LFS: Reef Encounter - Hackensack, NJ
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 08-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

LFS: Reef Encounter - Hackensack, NJ

Reef Encounter
504 Hudson St.
Hackensack, NJ

Reef Encounter is a pretty good shop. Freshwater fish selection is less than stellar, but they do carry Amano shrimp at good prices and they have Cherry Red shrimp on occasion. Plant selection is spotty, but they usually have a good selection of Swords and Aponogetons.

DRY GOODS! This is the place to go for dry goods! Their prices are the best in the area, and their selection is great. They carry almost all brands of filter and parts. Tons of filter media and pads. Lots of plant supplies and aquarium maintenance equipment.

If you need it, odds are they've got it!

Mike
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Last time I went there to get shrimp (2 months or so ago) they told me they were no longer going to be stocking them. Do they still have them?
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Yes they do George!

Mike
Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
ronin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Definitely THE place to go for dry goods. Only place I was able to find the JBJLighting Desktop Formosa that I needed for my 5.5 gal tank. And price isn't bad either. Ok selection of plants (what they do have seems to be in pretty good shape though) but depending on the tank you get them from you may need to inspect for snails in case you don't want those guys getting into your tank.

Freshwater fish selection definitely is a bit below par. Mostly staple freshwater fish and that's about it. Seemed to have a pretty good marine selection though.
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

You must have hit them at a good time for plants, Ronin. They are ususally pretty fair at best. Lots of algae in with the plants as well, unfortunately. What did they have?

Mike
Old 02-07-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
ThomE
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to ThomE Send a message via Yahoo to ThomE

Ronin,

Do they still have Amano shrimp? and how much? I'm going to visit my brother up there. I might stop by.

TIA,
Thom
ThomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:31 AM   #7
ronin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
You must have hit them at a good time for plants, Ronin. They are ususally pretty fair at best. Lots of algae in with the plants as well, unfortunately. What did they have?

Mike
Oh yeah, forgot about the algae part. I'm usually not too worried about algae cause I have enough shrimp and oto/plecos to take care of 'em plus I usually give the plants a rinse before I add them to my tanks. Mmm, I picked up a bunch of great-looking corkscrew vals the 2nd to last time I was there but when I went to get more (a week later), the remaining were looking rather ragged and much taller than I remembered. But don't remember much else of what they had. As you said they generally have a decent selection of swords and occassionally sagitarria. Remember some good looking cabomba and anubis as well.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
ronin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomE
Ronin,

Do they still have Amano shrimp? and how much? I'm going to visit my brother up there. I might stop by.

TIA,
Thom
Nope, didn't see any shrimp when I was there. They had a tank with a label for tiger shrimp at I think $2.99 but couldn't actually see any in the tank.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Nope, didn't see any shrimp when I was there. They had a tank with a label for tiger shrimp at I think $2.99 but couldn't actually see any in the tank.

Nowadays they have a steady supply of Amanos
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

holy thread resurrection batman!!!
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote