposit 5 dollars =)
If I had $5 to spend willy-nilly, I wouldn't be making my own CO2 reactor.

Thanks for the replies. Are there any more definitive instructions anywhere (so I can avoid being annoying)?

Any thoughts on the filter situation?
thtsapaddlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #152
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I was wondering where you all get you replacment parts from?
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #153
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
I was wondering where you all get you replacment parts from?
I have contacted sunsun and did find that you can get parts from them. I have not needed them, however.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #154
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

just to chime in i just hit the 6 months mark, on my ownership of my SunSun other than the having a o-ring tear/fail on the quick release for me it has been running perfect, still as silent as the day i bought it. haven't cleaned it in 3+mos now. so my mostly bio media setup (pot scrubbers and quilt batting) seems to be doing its job as my water is crystal clear and all my levels are ideal still plenty of flow only cleaning ive done is rinsing a prefilter i added to make it shrimp safe.
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #155
juanynfante

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice to heard this filter is working good,...because i just buy one for my 180g tank...i was worry because i didnt find no much reviews about it...i hope my works fine.
juanynfante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #156
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

I was also looking for part under there other name, I believe it's aquatic pro; I forget. But, I couldn't find anything either. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting Marineland parts in them to see if they would fit/work; since the rumor is that Sun sun makes some of the parts.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #157
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

The ability to find replacement parts is key, so good job over_stock contacting Sun Sun.

I think a direct side by side comparison of the Marineland and the Sun Sun would be very beneficial. Some of the issues I'm seeing here may be design issues, not build issues. Since the design is practically, or exactly, the same as the Marineland, any design issues can't be attributed to the "cheap knock-off" argument.

Build issues, such as cheaper materials (i.e. thinner plastic, flimsier o-rings, etc.) and quality issues can be attributed to the "knock-off" argument.

The two big questions I'd like to have answered(and only time will tell) are:

1) Pump reliability...how long will it last?

2)For the UV models, is the plastic that is exposed to the UV shielded? If not, that's gonna be an issue sooner than later.

I think the one other issue here could be quality, and I mean in the manufacturing sense. Will every unit produced be as good as every other unit produced, or will there be duds, and if so what percentage. With Eheims, Renas, Fluvals, etc. quality is key. Yes there is the occasional lemon, but they seek to minimize it. I think the issue with a lot of the Chinese products is that they don't seek to minimize the number of lemons...they just ship them/sell them anyway.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #158
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

Over_stocked how did you cantact them> I have tried both email addresses for the US and have not yet recieved a reply. Can you order the part online or do you have to call?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #159
RLee
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
2)For the UV models, is the plastic that is exposed to the UV shielded? If not, that's gonna be an issue sooner than later.

No it is not shielded so after time the plastic will degrade. The issue is how much and will it ever become a problem with the function of the filter.
I work in a harbor on boats and see plenty of plastic pieces used on boats for various things exposed to sun light all day. The plastic parts that fail are under some kind of stress due to use. The u.v. makes the plastic brittle then it fails.
How much stress is on the plastic inside the filter?
It remains to be seen but i am sure someone will have an opinion.

As for me I do not run the u.v. lamp all the time. Only if I get green water or have an ich scare, both I have not had in quiet some time. Its kinda ironic that the better I get at this hobby the less I need the u.v. but its still nice to have it, just in case.
Sun Sun pimp #8
model #303B
Eheim 2236
RLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #160
thtsapaddlin
Algae Grower

I've had my SunSun 304A for about 5 hours now, and it seems to be working well.

I had a hell of a time priming it, but that's probably because the thing is so damn massive. In the process, the blue piece of plastic on the priming button cracked -- but I think it's just aesthetic, and the priming button is intact beneath it.

I too am having some noise issues. I spent an hour or so trying to get all the air out and (mostly) succeeded, but there's still some air in there. The impeller is about as quiet as you'd expect, considering it's powered by a 55W motor.

This is a brand new tank, so the particulate matter from the Flourite is everwhere...but I have no doubt this beast will power through that in no time.

It's my first canister filter, and it looks to be (for sure) the best comparably-sized filter you can buy for $78.

BTW, for those who may be concerned about shipping time (as some folks were earlier), I received my unit less than 72 hours after I bought it...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #161
cichlidude
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnet View Post
Got a few questions about the SunSun filter.

How long are the intake and outflow tubes? Do you think the SunSun filter might be a bit of an overkill for a 10 gallon?

Regarding the skimmer, is it a detachable feature or not? I couldn't tell judging from the pictures.
Yes, overkill for a 10 gallon. The smallest Sunsun might be used on a 29 gallon minimum.
cichlidude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #162
fischman
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Got mine today. Setup was easy and straight forward even without any instructions. Baskets were a little tough to remove, but some careful jiggling pulled them right out. I have it running on my 26 gallon and it is working slick as can be. I do need to work on getting the last of the bubbles out of the canister but I think I got 95% of them out.

Josh
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #163
cichlidude
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post
Got mine today. Setup was easy and straight forward even without any instructions. Baskets were a little tough to remove, but some careful jiggling pulled them right out. I have it running on my 26 gallon and it is working slick as can be. I do need to work on getting the last of the bubbles out of the canister but I think I got 95% of them out.

Josh
Tilt the canister back and forth, front and back. Then if you have to turn it off and wait a few seconds and turn back on. Should get them all out.
cichlidude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #164
thtsapaddlin
Algae Grower

I had some issues with the filter leaking when it was tilted to the side, but the problem has somehow resolved itself.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #165
kabuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
Ya the u.v. in the 303b works well. It is only 9w but is enough.
I purchased my filter from the same seller, good guy and fast shipping.
Care to share a lil more of your experience on the UV of this filter?

I just got this model recently, and after a lot of reading, 360+ gph through a 9W UV is generally too much flow rate.

Did you experimented this to clear up green water or did it helped in removing some disease?
kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.