New 29g low tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Tiff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 29g low tech

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and new to a planted tank. I'm very excited for the outcome! I currently have a 29g with two T5 lights (2x18W) and Eco Complete as the substrate. I have two anubias and one java fern in the tank so far...and I have 2 crypt balansae, 6 crypt walkeri, and 3 crypt wendtii (red) coming tomorrow (not sure if that is too many or maybe not enough to start?)! I have two separate questions that I'm hoping for some feedback on.

I've read the wendtii red can become really tall but not in all situations. Do you suggest that I place them in the back of the tank or should I place the walkeri in the back? I'm not sure which will become taller. I know I will be place the balansae in the back corner. (I currently have the java fern in the back right corner).

Regarding fertilizing...I am using Eco Complete because I thought it would have enough nutrients for a low light/tech tank which would require no feritilizing. Is this true? My tank has been up and running about a month now. If I do need to fertilize...what fertilizers do you suggest and how often?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'm not clear- you're running ONE 2-bulb T5 fixture over this tank, or TWO fixtures (total of 4 bulbs)?

ONE fixture already puts you at the top of the "low light" range (I know, b/c I've got one over my own 29gal), so if you're running 2 you either need to drop one, or add CO2 to the tank.

In regards to your crypt question... unfortunately, it's impossible to predict for sure. Different plants will grow differently in different people's tanks. Actually, they'll even grow differently in the SAME tank- just move a crypt a few inches over and sometimes it grows entirely different.

Keep in mind that plants are always "reaching" for light- so a crowded plant often will grow a bit taller than a plant that isn't so crowded (as long as the light isn't completely blocked off).

And no, you definitely don't have too many plants for your tank.

You may not need to fertilize depending on your bioload- what do you have this tank stocked with? There's a good sticky on fertilization at the top of the water parameter forum, too.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Tiff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I apologize for the confusion on the lighting. I'm running just one 2-bulb T5 fixture over the tank (Coralife). I don't plan on ever adding CO2 to the tank and I am hoping this light fixture will be good for this size tank and the plants that I've selected.

I currently have 6 Cardinal Tetras and just added 6 Harlequin Rasboras today. I'm hoping to eventually get two blue rams in a couple of weeks (and possibly otos if ever run into algae issues). Speaking of algae..one of my anubias is starting to get brown on the edges. I heard that can happen in a new tank. Possible algae already? I am hoping there are no nutrient deficiences and that it will be ok.

I've been doing HOURS AND HOURS (no lie!) of research on planted tanks and just want to make sure I do everything right so that my fish and plants are happy. My crypts are coming tomorrow and I know they don't like to be moved so I want to make sure I do things right the first time.

Thanks again for your feedback. I really really appreciate it!
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Brown algae is normal for new tank setups, and Anubias is especially prone to it b/c it's so slow-growing. Otos and Amano shrimp can both do a good job with brown algae, and several other algaes as well, so you may want to think about stocking some or both of those.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.