46g bowfront - going vertical
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

46g bowfront - going vertical

So after moving across the country I'm finally getting settled in to where I can start putting together a tank. I found this perfect condition Oceanic 46g bowfront setup on craigslist and stuffed it into my truck. I really like the height it provides. I've always had shallow tanks in the past. I'm going to try and use all that vertical height to create an overgrown jungle look..

For equipment so far:

Eheim pro 3e and the recommended media. I figure that size filter should allow me to be plenty lazy in maintenance. I'm also excited to try the wave making function. Hopefully that coupled with the high flow rate will allow me to skip adding a powerhead to assist in good circulation.
Hydor 200w ETH which was a left over.
Current sundial 4x24w T5HO which is another left over, but only 24" long.. I'm hoping that helps create the jungle look, forcing plants to grow up and towards the center, giving a tree canopy feeling. I also have the stock full length T8 fixture which I can put up front to help fill out the lighting and keep fish from being shadowed against the front glass.
Azoo regulator w/ swag valve but no CO2 cylinder yet. And no diffusion method yet. I'm going to wait on the cylinder until I see how much room I have under the stand with the fat eheim in there. I'm considering an inline diffuser. Any feedback on those?

To do:

Get the substrate out. It's a nice mix of natural colored sand and small grain gravel. I could see myself using it, I'm just hesitant to use someone's old substrate. You never know what could be hiding in there. I'm torn between a black sand or a light colored sand.
Remove ugly blue stickon background. It's got a black backside, so I'll probably just flip it around and skip the hassle of painting the back glass. It's just a bit glossy for my liking, but hopefully the tank will fill in to the point you won't see it.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
badmatt
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt

subscribed!
Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Yay. This is what I've been waiting for.
This should be nothing short of amazing
Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

That looks like a sweet tank.

I have also wanted to put together something in a real tall tank. I have thought that would be a cool way to display native Potamogeton.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Ok, so I couldn't resist. I'll be the guinea pig here... I got a G6

One part because the Eheim 3e is a monster and doesn't really fit in the stand. (It does, but only dead center where the tank bows and has maximum floorspace.) And one part because I just think the Fluval G flat out cool. They now get to battle it out to see who has a home here.

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised just from opening the box. They include all media (the Eheim 3e took almost $100 of media to fill as recommended) and the fittings are really nice. The outlet splits into two jets, and they include mini spray bars. I can see some nice possibilities for flow with this. The intake is telescoping, and the actual strainer is on a loc-line fitting so it can be vertical, horizontal, or in between. Best of all, everything is BLACK!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Wow. That does sound really cool, which is to be expected since it is supposed to be top of the line. It'll be interesting seeing how you like it.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
badmatt
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt

pics of the G!!!
Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

I think you're REALLY going to like the G6 from a maintenance standpoint... I mean, how much easier can it get... just get extra cartridges and swap them... like 10 second media change.... sweet! I got rid of my 46B... wasn't nearly as nice as yours, but I miss it.. yours looks GREAT!
non_compliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Nice tank! Also waiting on a review and PICS(!) of the G6!!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Church
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Best of all, everything is BLACK!
You just sold me on it right there! That's awesome! Why did it take so long for filter manufacturers to realize that green and turquoise are NOT the best colors to have on display at the back of the tank?

Anyway, subscribed.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
I think you're REALLY going to like the G6 from a maintenance standpoint... I mean, how much easier can it get... just get extra cartridges and swap them... like 10 second media change.... sweet!
That's actually the reason I would never consider that filter...those cartridges are outrageously priced. The filter is cool, but those cartridges, man!

This will be fun to watch.

Subscribed!
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
That's actually the reason I would never consider that filter...those cartridges are outrageously priced. The filter is cool, but those cartridges, man!

This will be fun to watch.

Subscribed!

well you can still take them out, change out the media/clean them out and put them back in... with the original cartridge... it would just take you 5 min instead of 5 seconds.

But I know what you mean.... they are expensive to begin, and the accessories/replacements are $$$$ too....
non_compliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
You just sold me on it right there! That's awesome! Why did it take so long for filter manufacturers to realize that green and turquoise are NOT the best colors to have on display at the back of the tank?

Anyway, subscribed.

one of the reasons i love my sun sun canister, its nothing but a marineland c series knock off, but its got black bars.
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
dantimdad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Subscribed! I love my 46 bow and am happy to see another one being planted.

Steven
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Here are a couple quick pics of the G6, showing it's insides.

Seems like a decent setup. You have 3 stackable baskets to fill with bio media. (media provided) The two easily accessible cylinders house whatever modules you want. Included cylinders are a pleated filter for mechanical filtration, and an empty module for chemical filtration. (they include carbon) It's well thought out, all the pieces only fit together the correct way, and are clearly marked on top of that. All the levers are firm and feel solid, seems like a well built filter so far.

I'll share more once I get some time to really get into it. Next up will be the nice intake and outlet stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g6_01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	16611  

Click image for larger version

Name:	g6_02.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	16612