Olympics!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Olympics!!

Anyone paying attention to the Olympics??
Michael Phelps.... WOW! Amazing 8 medals.....
And Paul Hamm, and Carly Patterson!!

MANN!! Crazy Olympics this year!!!
And now its time for track!!!
What sucks is that the stands seem so empty...
If I could, I would definately go to watch the Olympics!!
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was lucky enough to attend the Olympics here in Atlanta. It was awesome. I would have loved to have gone to athens, but funds are short. I have been watching it on tv daily though, Team USA is doing a really great job.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
mario
Planted Member

Talking about teams doing great. I found this site where somebody showed the medal rankings in relation to the countries population. Go Bahamas.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/medals2.html
Old 08-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #4
fishiesrule
Algae Grower

man that Michael, hes like on fi-ya! that guy is my idol, next to clay aiken. Carly and paul should get married
fishiesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:09 AM   #5
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

I was wondering when how long much longer it was going to take for an olympic post to pop up. I've been watching the olympics off and on but I just watched the men's 100m final. Pretty impressive, 1st, 3rd, and 4th for America.

Thats a very interesting link Mario. I've always wondered how countires did in comparison to their population.

So, anyone got anything to say about USA's basketball team?

Kyle
Old 08-23-2004, 03:22 AM   #6
mario
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender963
So, anyone got anything to say about USA's basketball team?

Kyle
Yes, yes I do. Is it just me or would any manager who sets up a team like this get fired ASAP? I always thought that on a basketball court there are different positions to play. It would be nice if there was any other post player than Tim Duncan and if they would have brought a person with a decent outside shot.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:56 AM   #7
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

I saw the 100m for mens...
VeRY FAST!!!
I can't wait to watch the 400m, 200m, and the relays!!!
those are going to be intense.
I really hope Jeremy Wariner owns in the 400. I saw him run in the 4x4 relay for the NCAA championships, and he was Blazing fast!!!
I wish I could run that fast in a 400m.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:52 PM   #8
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

I find myself watching a whole lot of Olympics. If I peek on the internet and see that a American won something big then its easier to watch knowing I won't be disapointed. But I hate myself for doing that after the fact.
The Basketball coach won the NBA championship by demonstating the importance of teamwork but nobody told him that you have to learn how to shoot not slam to win the Olympics. Maybe they should raise the nets in the NBA to 20 feet so we can get some shooters back in the game. Remember Bird?
Did I miss syncronized swimming yet?
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfarmhouse
Remember Bird?
I hope so! Larry was one of the best shooters ever in the game. Those shots that he could hit when his body is being pulled past the baseline were phenominial. I still don't know how he could make all those buckets from behind the net. Sadly enough I used to be a huge basketball fan, but have found it to grow rather boring in recent years, and I never even watch it anymore. Back in the day you had bird, jordan, DR. J, Charles Barkley, Isiah Thomas, and other greats. Nowadays I just can't get into. Maybe it is because back in the day these guys played the sport because they loved it. Now when I watch a game it seems like the players are playing the sport because they get paid. Some of these players are such thugs (Spreewell anyone?), and don't even deserve to play on the same courts as some of the greats before them did. Pretty sad when players are trying to kill their coaches. That shows teamwork real well there, when you're throwing elbows at your coach. I guess what do you expect, some of these guys didn't even finish the 10th grade.

I think Team USA Basketball is basically a problem of many skilled players not playing as a team. It just goes to show you that basketball is a TEAM sport and you can not be competitive just by ones individual effort. Anybody watched the movie miracle lately? Great line in that movies.. "Dream Teams are setup to fail because they don't play as a team." Plain and simple. Team USA needs a reality check and look past their million dollar contracts and try to pull it together. Maybe this is the last year of the dream team? That would be great. I prefer amateurs anyways in the olympics. Atleast with amateurs you can take them aside for months/year to learn how to play well with other teammates. People gelling together on different roster combinations doesn't happen overnight. Allen Iverson wouldn't know that everytime Tim Duncan makes a certain move that he is automatically going to go to a certain place on the floor. You learn these things about your teammates overtime in PRACTICE. Practice being something that apparently team USA didn't do enough of. I think it's funny watching them get beat by a bunch of amateur teams, but atleast those other teams play together (Hence why they win.) Did you see that all those basketball players are staying on that awesome cruise ship queen mary II. Just shows you how much premadonna's they think they are. They won't even stay in the regular rooms in olympic village like the rest of the teams.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #10
mario
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corigan
I think it's funny watching them get beat by a bunch of amateur teams, but atleast those other teams play together (Hence why they win.)

Matt
I agree with some of the things you wrote, but to assume the other national teams are 'amateur teams' does not do them justice. The vast majority of players on teams like Italy, Spain, Argentina, Lithuania and others are professional players. They just don't play in the NBA.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wink

The only thing that makes me mad is that, since I don't have cable or sat, I don't get to see the cool events.. like fencing and weight lifting.. or other weird stuff (weird meaing stuf that aint on the tv any other time of the year)... NBC sux..

I really don't need to see beach volly ball (at least ALL of the prelims).. nor do I need to see all the prelims for swimming...only the medal events. I especially don't want to see the events we suck at.. like men's vollyball. The women could kick the men's butts. The men stood there like.. duh .. Grog move now.. as the ball hit the sand about 10 secs ago... At least the women move for it...they might just win the gold.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Anyone else think that Hamm should hand the gymnastics gold medal to the Korean athlete that really won it?

Mike
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 PM   #13
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Anyone else think that Hamm should hand the gymnastics gold medal to the Korean athlete that really won it?

Mike
I think so. When I watched the highlights I couldn't believe he won it, now I know why he did.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #14
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

There is this whole thing going on about the Gymnastic judges checking out what happened on replay, and how that in and of itself isn't exactly right :

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...ory?id=1865378

I believe Paul Hamm has thechance to go down in history as one of the "best sports" in the history of althletic competition if he awards the Olympic gold medal to the Korean athlete who actually won the event.

If you were Paul Hamm, would you give back the medal??

Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 12:21 AM   #15
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
If you were Paul Hamm, would you give back the medal??
I would. It's an honor to just be in the olympics, it's another honor to win a medal, nomatter what it is. A silver medal is a great accomplishment. Heck, after that vault, I think Hamm should have been happy if he got a bronze.

Anybody else having some issues with the commentators on NBC? These people seem to think if USA doesn't have a chance at the gold it's pathetic. They act like if it isn't gold it isn't important. Just be happy we have people competing in the olympic games for our country, nomatter what the outcome is.

Matt