65 gal long poor man's budget tank (sorry 56Kers)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

65 gal long poor man's budget tank (sorry 56Kers)

Thanks to some people on here, and some people on my local plant group site, www.miapg.com the michigan aquatic plant group, I was able to put together my first planted tank.

I've been keeping african cichlids for over a year, but never messed around with much more. After having a nice display tank and also breeding tanks, I"ve grown a bit bored with the africans. They look nice, but they just don't do as much for me. So I wanted to start something a little different and more fun.

Being that I"m on an extremely small budget, I was lucky enough to beable to do a decent low tech set up.

So far I have spent:

$40 on 2 coral life 48" t5 NO lights
$15 on substrate
$30 on driftwood
$0 on tank 65L 48x12x24 (buddy gave it to me was new with a chip)
$0 on stand (bought a tank and resold it for more than I paid and kept accessories)
$0 glass lids from same tank transaction
$10 on filtration (AC110 and AC 70)
$22 on plants (most were generously given to me by miapg.com members)
$80 on fish (5 denison, 9 pentazona, 3 gold, 8 black ruby barbs, 1 flying fox, 1 featherfin cat, 2 geo. surinamensis)

So less than $200 bucks.

I'm using baseball infield clay mix and some sort of aquatic planting mix (maybe SMS) that I got for dirt cheap from the LFS that they had left over after doing their display tanks.

I'm dosing with excel and the comprehensive fert with no problems yet. I'm hoping that I don't need additional ferts.

I set the tank up after getting most of the stuff needed, but really just threw it together. I didn't even wash out the substrate. Well, that turned out to be sort of a mistake because I hated it and needed to take it down an re-do it. It was a good learning experience though.

Here's the first try:

I thought the first try turned out pretty lame. Too flat. The red substrate is sorta ugly. It's all around just kind of boring. Even once I added plants, it was just uninteresting. Plus, like I said I didn't wash out the substrate, so it was VERY VERY VERY silty. That's why I have the additional HOB on the front and have a cannister running on it to try to filter it out. It cleared up fine, but any time the geos were working, or if I tried to plant anything, it clouded up very easily.

Here are some pictures after I added more plants, but it still wasn't doing much for me...

Right:

Left:

So being that I was disappointed with the look of the tank, I decided to take it down and start over...

Sorry some of these pictures are foggy... I had just brought my camera in from the cold and the lens fogged up.. I didn't want to slow my progress, so i just took the junky photos...

put the red calcined clay infield mix down as a base... then starting to cover it with the darker plant soil... also stuck some rocks in there:

Adding wood and some plants and a nifty garbage bag background

Adding more plants... I can see I should have tried harder to keep the red substrate below the trim on the glass, but oh well. YOu only really see that with the flash...

Overhead Left:

Overhead Right:

MOst of the plants in... time to fill'er up

Teacup and saucer method:

FULL!!!

Clearing up!

Yay!!! All clear!

Next day, good and clear... (also shows my custom fish artwork from my cousin.. lol)

Left side

Time for fish!!! (sorry they're just blurs.. I was not using a flash.. )

99% finished... I think I need some more fore ground plants, although there are quite a few. They are just very small.

So thanks for looking!!!!

Just your basic planted tank, nothing fancy or very creative. I didn't have to customize anything, or do anything at all but set it up. I had been collecting/floating the plants for some time... collecting the wood... just slowly getting enough stuff together to slap it all together. Which is what I did with the first go around. I'm really glad I took it down and gave it another shot. I'm really a lot more happy with try #2.

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions are more than welcome!!! Help me make the most of my tank!!!
non_compliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
lisa_v
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hi fellow Michigander the new set up looks awesome, nice job.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
badmatt
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt

Looks great! I wouldnt change anything!
Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

And I thought I was thrifty!

Great job, especially for your very first planted tank!

I think the driftwood arrangement is a little distracting, though, my eye has a hard time both figuring out where to start and where to go from there...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
No, you're *cheap*.

Nice looking tank!
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
No, you're *cheap*.
Hey, now! Look out buster, I'mma remember that...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

Great job, especially for your very first planted tank!

I think the driftwood arrangement is a little distracting, though, my eye has a hard time both figuring out where to start and where to go from there...

Which piece do you think is distracting? I didn't have GREAT pieces to work with, but I certainly wanted to get some height out of them. I think maybe I"m a bit better at working with rock.

Here's 2 of my cichlid tanks...

85 gal hap/peacock

75 gal cichlid bomb explosion

Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

The big piece on the right draws my attention first, but then doesn't "flow" into the rest of the tank. All the pieces are "pointing" out in different directions, there's no cohesiveness... does that make sense?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do know what you mean...I probably should have turned that piece on teh right around... so that both sides were high, and teh middle was low.. which would have went along with the valley that I built.. Hmm... maybe I"ll have to make some adjustments.... I just put a boatload more plants in tonight too... :\
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #10
AgNO3
Algae Grower

And I thought I had the cheapest stand. :P I think that should grow in really nicely.
AgNO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I took some more pictures last night after I added a quite a few plants. Had a bunch of little guys left floating around in my holding tank... so I added them. ALso added a bunch of Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae that was given to me recently. It was in pretty rough shape, but I was able to salvage quite a bit of it, and I think it'll come back nicely as the roots seemed to be in tact.

Here is a pic that shows some of the new plants... filled in around the foreground, and under the big piece of driftwood. Also added more Rotala in the back, and more pogostemon

These next 2 pictures just show the tank with the fish swimming around... I upped the shutter speed to beable to make the fish less blurry... but now the pics are pretty dark. I tried to correct the exposure and dodge some areas, but they're still pretty dark... I think you'll get the gist though.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Great tank and photography!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Jake, I can't wait to see it fill in... I'm just hoping I won't have a maintenance nightmare on my hands...

My tank journals 65 Gallon Long & 33 gal
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
I'm just hoping I won't have a maintenance nightmare on my hands...
What, thats the fun part!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Great tank! The difference between the first go and second is really terrific.

Well done!
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote