attaching java fern to driftwood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

attaching java fern to driftwood

Question for people who use the super glue to attach java fern to driftwood. The glue kind of burns when first applied. Wonīt it burn my fernīs rizhomes when I glue them?

How is it done? I have a large fern on a driftwood piece but I want to break it into small plants and cover a large piece of wood instead. Right now the driftwood is dry. So from what I understand, I cut pieces of fern from the rizhome including some roots, rizhome and leaves, then glue it to the wood directly? How long should I leave it to dry? Does it matter that the fern is all wet?

Thanks a lot
blackandyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
DragonFish71
Algae Grower

I just use cotton thread to tie it to the log. I'd be worried about adding any chemical to my tanks that isn't made for aquarium use. I've never done any research about using super glue, so I wouldn't know if it is safe.
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
dthb4438
Shrimp fanatic

PTrader: (67/100%)

I super glued all my rizhomes on the driftwood, let it dry for an hour or so. I put as little as possible on the rizhome, held it down for a few seconds for it to set, dried and all was perfect. At first the leaves died, but after two months, they came back beautifully. Check out my 29 gallon, the narrow leaf java fern. I have to start selling them off it is growing so fast.
dthb4438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
smp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I tied mine with dark gray cotton thread onto a dark gray rock. 2 months later you can't find the thread at all. Simple, easy and "Eco" friendly.

90 Gal, 4x65 CFL, 2 Eheim 2215, Pressurized C02
First attempt at planted
smp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
dthb4438
Shrimp fanatic

PTrader: (67/100%)

That's a good way, but sometimes you just don't have enough hands to hold, tie and hold some more while winding the thread. I used to do it that way until I found out that I didn't have 5 hands.
dthb4438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Alpinist
Algae Grower

I've superglued Java fern to some rocks during a water change when the rocks were above water. Just took a paper towel, dried off the spot on the rock as best as I could, blew off as much water as I could off the plant, dropped a drop or two of cyanoacrylate on the rock, placed the plant, held it for about 10 seconds or so, then finished my water change. Less than 5 minutes after the plant was glued it was underwater again with no problems.

I think one important thing to note is to make sure you're gluing the rhizome rather than just some of the roots. You may need to trim some roots back to get at the rhizome.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.
Alpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Superglue has saved me in several instances! It's fantastic. I do the same as Alpinist. I just tap a towel on the driftwood so it isn't sopping wet, drop a bit of glue on the plant or wood and drop it back in the tank. If it is safe enough for saltwater where they spend sometimes thousands on fish and coral, it is safe enough for me. So far in my tank, no fish or shrimp has ever been harmed by superglue.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reefers use superglue daily. Check out Reef Central, it's a way of life for them. Superglue WILL NOT hurt your tank, fish or plants. Go to ANY LFS that has a frag tank, you'll see 100's of frags, all superglued to disc's, in the same tank.
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. The problem of using cotton thread (last time I used surgery thread) is that the wood piece is enormous (itīs the centerpiece of the aquarium). I would have to pass the thread all over the wood and that would definitely stand out. Iīm planning to pretty much fill the top section of the wood.

Will take some pics of the woods for you guys to share your opinions, and thanks a lot.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
DavidZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can drill a hole in the dw.
DavidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

use monofilament fishing line. Power Pro makes a green line, you won't see it
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
GTR
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've glued 1,000's of corals with superglue gel. The 99Ē would always give me funny looks when I bought 20 3-packs at a time. lol

When used in SW after the initial set time either the carbonates or bicarbonates actually accelerated the cure time.

SteveU
GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #13
blackandyellow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ended up glueing them with the super glue. so far they seem to be doing fine and nothing has died yet. I just used a little bit on the edges of the rizhomes. let`s hope it stays there