Greg's 75gal high tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
randylahey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Greg's 75gal high tech

SETUP:
Tank (dimensions): 48 x 18 x 20
Tank (gallons): 75
Substrate: Eco-complete original black
Filtration: 2 eheim 2075 with ehfimech, substrat pro, filter floss and Purigen.
Lighting: 48" Sunlight Supply Tek Light 4x54w T5HO with 4 sunblaster 6400k. 8 hours of 2 bulbs and a blast of all four for 6 hours in the middle of the light cycle
Heater: 300w eheim
Powerheads: 2 Hydor koralia 425 and Eheim skim 350
CO2 supply: 10lb aluminum tank, milwaukee ma957 regulator and DIY Reactor at about 3-4 bps. on and off 1 hr before lights on/off.

FAUNA(Fish):
12 blue rams
48 cardinal tetras
silver tipped bnp (4 regulars and one longfin)
12 otocinclus afinis
corys (5 elegans and 5 metae)
1 crossocheilus latius

FLORA(Plants):
Alternanthera Reineckii 'mini'
Anubias 'petite'
Bacopa Colorata
Bacopa Madagascarensis
Bucephalandra Brownie Purple
Bucephalandra Theia 9
Bucephalandra (ID unknown)
Cabomba Furcata
Crinum Calamistratum
Crypt Wendtii 'florida sunset'
Crypt Wendtii 'green gecko'
Crypt Wendtii 'mi oya'
Eriocaulon Parkeri
Fissidens Fontanus
Hygrophila Aragauia
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Lagenandra Meeboldii 'pink'
Lagenandra Nairii
Limnophila Repens
Limnophila Sessiflora
Limnophila Wavy
Lindernia India
Ludwigia Inclinata 'tornado'
Ludwigia Simpsonii x Repens
Micranthemum Umbrosum 'monte carlo'
Persicaria Kawagoeanum
Persicaria Praetermissa
Persicaria Sao Paolo
Pogostemon Helferi
Pogostemon Stellata
Proserpinaca Palustris
Rotala Mexicana 'goias'
Rotala 'pearl' mini type 1
Staurogyne Porto Velho
Vesicularia Ferriei 'weeping'

Last edited by randylahey; 11-29-2014 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: added plants
randylahey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
randylahey
Algae Grower

I bought a new 75g tank to replace my old beat up 90. I got it from king eds for a good price.(thanks ron!). So I figured it was a good time to start a journal.

I spent the last couple of evenings spraying on a background. I just grabbed a can of satin black rustoleum painter's choice ultra cover. It says it bonds to glass and plastics. I'm probably at 9 coats and the can is half full.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1413394109005.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	379801

I got 8 bags of eco-complete original black to replace the old oil absorbent substrate. The absorbent was good but, I found it to be too soft. It broke apart and made a bad dust cloud everytime i rescaped and i like to rescape

Hopefully, the black background and substrate will really allow the colours of all my plants to explode and create some depth.

Tonight is the night! I will be switching the tanks. I have an empty 10g tank to hold the livestock while i do the deed.

Stay tuned!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
ashurjames
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to ashurjames Send a message via Skype™ to ashurjames

Can you take a light picture, its to dark ?
ashurjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Can you show me your Lagenandra Nairii? I've never heard of that species before.

Also, a note about using only Eco-Complete. I was doing that in my high tech 75 for a while, with similar lighting and all to you, and tbh I kind of never really liked it by itself. I'm reshaping my tank soon and I'm going to use it to cap some dirt, maybe add some dolomite, potash, and other things to it as well. The eco-complete has no nutrients in and off itself, so in a high tech situation you're basically always going to have to be on top of your dosing regime.

Also, a recommendation, try and get some amano shrimp or something to deal with some algae, I feel like you can get away with it. Also, if you get any snail hitchhikers leave them, I find they help deal with algae and stuff very nicely. Maybe even add nerite snails since they are awesome for this.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
randylahey
Algae Grower

Well, it's done! It took about 4 hours from the first plant pulled to the last fishy back in. What an ordeal, whoa! My back hurt!
Overall, I'm really pleased with the way it looks. Sorry, I forgot to take a before shot.
Attachment 379993

Holy, my tek fixture seems a heck of a lot brighter. The first pic is with the exposure turned down. My phone camera has a hard time dealing with the brightness, time to get a decent camera.
Attachment 380001
I really would like to know what my PAR is at. Anybody have a meter in Vancouver, BC? Haha. Based on hoppys par thread,http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
Im 19" from bulb to substrate which is ~60par x 4 bulbs = ~240par did i do it right?

There's just a couple things on the to-do list. I need to trim the filter hoses to length and readjust the pipe locations. I will be ordering two sets of new lily pipes off ebay for a cleaner look. The tek light had no mounting accessories when I bought it. I made a canopy thing to hold it for the meantime but, I found a set of legs from a member on my local aquaria forum. I will be grabbing them this weekend

I dont really like seeing the heater there so, I might switch to a hydor inline. We'll see when the plants grow back.

Last edited by randylahey; 10-16-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
randylahey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Can you show me your Lagenandra Nairii? I've never heard of that species before.

Also, a note about using only Eco-Complete. I was doing that in my high tech 75 for a while, with similar lighting and all to you, and tbh I kind of never really liked it by itself. I'm reshaping my tank soon and I'm going to use it to cap some dirt, maybe add some dolomite, potash, and other things to it as well. The eco-complete has no nutrients in and off itself, so in a high tech situation you're basically always going to have to be on top of your dosing regime.

Also, a recommendation, try and get some amano shrimp or something to deal with some algae, I feel like you can get away with it. Also, if you get any snail hitchhikers leave them, I find they help deal with algae and stuff very nicely. Maybe even add nerite snails since they are awesome for this.
Lagenandra Nairii

Name:	1413468470051.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	380009

it is a behemoth of a plant.

I didn't want to use dirt as i like to rescape as I add new species and remove some old to me ones fairly often. I did add osmocote tabs to the substrate and yes, i stay on top of my dosing.

Name:	1413468851916.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	380017

The whole point of the tank switch was to have a new tank i could "trust" it when i move in with my girlfriend this February It will most likely be an apartment so I'm going to wait to add more livestock until then. But yes, I will be adding amanos and snails. I'm moving a bunch of red ramshorns from my 50.
How do the amanos fare with the fish i have? I added RCS once and the rams ate them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashurjames View Post
Can you take a light picture, its to dark ?
That's a pic of the empty tank being painted

Last edited by randylahey; 10-17-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
randylahey
Algae Grower

The pics didnt seem to attach right? I dunno.Click image for larger version

Name:	1413477425035.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	380025Click image for larger version

Name:	1413477446254.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	380033
Old 10-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
randylahey
Algae Grower

I Picked up a nice piece of sunk wood from fantasy aquatics and I'm really happy with the direction this scape is going. Plants are starting to get going again after the big switch.

Name:	1413510632282.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	380265
I split my anubias petite and fissidens and attached to the wood with fishing line. Anubias on the lower arms and moss all over the mid top section. I moved the nairii behind it so its leaves wouldn't shade out stem plants so much. I think it creates a nice upward flow.

Downsizing means I have to rework all the nutrient amounts for dosing EI. I started with the amounts on the yet another nutrient calculator and I'll watch and adjust accordingly. Time to break out the kit and do some tests.
I'm also running the same amount of co2 as I did in the 90. So far, everything looks good.

Heres a few pics of some plants

Ludwigia simpsonii x repens

Name:	1413510752381.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	380273

Crypt wendtii green gecko

Name:	1413510813687.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	380281

Rotala mexicana goias

Name:	1413510858898.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	380289
Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
randylahey
Algae Grower

Over the weekend, I made some changes on the lighting. I picked up some used legs for my tek fixture, a local group member had some kicking around in his garage.I also picked up a full compliment of giessmann bulbs from my lfs. I got two middays and 2 aquafloras and boy they do make a difference. The reds in plants show a lot more.

Name:	1414098018964.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	382746
Reinecki mini, Green gecko and rotala goias look a lot better.

Name:	1414098036784.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	382754

Name:	1414098063705.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	382762

Name:	1414098087397.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	382770
I had to increase my co2 output and dosing as i noticed some curling on the new growth. Man, i'm pumping co2.Unfortunately, I lost a few cardinal tetras in the process but, that was it.
I also got some ammania bonsai clippings this weekend from another member while picking up some ferts.I have tried this plant twice before and they melted quickly. Both tissue cultures, once from aquaflora and one tropica one two grow. I guess it's a tough one to transition. I moved a couple plants around and cleaned up a few more. Time to sit back and watch it grow out a bit. I'd like to pick up some more fissidens and some mini pellia for the hardscape.

Ludwigia tornado is propagating well now.Click image for larger version

Name:	1414098392116.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	382778
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #10
randylahey
Algae Grower

Halloween update!
Trick or treat!

Name:	1414817708953.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	386033Click image for larger version

Name:	1414817722005.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	386041
Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
Tylermn93
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Gonna look great when grown in! The ludwigia tornado is cool I've been thinking of getting some for myself.
Tylermn93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #12
navarro1950
Algae Grower

I'd like to see a pic of your DIY reactor. Can you post it?
navarro1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #13
randylahey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylermn93 View Post
Gonna look great when grown in! The ludwigia tornado is cool I've been thinking of getting some for myself.
Thanks, I'm really happy with it so far. Ludwigia tornado is one of my favourite species. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what it likes as i have only been keeping it for a couple months. Anyone have some pointers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarro1950 View Post
I'd like to see a pic of your DIY reactor. Can you post it?

Name:	1415339356208.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	388290
I guess it's a diy cerges reactor. The chamber is 20" long of 2" schedule 40 pvc. 3/4" pipe runs down inside the chamber to 2" from the bottom. The top fittings on the top of the chamber were cut and modified so there is no space above the water inlet for co2 to collect. I'm pushing a lot of co2 so i do get a little bit of gurgling noise near the end of my light cycle. I love it for a first design. It cost me a little over ten bucks as i had piping and glue from work.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #14
navarro1950
Algae Grower

Thanks I'm thinking about getting a reactor for my co2 when I get back home. I miss working with my tank very much.
navarro1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #15
randylahey
Algae Grower

Just a pic update. I've boosted my ferts and co2 since the last one. Bubble counter is unreadable now.
I took out a couple species, added one and moved a few more around. Since my last update, the growth is quite decent. First pic is three weeks ago and then today.

Name:	1415510440595.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	389186Click image for larger version

Name:	1415510481933.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	389194

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.