My 2nd pond build 3000G... in progress - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hi,
I have been ponding for almost 23 years. I learnered early on that a pond is like living art, as it is always changing. Looks like your having fun :-) IMHO you do not need a uv light. All you need is filtration and a lot of floaters. You will fiind that they will provide shaded areas in your pond which becomes importanyt when fighting off all types of algea, especially with having fun sun most of the day. My pond gets full sun for about 4 hours a day, is algea free & clear as a bell.
happy ponding
Regards,
Aquaticz
Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I agree my first pond, had no aglae and 80% plants. The UV is off unless I need it. It's in the filter anyway. This pond may only get 4-6 hours of direct sun due to a tree which should also keep algae away.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

I started the laying the flag stone, may need more than 1 Ton, since I wanted to have a walk way all the way around of flag stone. Pond had a huge algae blooom that cleared on its own. Can see right to the botom now so clarity is good. Added Tetrapond DHP at 3600 GPH and will use 2500GPH pump in timed bursts to circulate stuff on the bottom into the water column for the other pump to pick up.

Added 2 more $20 Koi to the pond so I have a total of 5 now, all the fish seem to love the depth and stay at about 4' down all the time. Waiting for pond stores to start carrying plants to add lilliles and floating plants.

I made a flagstone bridge over the inlet from the falls basin to the main pond .

Added floating skimmer which works really well, clears the surface in an hour or so.

Water fall needs more rocks, still some sitting on the drive way.
Water fall basin before it drains into the main pond, it's about 8"-10" deep.

Pictures of the new KOI, they are too deep to get a good shot

Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
Digital
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital

That's really awesome. I always wanted to do a pond. But this is great to be apart of!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
April Lynn
Algae Grower

Looks great! I wish I had space for a large pond!
April Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Koi are doing well, water is still clear to 4.5' so filter is working well.

Added 2 water lillies one 3' down and one 1.5' down, both have sent pads to the surface in less than a week, Added some marginal plants 1' down (purple Iris, Elephant ear and yellow Iris), threw in some anchris and parrots feather.

A few pics of the progress so far.

Added walkway to the waterfalls.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #22
shane3fan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

looks very nice--I like your ponds!
shane3fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
ryndisher
Planted Member

PTrader: (38/100%)

Wow looks great.
ryndisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #24
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

lillies and marginals are all growing well, some blooms starting to hit the surface, this pond only gets 4 hour of sun so not sure if I will get blooms or not.

Koi are growing noticable and all seem to school together a lot

so far pretty happy with this ponds progress. water is crystal clear to 4.5' depth. Barrel filter and bog filter are working very well to keep it clean.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #25
jinx©
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very nice, and I'm envious..lol...There's one in my future for sure, but until then I'll keep enjoying the beautiful ones posted on the forums here.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #26
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Looks great, I haven't had a pond in years I miss it a bunch. Unfortunately small neighbors and no fences keep the pond option nonexistent...

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #27
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I find a the ponds are relaxing and really low maintenance with plants doing a lot of filtering. The kids love to feed the fish every morning before schoold and check on lilly blooms.

Here's a shots from upstairs showing both ponds. Still have some space for a 3rd pond, lol.

I'm working on the landscaping around the big ponds waterfall, plants have not carpeted yet, only planted a couple of weeks ago.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #28
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

I bet it makes you want your kids to grow up faster so the swing set can be removed... lol

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #29
wootlaws
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

amazing, thanks so much for sharing your progress of the pond!
wootlaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks I had fun building both ponds both hand dug them both in 100% clay.

Unfortuantely I'm moving and the new owners didn't want a pond so 8 hours of solid digging I filled both ponds, sold fish and plants 2 weeks ago. What it looks like now.

My GF wants me to dig another pond at the new house. Looking forward to starting the new pond with all I have learned about pond building and filter design, water falls, over wintering Koi (all my fish overwintered fine under the ice). I will start another thread once I move.

Just gotta find space next to the pool. The new house has a small pondless water fall that I plan on digging out to make a pond for 1 or 2 Koir or shubkins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.