Do Cory cats and oto's eat snail?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)

Do Cory cats and oto's eat snail?

Hello All,

My snail count was getting pretty high for a while in my 29g. I have one Albino Cory and 4 Oto's that have been in there from the start. The cory has been getting bigger and the snail population has droped from 100+ to just a few. The odd thing is, I don't see many empty shells in the tank. That Cory is always busy, though I never seen him eat any snalls. Can one Cory eat that many snails? Shells and all?

Any ideas?

Thank you,

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
zzyzx85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)

It's possible. I've read reports of corys eating snails, though I've never seen them do it personally, especially out of the shell. Most fish love crushed snails.
EHFIPIMP #324: 2x 2215 - Victor/dual-stage Pimp #15: VTS253A
zzyzx85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Hmmm..... The only other fish I have in that tank are 8 Neon Tetras and 4 Rummynose. I never see them looking for anything other then flakes at the surface or "matter" floating around the tank. I just assumed it's the Cory. He is growing fast but I have yet to actually see him eat one.....

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Whoops, sorry. I also have one Threadfin rainbow fish(male) in there.

75G High Tech
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Hello All,

My snail count was getting pretty high for a while in my 29g. I have one Albino Cory and 4 Oto's that have been in there from the start. The cory has been getting bigger and the snail population has droped from 100+ to just a few. The odd thing is, I don't see many empty shells in the tank. That Cory is always busy, though I never seen him eat any snalls. Can one Cory eat that many snails? Shells and all?

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Neither, Corys and Otos do not eat snails.

What kind of snails?? If they're MTS .... they're probably burrowed deep in the substrate.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

You know, I'm not sure what kind of snails.... Some just came with the plants that I got from the LFS and some came from a local pond. I will look them up to see what I have/had...

75G High Tech
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Pond snails and Ramshorn Snails. Do they also burrow?

75G High Tech
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
rasetsu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

No, they don't. What's probably happening is that your new additions are causing enough disturbance in the tank to keep the snails in hiding.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Ariel301
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've noticed my snail populations go through cycles where they will build up until there are a ton of them, and then decline and nearly disappear before building back up. I do find some empty shells, but I don't know if they are being eaten or dying of other causes. It's possible yours are being eaten. I wouldn't complain lol.

You should get a friend or two for that threadfin. They're much more interesting in groups, especially if you throw a couple of females in the mix.
Ariel301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the replies! Believe it or not, even when the snails were big in population, they didn't bother me. Just out of dumb luck I guess, they were never on the front of the glass and never harmed anything.

I was going to get a female Theadfin but my buddy convinced me not to. He said that allot of males (in his experience) chase the females around so much that they get stressed out, can't eat and die. He chases my Rummy Nose Tetras around all day long, flaring his fins but they don't seem to mind at all. He seems happy also. They look so delicate! He is healthy as a mull though!

75G High Tech
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Ariel301
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you are going to keep threadfins with females, it's just like livebearers or african cichlids--best to keep a trio of one male for two females. Threadfins do best in schools, I think. But if they are alone, they will school with a different species...I used to have an Australian rainbow female who lost her mate when he jumped out of the tank and died, and she took up with a widowed sailfin molly. The two were best friends until they both died on the same day.
Ariel301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

I didn't know that. I will have to get two females. That would be neat to see 3 "schools " of fish. The threadfins(even the females) aren't bad looking fish.

75G High Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.