225 Gallon Office Setup - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #76
JDowns
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Left side is finally on the road to recovery since the fungus outbreak. The Java Fern on the left and right have really overgrown and are in need of a good trimming. Both forms of Staurogyne (pointed and round leaf) have really thrived and are taking over the land areas. Fungus wiped out all but one of the mini orchids, which was a bummer. Baby mutt frog is doing wonderful. I"ll try and get more frog shots this weekend, the smaller male Cobalt was the only one feeling photogenic. There are seven more tads that are within a few weeks of popping rear legs. It's also about time to trim back the crypts.

Full Tank Shot

A few shots of the smaller male Cobalt.

JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #77
palufreak
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

That is beautiful!!! Your working on a 225g and I'm working on a 0.25g palu!!! I'm jealous!!! Wish I had such a big tank, my biggest is 10g!!! Those frogs are amazing!!! Anyways, very nice, keep up the good work!!! Hope this lasts for a long time... (sorry for all the !!!!'s)...
palufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #78
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Dang nice, growth has matured well ove rthe last while.
Good selection for frogs and good they are reproducing, keep feeding them like mad.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #79
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

That's too bad about the fungus!

For some reason the tank looks much smaller than it did before?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #80
palufreak
Planted Tank Obsessed

It does look small cuz there is nothing to compare it too... Would you mind taking a pic with you hand on the glass or something to compare the size??
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #81
JDowns
Planted Member

That could be due to how it was saved, odd though. I only cropped it in Paint and resized. Otherwise its as it was shot. There is a slight warp due to lens that was used. I'll get a better shot this weekend. The colors are washed out because of the heavy lighting from directly above. For a sense of scale the water level is kept at 10" and if you can notice on top/center/back of the tank is a small critter tote with a tadpole (well there are seven totes up there). Also it being overgrown right now and lighting really eliminates any sense of depth.

A quarter gallon! That will be a fun project, lots of small plants that would work great.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #82
ShortFin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Awesone tank!! I've been thinking about a pdf/shrimp tank lately and your tank is almost exactly what I wanted. The only difference is I want one with front door opening just above the water line.

Questions:
1) Did tenecor built the tank with those land/water section or did you have to diy?
2) How do you keep the water so clear without any tannins?
ShortFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #83
JDowns
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortFin View Post
Awesone tank!! I've been thinking about a pdf/shrimp tank lately and your tank is almost exactly what I wanted. The only difference is I want one with front door opening just above the water line.

Questions:
1) Did tenecor built the tank with those land/water section or did you have to diy?
2) How do you keep the water so clear without any tannins?
1.) I gave tenecor a drawing of what I wanted for the divider to seperate the land and water and they used scrap black acrylic. Only DIY for the actual tank itself was the drilling of holes.

2.) There were a great deal of tannins for the first month. The purigen sock in the Nu-Clear filter removed alot of that initially during the testing phase, I think I cleaned that sock nearly three times a week since a few of the manzanita pieces were very fresh and red. Once the tank was setup though and the water was recycling through the entire system tannins were not an issue. The zeolite/carbon layer at the base of the soil does a great job at cleaning the draining water from the land area.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #84
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (69/100%)

That is gorgeous. I actually like the overgrown look, kinda like a riverside jungle.
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #85
palufreak
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hope you don't mind but I kinda used the same idea (two land portions) in my 10 gallon... :$ Will post some pics tomorrow!!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #86
JDowns
Planted Member

Don't mind at all. I originally saw the dual land area at a display from the Singapore Zoo. There are also a few dual land areas on a vivarium forum from the Netherlands. That site has some mouth dropping displays that are very innovative in climate control.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #87
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Don't mind at all. I originally saw the dual land area at a display from the Singapore Zoo. There are also a few dual land areas on a vivarium forum from the Netherlands. That site has some mouth dropping displays that are very innovative in climate control.
Do you have a link to that site? I probably won't be able to understande most of it, but I would love to look at pictures. I might get some ideas for my future tanks.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #88
JDowns
Planted Member

There are some nice ones in here and Nederland
You can search through there. A guy by the name DeNeve (I think I'm spelling that right) has some nice tanks.

One of my favorites for hardscape even though I don't care for the background type tanks typically.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #89
JDowns
Planted Member

This is a much better FTS. The frog on the right should give a decent sense of scale.

Here is a dusk lighting shot with some fog rolling in.

More photos can be seen here
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #90
JDowns
Planted Member

A few shots of the rest of the family in this tank.

Inferalanis Female

Larger Surinam Cobalt Male

Now for those that harbor some self absorbed reality that mixed morphs will lead to armageddon of the dendrobates existence and practice in the art of using fear with unsubstantiated "facts", or opinions presented as "facts", may want to hit the back button now. The following will never be sold, traded, or released from my control. If you wish to debate your merits ad nauseum then do so elsewhere.

Inferalanis x Cobalt at 6 months. This individual is parented by the larger of the two males. I took pity on this youngester before one of the banded gobies that use to inhabit the water area could get to him. He was the last of his bunch.