Filter for a 75 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Filter for a 75 gallon

I am setting up my 75 gallon low light and need a filter. Should I use an eheim 2217 or a Rena XP3 or Fluval 405 or two Aquaclear 70's? Need to know as soon as possible. I heard eheims are good but they have the lowest flow rate of the filter options I have. So please, which one and possible why that one?
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I had a Rena XP3 on a 40 gallon tank, and felt I had to supplement the flow with a powerhead in the tank. I wouldn't even consider using less flow on a 75 gallon tank. But, I had a high light, pressurized CO2 setup, not a low light, non-CO2 setup.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

So which filter should I use? For now I can use a canister and then later supplement it with a hob or powerhead i guess. But what kind of main canister is good?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'd use an XP3 or 2217 in combo with another filter. I always advocate dual filters on large tanks as a failsafe in case one should stop working for whatever reason.

I think you mentioned somewhere that you already have an AC 70. I'd run that in combo with one of the bigger canisters since you already have it. You may need to supplement flow with a powerhead going this route, though, since AC's don't generate that much flow. If you're dosing CO2 on the tank, you may want to avoid HOB filters all together due to outgassing.

Personally, I'd probably end up with 2x XP3s or 2217s on the tank.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

I am trying to do a low light low tech kind of setup for the 75 so I will not be using co2. I can use the xp3 in addition to a AC but isn't the point of having the canister filter the fact that it is rated for above my tank size and shouldn't need a supplement? I mean, I understand the point of having a back up filter but needing something to supplement a filter rated for 125 gallons on a 75 will always confuse me. Maybe someone can explain this to me but it just seems a little much when I see some members running two eheim 2217's on a 55 gallon.....I dont know.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
mszabo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think I just gave my opinion in your other thread. I'm a little curious myself by the Eheim 2200 series. Is this just their low-budget line or is it supposedly something new. I've been out of it a while and the XP3 used to be compared with the 2026 as an equivilant filter which is a bit more expensive.

I didn't mention in the other thread but I used a XP3 on a 90 gallon planted tank with low tech but somewhat high (2x96W PC) lighting. I ended up taking the tank down because it was overgrown with Val. and I had a new baby to take care of instead.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
GTR
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

As a biological filter the XP3 would be just fine IMO. It's other things like flow where a single filter might not be enough. I run 2 on my 90g and get by but could still use more circulation in the tank to prevent dead spots.

SteveU
GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

A low tech non-CO2 setup would be fine with just one of the canisters you mentioned, IMO. Your plant mass probably won't be as heavy as high tech tank so there won't be the associated issues with circulation. If after a while you decide you need more you can always add another filter or powerhead. I've used fluvals for years with no problems. They're all good choices and each I'm sure has its "quirks". If it were me I think I'd get whichever I could get the best price on including media unless you're dead-set on a certain one.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the XP3 alone won't give you enough flow and you'll get dead spots in your tank.

I'm running an XP3 and an XP4 on my own 90gal. I started off with just an XP2 and AC 110, and slowly upgraded as my plants filled in, and as I watched debris and food fall I realized I needed more flow.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 View Post
I am trying to do a low light low tech kind of setup for the 75 so I will not be using co2. I can use the xp3 in addition to a AC but isn't the point of having the canister filter the fact that it is rated for above my tank size and shouldn't need a supplement? I mean, I understand the point of having a back up filter but needing something to supplement a filter rated for 125 gallons on a 75 will always confuse me. Maybe someone can explain this to me but it just seems a little much when I see some members running two eheim 2217's on a 55 gallon.....I dont know.
Filter manufacturers use their own formulas to say how big a tank their filters will work for. Those don't mean a lot, if they mean anything at all, when you have a planted tank. And, as you can see, there isn't any general agreement here about just how much filtration a low light, non-CO2 tank needs. If you used just one filter, and later decided you wanted two, that would be a good time to get a second one. How is that for a compromise? I think a single canister filter is enough for that size tank, and if you want more water circulation in the tank, a Koralia-type powerhead is easy to add, and much cheaper than a canister filter.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Well I picked up the tank today and I bought the Rena XP3...very excited!!! But I can't set up the tank until the new year because before I fill and setup the tank, I'm redoing the tile in my living room where the tank will be set up so.....sadly I have to wait and look at the tank sitting in the garage begging to be filled up.

Anyway the really good news....besides having the XP3, a good friend of mine gave me some great news. She bought a canister filter just 2 months ago and it just doesn't suit her needs so she is going to give it to me for free. It is a Marineland Magnum 350. She said it works great and all but she can't stand maintaining it. Every time she opens it to clean it, she said something about the seal is so tight that it pulls the cover of where the carbon goes, and the carbon flys all over the place or something like that. I am not familiar with that filter but for free, I'll see if I can figure it out and hopefully make use of it.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
fish h20
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You lucky dog! Planted tanks don't need carbon anyway. Just take out the carbon and you are good to go!
fish h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

That's what i was thinking. I don't even need the carbon. Maybe I can fill it with something else....