Olympics!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-24-2004, 12:32 AM   #16
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Anybody else having some issues with the commentators on NBC? These people seem to think if USA doesn't have a chance at the gold it's pathetic. They act like if it isn't gold it isn't important. Just be happy we have people competing in the Olympic games for our country, no matter what the outcome is.
I haven't watched much of the coverage at all. As an ex high school pole vaulter, I love track and field, and find it unfortunate that almost all of the field events go uncovered, or receive just a "gloss over". I am not interested in the events TV does cover.

Thing is, with events like this, networks tend to bring out commentators who don't do sports events normally. If they do cover sports, they don't do it as frequently as they did. Many of these people also have a very limited knowledge of the sports they are covering. Sure they can cover baseball, football and basketball, but they don't normally cover events like javelin, steeplechase or hammer throw.

As an event, the Olympics draw in a lot of people who don't normally watch sports. The games become entertainment more than sport and the networks start to throw in all of those maudlin human interest stories, which bore most sports fans to tears. I can't watch them.

Mike
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 12:48 AM   #17
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I enjoy the winter olympics much more then the summer games... to me its kinda...

Of course not to take anything away from the athletes, they are indeed amazing !

Give it back Hamm...
Old 08-24-2004, 12:59 AM   #18
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would NOT give the medal to them.. It is a "judged" event. It is open to interpretation of the judges. The Korean's did not bring up the despute till days AFTER the even had happened, the olympic laws and rules state that disputing a judged event needs to be brought up at the end of the event (right at the end)... They are S.O.L. If they are not bright enough to notice the facts after they see a lower than normal score on the board then that is their loss and they should drop it. Paul won...by the rules (maybe not fair and square), but according to the rules of the competion. If we allow them to do this, then ALL the events should be reviewed and replayed in slow-mo and the REAL winners awarded!! Think about the confusion that would cause! What about the japanese (i think) swimmer that was accused of dolphin kicking in his event. They never caught him at the time.. but there was footage to prove it. The whole thing was dropped. It is part of the olympics....

If you really want to say who is the better man... Korea should just drop it and admit that they didn't bring it up within the time allotted by the rules of competition. If the US thinks that they are going to win points by allowing them to talk our olympic comity into giving in, then they are wrong... I highly doubt they would do the same.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:03 AM   #19
mario
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedge
If the US thinks that they are going to win points by allowing them to talk our olympic comity into giving in, then they are wrong... I highly doubt they would do the same.
I kinda agree with you. I don't think he should give it back either. However, as your quote goes, it can also be reversed. If Hamm would have been screwed out of 0.1 points and would have gotten the silver, I think the same stuff would be going down right now, only with the roles reversed.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:07 AM   #20
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Kind of like the figure skating fiasco in the last winter olympics.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #21
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been watching many events, including track and field. I guess maybe I am lucky, but I have NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo, and USA. All these channels are showing events. I've been watching judo, archery, whitewater kayaking, sailing, fencing, equestrian, weightlifting, shot put, and events like those on the odd ball channels. NBCOlympics.com shows you when what is on. Of course if you don't have all these channels and just NBC, you have to watch the more mainstream sports. I wonder why they are showing soo much beach volleyball on NBC. Must be getting high ratings.. I wonder why..

Also I forgot to respond to Mario. You are correct on the other teams being full of professionals. I tend to think of non-NBA players as not being professionals but that is not the case. Even minor league players and other Elite leagues around the world are full of professionals. Team USA is just being beaten by a teams of pro's that atleast play as a team.

Momo: I wasn't talking about the lamness of the commentating. They point out the obvious, but I understand why. The Olympics is something that many people that don't understand many sporting events watch. What is annoying to me is how let down and disgusted some sound when USA is out of medal contention. They start moaning when they aren't in contention for gold. I guess the commentators only think american's care if their atheletes are going for gold.

I also like the winter olympics better, but I still like watching the summer games aswell.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2004, 01:21 AM   #22
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

We do want gold... who really wants to watch losers..lol
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #23
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
What is annoying to me is how let down and disgusted some sound when USA is out of medal contention. They start moaning when they aren't in contention for gold. I guess the commentators only think american's care if their atheletes are going for gold
Ahhh!

Could be two things:
1. Jingoism
2. The sound of the ratings sliding downward as America flips the channel when it's athletes falter

Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 02:09 AM   #24
mpb
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedge
The only thing that makes me mad is that, since I don't have cable or sat, I don't get to see the cool events.. like fencing and weight lifting.. or other weird stuff (weird meaing stuf that aint on the tv any other time of the year)... NBC sux..
Let me tell you how NBC suxs.

I have all the NBC cables but Telemundo. Even so, I only watch Olympics on CBC, the Canadian channel.
First NBC rarely broadcasts a live event. Sometimes it broadcasts a videotape volleyball match while there is a live volleyball match being played that will be broadcasted later on. I just donít get. Why not favor the live events?
But the main reason that NBC suxs BIG BIG time is because NBC bought from IOC all broadcasting rights for the U.S. Even worse is that NBC has prohibited anyone from broadcast Olympics over the Internet to the USA. And when I say anyone I mean the whole world.

Let me say something. I live in the USA but I am not an American and I really enjoy the Olympics events. I do not expect NBC to broadcast an event or match that my country is participating. But preventing me from watch that same event that is being broadcasted over the Internet LIVE by BBC because I have an IP address from the USA makes me real mad.

I have broadband and the Internet is a perfect media for this kind of event. So many events happening at the same time. You can pick what you would like to see. But thanks to the great NBC the US cannot enjoy that. NBC big mistake is forgetting that there are lots of foreigners on this country.
mpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2004, 02:25 AM   #25
Rosko_22
Planted Member

I think my fav part of these games has been the opening ceremony, really cool fireworks displays.

Quote:
I enjoy the winter olympics much more than the summer games... to me its kinda...
Same here. I find almost all of the winter events entertaining, only a few summer ones interest me. Not much to get excited about during the summer games as a Canadian either. At least not this time around.
(I said "not much", not "nothing")
Rosko_22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2004, 04:43 AM   #26
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

ErR THE Commentors For DIving!! THAT MAd me MAD!!!
Like since Laura Wilkinson wasn't winning and like when the other divers went and they look like they did a good dive, the female commentor just like cuts in going,"No, She's not gonna get it, That was a horrible dive..." And I find myself yelling at the TV, Going That WASN't that BAD!!!

ERRR That commentor mad me Angery!!!

I don't know about the other commentors though...
Old 08-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #27
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

lol...yeah, the one woman commentator for diving is really annoying. Every single time: "oh, that wasn't vertical" or "the dive was just off virtical" and she always has this "neener-neener" tone to her voice.

^iMp^
Old 08-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #28
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Hamm should keep the gold! Period!! As was said today the Korean made a mistake that was not caught by the judges that would have cost him a 1/10 point and equalized it out. It just goes to show that video tape would overide human error and turn the games into a fiasco. If they want to change the rules and tape everything and judge later then bring it up with the Olympic commitee for the next one. But that will never happen. Remember that kid at Yankee Stadium that took the ball from the outfielder against Baltimore. The rules are the rules. Many Sports would come to a standstill if we adopted the NFL rules. But even in the NFL the plays stood untill they adopted new rules. I beleive the judges rate the performances by comparing them to the other athletes and post their scores accordingly so the athletes they think deserve to win ends up winning. There is nothing wrong with that. Its the only fair way to do it.
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #29
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well the problem with us "normal" people watching these judged events is evident last night. When the crowd boo'd the judges for 10 minutes until they changed the score. Now some "experts" did agree to change the score...but the scores are expert opinions... on a scale that unles you are really knowledgeable with the events and the rules for judging you just will not understand. That swimming lady was right... the judges were instructed to place a high percentage of the deductions on the entry... Just like hop or a big step in gymnastics will get the person a 0.1 to a .2 deduction... It is not quit as unfair as people think. The fun IS all the emotional responses... I mean would it really be that fun to watch all this and know everything... and not get mad a little???
Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #30
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfarmhouse
Remember that kid at Yankee Stadium that took the ball from the outfielder against Baltimore.
Not to run this off-topic, or get into debates with Yankee Fans, but that was not Baltimore, it was the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. IMHO that very moment was the turning point of the series which helped the Yankees become World Series Champs. Fans interfering with baseball is a pet peeve of mine. So far my 2 favorite teams (The Cubs and the Braves) have both perished in Championship situations due to fans interferring with the game.

So here is my On-topic statement: That Diving commentator is awful, I just ended up muting her. The lady that was commentating the diving is just awful and does have a better than thou delivery. Also the woman gymnastics "Color" Commentator kills me as well. Not the man that actually knew what he was talking about, but the woman, the 2nd color commentator position. Like we need two people spewing out obvious facts to us. You mean when the diver falls on it's back and neck it's bad? I really think the job of the color commentator has changed in past years. I think it is now percieved to just be some joe schmoe that points out obvious stuff and talks about it. Like stated these people are covering sports that they aren't really up to speed with. My question is why wouldn't NBC get people that were up to speed with the sport? In some instances they do, for instance the man (I can't remember his name, so I appologize about this generalization) that was helping do the color commentating for the gymnastics was actually an Olympic gymnist and knew what he was talking about. It's quite obvious when you here lines like the one heard last night "Well, I guess it isn't the only sport that has a weird tiebreaker system in it", that these play-by-play guys have no idea what they are talking about. You get in these oddball events and these people don't know one darn thing about them. I think NBC should have atleast hired one person that has enormous information about the sport being covered and has participated in that event in Olympic history. I'm sure you could all go and dig up a past olympic champion in the sport that would be more than gladly to come to the games and mingle with the new Olympic heroes that are competing in the events and help cover a sport they love. Like perviously stated, it's not a real super hard position to fill (color commentator). I find that the play-by-play commentator is probably the hardest position in broadcasting. If you look at many major league teams in different leagues they always have some old-timer great sitting in color commentating since they understand the sport. For instance, Joe Morgan for ESPN (played for the Reds), Don Sutton for the Braves, even the guy who color commentates for The Atlanta Thrashers (Darren Elliot played for the Kings, and other teams) was an ex-goalie. Darren Pang for ESPN (Blackhawks, other teams), as well as Ray Ferraro (Played for Hartford, Atlanta Etc) ESPN, and a hundred others. Sad that NBC couldn't atleast dig up someone to come in and have knowledge about the sport and not sound like a total dweeb.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.