Olympics!! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #31
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Not to run this off-topic, or get into debates with Yankee Fans, but that was not Baltimore
It was the Baltimore Orioles. Jeffery Maier grabbed the ball before it cleared the right field wall in Yankee Stadium during the 1996 ALCS. The kid pulled the ball away from Orioles right fielder, Tony Tarasco, giving Derek Jeter a homerun.

Mike
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #32
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

LOL, you're right, no more booze for me today.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #33
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

AND USA SWEEPS the Men's 400m!!!
That was amazing!!!
Track is the sport I probably watch the most...
can't wait for the relays!! Thats gonna be really good!!

On a side question...
How Old do you guys think Bob Costa's is?
every single olympics that i remember, he was the main host guy...
and he looks the same too...
What if he's a computer generation....hahahaha
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #34
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Your right. I think Costas and Dick Clark are related.
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #35
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is annoying me is how Costas is trying to throw a little humor into what he is saying (that or it's the writers.) Either way, Costas delivery is about as decent as Carson Daly's. What's even worse is that after he says it he does the smirk and head twitch ala Greg Kinnear Talk Soup Days. It might be amusing to Costas (It seems like he's amusing himself), but to me it just looks lame. Thumbs Down Costas and NBC.

Oh, and how about that GALA of Gymnastics last night. I'm sure you all wanted to watch the exact same routines they had been preforming all olympics. They could have atleast shown something of interest that was fresh instead of the same old garbage they've been showing all along. Oh Goodie, I get to see Paul Hamm do the high-bar routine that he's done 5 times now (Prelims, Overall Individual, Team Overall, Etc. Etc.)

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #36
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

But with music!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #37
Bonsai
Planted Member

What truly annoys me is the predominantly Greek audience booing & hissing at the US athletes. They booed the 20-year US boxers when they beat up on their (seasoned - professional Olympians) opponents. I was disgusted watching the men's volleyball cause they booed & hissed everytime we served the ball or got a point .... at the Peace & Friendship Arena. Unless someone was "dirty" there is no excuse to boo an athlete at the Olympics - regardless of their nationality. On a sidenote: Costas sucks .... he's on HBO's football show and made a bet w/ the other guys last season and lost .... the other losers of the bet paid up as agreed by dressing up in KISS outfits but Costas didn't and even left the set at one point because Collingsworth rode him for not honoring his bet. He's not funny, not witty, and a sour loser. NBC also sucks ... fortunately, I get CBC in Michigan which has been my staple Olympics station.
Bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #38
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The booing is very tasteless, yes. It doesn't surprise me, though, with all the anti-American sentiment prevalent these days. Oh well. I'm like Derek Jeter - I can enjoy the booing as much as the cheering because either way - you know you're kicking butt. The only time it really gets to me is when the comittee tries to squelch victory celebrations. Sheesh, let the guys pump their fists in the air for crying out loud! I'm not saying they should begin NFL-style endzone celebrations, but as long as the celebrations are tasteful, then go for it.
A good example of a tasteless celebration would be the Fencing Gold Medal winner from France that turned his sword to the American he just defeated and pretended to shoot machine gun fire. Uhhh, okay.

As for Costas - he obviously has no clue about most of the events he is announcing, but that kinda helps me out. I have no clue what constitutes a good dive or a good uneven bar routine. His naive questions help the non-diehards like me.
GulfCoastAquarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #39
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL, Next thing you know someone is going to want to do a celebration where they run over to something and pull a cell phone out of it. Joe Horn, eat your heart out..

Matt
Old 08-26-2004, 03:06 PM   #40
Bonsai
Planted Member

Curbing the celebrations is WEAK .... these athletes work their butts off to get their and win so I think they should be allowed to celebrate. Hey, if the french guy wants to point his sword at the American to "shoot" him .... tasteless but fine with me .... however, that explains why we had to carry guns into Europe to bail their butts out .... twice
Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 PM   #41
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

After seeing the girls beach vollyball team celebrate over and over I say let the celebration begin!!
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:22 AM   #42
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

So what do you guys think about the Iraq Soccer team?
I really hope they win the bronze. When they first came out in the opening ceremonies I was amazed, and then when they started winning, I was really hoping they'd get the gold! Even though they won't get a gold, I hope they win a Bronze...

and ... USA SWEEPS THE 200m!!! WOO WOO!! then Gold and Silver in Long JUmp!!

Sorry for all my track Rants... it's just that I run a lot, so I'm really into the track events.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #43
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbotummy
So what do you guys think about the Iraq Soccer team?
I think it's really great how well they are doing. I would have liked to have seen them take a gold. Even a bronze would be a great. Even if they don't win a medal that have accomplished quite a bit for their country and given their people something to believe in. You can't buy that. Seeing the video of the iraqi people watching their soccer time in the olympics and how excited everyone was there to see their team performing so well was a great moment for me. I will never forget those videos. It's great seeing a nation get behind their atheletes, and seeing the world come together. The Olympics is a remarkable tradition and one that needs to continue till the end of time.

Matt
Old 08-28-2004, 02:12 AM   #44
Bonsai
Planted Member

It was nice seeing the Iraq soccer team do well. However, that Argentina team is just so good and so great to watch .... I think that they will spank Paraguay. I'm a track guy too so it's awesome seeing us sweep the 200 & 400. Those 4x400 & 4x100 relay teams are going to FLY!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #45
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Im really disapointed with the crowds at teh olympics... The Greeks boohing and carring on for 10 minutes just cause their guy was too lazy...or too scared (probably doping).. to show up for his drug test (was it TWICE). That is just POOR SPORTSMANSHIP... its one thing to boo for a bad call or unsportsmanlike behavior from an athlete (like knee to a the groin),,but that was totally uncalled for. And, after reading another persons post, I hear A LOT of booing and hissing and etc directed at the USA, the usa gets a point or gets posestion or a higher score and that gets BOOS... that is just s**ty! And then, I had to laugh at this one, Greece blew it, literally. Durring their volleyball tournament with the US the crowd had those stupid whisles(how smart was that!!) and they blew them, throughing off the greek team and costing them a point. If I was there I pry would get kicked out...I would definitly start breaking the wistles and air horns of people around me till security carried me off or I started a riot.