Clint's 75 Gallon. High Light Project Update 1/19/14 (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (109/100%)

Clint's 75 Gallon. High Light Project Update 1/19/14 (56k)

Hello all,

I am starting my 75 gallon for a second time. Not too long ago I reseal the tank. Turns out I must have used the wrong silicone... I don't see how but in any case, It's starting to "melt". I am attaching a pic of how it is now. The only reason it looks the way it does now is because I wanted plants in there to cycle the tank. Kinda all over the place.... That was just to get plants in. Oh yeah, did I mention that I am inpatient!

This time I will be taking my time and doing it right. Taking all feed back as I go along.

75 gallon, 5lb pressurized CO2 system with a aquariumplants.com regulator, 100lbs of Flourite, 2x XP3's, 48" T5HO Sunlight supply light fixture with 6x54watt.

Ammannia gracilis
Micranthemum umbrosum
L. Brown
Erio Parkeri
Blyxa Japonica
L. Aromatica
Tropica 049
Pogostemon helferi downoi
Nesaea crassicaulis
Red Pantanal
L. giunea wavy
Myrio mini
persicaria polygonum sp sao paulo

Last edited by Dempsey; 04-09-2014 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: update
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Quick question. Any tips for taking stones from a creek? Boil them? Or would some of the hitch hikers be beneficial?

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Old 11-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
chaosmaximus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you know what you are looking for and find things like water pennies (think thats right) or similar you can be assured of a healthy creek, but barring that its hard to say. You might need to be concerned with oil or other pollution depending on where you get them.

Boiling does seem safest and I have not really seen freshwater communities which are like the full reefs which try to do the whole ecosystem. I assume there is a reason.
chaosmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Whiskeyfox
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just an amateur observation, but while you're at it, you might want to add more EC.

20L Journal
Whiskeyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Chaos,

I was going to get bigger pieces for a small mountain or hill terrain. The stream is pretty clean but I will still just boil the heck out of them.

Whiskey,

I was thinking about adding more but depending on the amount of rock I get, I might be able to get a full 3" of substrate. I will see once I find some rocks.

Thank you both!

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Old 11-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

So... Me and my buddy resealed it tonight. First off, we put all the plants in the 29g and, wow. that tank is stuffed now. Anyways, that won't be for long. I am planning on filling the tank on Sunday. "test filling" I am really going to take my time setting this thing up.

I will keep pics posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00227.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	16497  

75G High Tech
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Default Update. A 3rd go at it

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...licone-ii.html

75G High Tech
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

If you have all seen my last update, I resealed my tank again. This time with aquarium grade... In under 2 hours I might add. Any ways... I put some moist substrate in the center, away from the silicone. I am going to give it 48 hours this time since I got the right stuff this time. I just can't wait(again) to get it started! With me luck and keep you opinions coming!!!!

75G High Tech

Last edited by Dempsey; 03-08-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

I have been "storing" allot of plants in my 29g, waiting to the 75 to be ready. It's a mess and I just chopped ALLOT out of the tank to make room and for new growth. The net you see is housing my HC. This way, I don't have to plant/replant/plant/replant...... Here is a pic.

75G High Tech

Last edited by Dempsey; 03-08-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Here is the latest! I filled it today at 5pm and jumped the gun on putting plants and substrate in. So far, I have everything going good and the plants are pearling. Big time! I am only going to keep the lights on for 6 hours a day to start. I will be adding DW and a rock or 2 later. I just wanted to get things started. Please not, besides the HC and hairgrass, things will be moving around. Here are a few pics! With the new seal, also!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC0002.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	16577  

75G High Tech

Last edited by Dempsey; 03-23-2010 at 12:45 AM..
Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Being on the topic of fish and planted tanks. I am a big fisherman. Here is a bass I got this year. Really nice fight! I only do "catch and release", btw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC0093.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	16582  

75G High Tech
Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
RianS
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just wondering. How well did the spoon work out for you When resealing your tank?
I've done two tanks now a 45 and 100 and both of them we used our thumb to spread the silicone and over time it would just collect and make a mess.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Actually, It works very well. Just keep a dry paper towel to wipe off any extra silicone that build up on the spoon before starting the next seal. Don't use the cheap flimsy plastic spoons like the ones that come with your 7-11 soup. Use the sturdy ones.

75G High Tech
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Being on the topic of fish and planted tanks. I am a big fisherman. Here is a bass I got this year. Really nice fight! I only do "catch and release", btw.

But man, a bass that size would have been delicious.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

lol Very true but I rather let them go and catch them bigger next year.

I forgot to mention that lillies you see in the backgroung went in my pond. The water doesn't look deep but it was past my knees. Not to mention having to lean over to dig them out. At that point, I guess you could say I was swiming.

75G High Tech