Principles of Aquascape Design - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Dryn, you can't write an a thread like this without getting someting back, good or bad. That is a powerful thread you have created and you will certainly strike a nerve with the populace here (both good and bad!!!). To think you wouldn't may have been a bit nieve on your part, however I applaud your efforts on attemping a collective ideal.

If you have cited other critiques or professional work, please cite them. It is only proper.

That said, don't think you need to defend yourself. i can assure you that Robert is only looking to provide what has been his experience. Take it for that. Debate and interpretation is healthy and is certainly something you have striven for in your initil post. I think his post was constructive... and so was yours. No need to make this "more" than what it is... just a nice discussion on principles and fundamentals of impression.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #17
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yes, I applaud your effort. It got us talking about the topic but it's a huge undertaking to write about PRINCIPLES of any sort. I think a few sentences about each points are way too brief, maybe expand on one principle at a time? And have a lot of pictures! This is a visual medium after all.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #18
jman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think this is a very interesting article, but it would be a lot easier to read if you bolded the main terms or added some more spacing.
jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Dryn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for your input. I will rewrite this article and attempt to include some sort of visual media. I have a few days free this week and I'll do it then. Look to see a rewrite on Friday.
Dryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Be sure to site any sources you have used. This makes this type of writing more credible. It is very interesting and with some editing and expansion in some of the areas; I think a lot of people would love this type of articl.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #21
Dryn
Algae Grower

I can only type online at work and all of my sources are at home. I will have to copy them down and bring them in when I complete my article. I went and got several more books at the library today as well as searched heavily online for articles on design: landscape, painting, garden, floral arrangement, etc. I will include those sources as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #22
Dryn
Algae Grower

I have to say, after reading all the books on design: landscape, photo, flower arrangement, architecture, etc. they all say pretty much the same thing as far as elements and principles of design go. Sure, some of the elements/principles are called something else and/or are combined together - they are the same. I'm not sure what design school my critiques went to, but I stand by my research. I do admit that it could be much better written. Look to see a better article on friday.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Dryn...it looks as though you have put alot of time and effort into your research and writing and for that . I myself, though, get lost in words and I am more on the visual/application side of learning where I like to see examples of what is being taught or conveyed. Below, I have posted a pic of my 90gal corner bowfront. Would you or anyone care to take these principles you share and critique my tank on where I have used these principles and where I haven't.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
Dryn
Algae Grower

Sorry, my computer won't read your picture. I will help if I can see it. Let me try a search.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Dryn
Algae Grower

Sorry, I cannot see any of your other pics. I have learned a lot recently. See my other post if you would.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Dryn
Algae Grower

I'm afraid that I cannot access the article I wrote (and the list of references) which I'll bring tomorrow but here is a start.

Rules of Aquascaping
1. Design must have healthy plants and fish.
2. Design must be original.
3. Design must be engaging.
4. Design should follow basic layout techniques.

These rules are based on reviewing contest guidelines and actual critiques of layouts that were entered. Only the last rule can be sometimes avoided but in every case I could find were a principle was omitted points were deducted. However, this didn't always lead to a failed design.

Principles of Aquascaping Design

1. Focalization - The design should pull the viewer in.
2. Flow - The viewer should be led through all parts of the design without interruption.
3. Balance - The design should not appear to have anything missing.
4. Feel - The design should provoke an emotional response from the viewer.

These principles are based on reviewing dozens of design principles, compiling them, and using the ones that applied the most. Other principles exist, but I think that they all can be traced back to these key ideas.

Elements of Aquascaping Design

1. Color
2. Line
3. Form
4. Texture

The variations in these elements are used to influence the principles of design. Like the principles, these elements are compilations based on reviews of dozens of design elements. Other elements exist but these apply the most to our design.

These rules, principles, and elements of aquascaping design are what I consider to be the most applicable to our hobby. They are my own ideas based on over a hundred books and articles about the principles of design and hundreds of contest entry critiques. There are other concepts out there. This post is meant to help those hobbyists looking to better understand aquascaping and if you are happy with your layouts then enjoy them!

Applying these Principles: layout technique
I will write another post on exactly how to use these principles to create a layout. I will include graphics and examples. Please be patient as this will take longer and I feel the need to solidify my choices of principles and elements before attempting it.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
RiverOtter
Algae Grower

That's getting more straightforward and engaging, Dryn. Really looking forward to it, now.
RiverOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #28
Dryn
Algae Grower

I'll try to post some usable concepts at lunch. I am still largely researching this part but it should be good.

One sample:

Using lines to create motion:

Diagonal lines give movement to a tank.
Vertical lines suggest power and add focus.
Horzontal lines are calming, peaceful, and give a feeling of tranquility.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #29
Frogmanx82
Planted Member

I'm with Dewall, it would be a lot easier to see examples what to do and not do.

55 gallon 2 wpg planted dosing excel with guppies, and shrimp
90 gallon mixed reef with clowns, gobies, and cardinals
150 gallon african cichlid tank with clown loaches
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #30
Gweneth
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryn View Post

Using lines to create motion:

Diagonal lines give movement to a tank.
Vertical lines suggest power and add focus.
Horzontal lines are calming, peaceful, and give a feeling of tranquility.
This is the sort of thing that I think would be really useful in an article about aquascaping principles, and the presentation of the information is nice and clear.