Mod. a H.O.T. Magnum/diatom filter....?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 AM   #1
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

Mod. a H.O.T. Magnum/diatom filter....?

I JUST got my HOT today.. and the diatom powder...did pretty good work on my green tank. How much diatom powder should i use?? I tried 1/2 cup---that didn't seem to do too much...I tried about 1 cup and that was no better.. any more than one cup and alot of it just sludges on the bottom of the filter but more seems to work better in any case. (I think I may stick with about 3/4 cup... that seems optimal for this filter)

My BIG question is this....

Has anyone modified this filter to NOT hang on the tank?
This seems to be a better setup...I would have bought the bigger magnum.. but since my biggest tank right now is 30 gallon I didn't need to "wirlpool" any of the tanks with that kind of flow (considering that you cannot adjust the flow..(too bad for that)). I want to put a couple of hoses on the filter and then that will facilitate an easier charge/filter setup. If you have done this please share your experiances. I realize that I will have to make a fixture of some sort to "hold" or "cradle" the filter since it is not sure-footed and definitly NOT designed to sit on its bottom for any more time than it takes you to clean the other parts and NOT bump the thing over and break it (kind of a shame...). I think Ill just make a wood frame with styrofoam (sp) to take up voids and cusion. Then paint the whole thing so its not too un-godly aueful looking.

I just really want to know if that running hosing for this filter is ok... (im sure it will work..)

(please no postings about the vortex and how I should have just bought that filter.. and other blah blah blah .... I really had thought about the purchase and researched it as fully as I could, and I found the HOT to better suit my needs....in the long run.)
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 04:55 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

As long as you can prime that beast I don't see why you can't extend it with some hoses. The adjustable output nozzle that came with mine leaks a lot, so hanging the thing over the rim has the advantage that it leaks into the tank.

I have actually added some hoses to try it on my pond... pretty fruitless adventure, but it does work. You'd want to be careful not to put pressure onto the plastic pipes that connect to the canister, or they may start leaking or simply rip out of the housing --> mess.

I use about 3/4 of a cup of diatom powder. Surprised that it didn't do much for you... I have used less and it worked fine, but I have a big bag of it in my garage, it'll last many years even if you use full cups.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was pry a tad impatient..... I see others "45 minute" results and think I should see something similar...

The tank im trying to clear up is still a tad cloudy today.. but I got time to get the hoses and hook up a system to better do it next time. ( the main reason for teh hoses is that some tanks I dont really have ROOM to hang this thing on... other reason is that it will make priming the filter and moving the "catch picture" out easier (the thing that catches the snow storm when you restart the filter...,learned I needed that the hard way.. damnit)
Old 08-21-2004, 05:08 AM   #4
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

I use 1/4 cup with mine. I've used more but it usually ends up in a pile on the bottom. I have great results with 1/4 cup. I used it today to clear up some green water and it worked like a charm.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your right Overfloater.. I tried 3/4 cup and A LOT was piled on the bottom.. and a MESS to clean out. I think I'll try about 1/3 cup maybe and see how that does it....

For ability to clean.. now my tank is clear!!! I couldn't even see the "dust" in the water... hopefully I won't have green water again. I learned the hard way that the hosing needs to be 5/8" to mod the HOT M. i didn't break anything but tore apart my pump (that I use to fill tanks) system. I really needed to replace that hosing anyway though.. it was kinked in a lot of places and this time im buying that hose with the white braids in it (non-kinking). I am glad I bought the magnum...really a decent filter for the price... (spend about double and you get about double the filter). Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

1/4 cup I have found to be enough and it really doesn't pile up on the bottom. Glad it worked well for you. It's a tad pain to charge with DE but once you get it down it's cake. Just don't shut it off until the water is as clear as you want it. Once you turn it off all the DE will fll to the bottom, and it won't get picked back up.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfloater
1/4 cup I have found to be enough and it really doesn't pile up on the bottom. Glad it worked well for you. It's a tad pain to charge with DE but once you get it down it's cake. Just don't shut it off until the water is as clear as you want it. Once you turn it off all the DE will fll to the bottom, and it won't get picked back up.
Tell me about it.. I noticed that it does that.. also you can't turn if off and move the thing either (kind of a pain really)... You would hve to re-charge it. I m going to go to the hardware store soon and get some stuff so that I can use a shallow and smaller charging container (gallon jug, with the top cut off, is too big to move off of the filter inlet once it is on the rim of a tank..especially when you only got two hands). Im thinking of getting some hose(s) and making that fixture tthat will hopefully keep the canister from being TOO tippy..

I was also thinking just now, if you move the apparatise(sp)..then just recharge it with <1/4 cup of diatom powder.. if the tank that was cleaned was not really dirty... it would save a little time with cleanup. I also found that no matter how careful I am.. powder always gets down past the motor magnet...I use my syringe to squirt it out with water. I can imagine that diatom powder is that great of a lubricant!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:38 AM   #8
MantisX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Im currently bidding on a magnum H.O.T on ebay. What all do I need to turn it into a diatom filter for green water? Ive never used a cannister filter before so I dont know where to start.
MantisX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #9
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

All you need is the micron cartridge and some DE. You can buy a HOT for $40 from Big Al's.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:36 AM   #10
MantisX
Algae Grower

wow 40? Im there!! How much does DE run and what do I do with it? I just pour it into the filter and let it run?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #11
MantisX
Algae Grower

Im not seeing a magnum H.O.T for 40. The cheapest I saw was 60 something
Old 08-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #12
MantisX
Algae Grower

Also, why cant a regular power filter be used with diatom powder to clear a tank? Couldnt you get filter media and fill it with diatom powder and sit it over in the power filter?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #13
KevinC
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisX
Im not seeing a magnum H.O.T for 40. The cheapest I saw was 60 something

That's where I got mine (BigAls). Make sure you are getting the one WITHOUT the biowheel. With the biowheel and gravel washer it is $60. Since you'll just be using it for polishing you really don't need the biowheel. I bought the filter and the gravel washer separately.

Also, my LFS offers pre-measured bags of DE for only 50 cents! You have to ask - try it. It's great for them - buy in bulk, a little labor to measure into plastic baggies, lots of profit. Easy for you - especially if you don't need to polish very often.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #14
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

A regualr powerfilter, or at least most of them, have a LOT of blow-by. Here are some tips to use your magnum...(one final note.. if you got big tanks ex..29 and larger...get the magnum 350!--it is a little more..but easier to charge and move, since you have just hoses not the whole unit to move). I am going to modify mine so that I can use hoses.. but I need to make a fixture that will hold the magnum HOT stabile. BTW the hoses need to be 5/8". Get the magnum.. or the vortex if you got the cash. Use only about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of diatom powder... that is about 2-3 scoops with a regualr kool-aid scoop (make sure for yourself before using it).. once you charge your filter NEVER EVER shut it off.. until you are done.. it will drop all the diatom powder off the micron cartrige and not pick it up again. I use a large old kool-aid container (country time lemonaid..) to hold the inlet and out let in while it charges and then place it into the tank and remove the canister (koolaid canister). I took the outlet attachment for the HOT M that was designed for the biowheel (they come with two...) and cut it off so that it only had ONE outlet.. and attached a long hose there.

YOU can get DE from big al's also.. 5llbs is about 13 dollars.. or you can get from a swimming pool shop.. maybe cheaper. Shop around. Diatom filter works REALLY well for cleaning up green water. While the HOT is not the BEST diatom filter, although it is hard to say since I have not used any other ones( I only say it cause it took a lot of work to get my one green water tank crystal clear--about 18 hours with 2 charges total, I am guessing that it was just too dirty to get it all.)...it works good. Order another diatom cartridge (the same one fits both the magnum 250, 350 and H.O.T....) They are cheaper at big al's and worth to have a backup.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

BTW.. i find that the strainer for the HOT can trap small amounts of diatom powder.. and then release it into your tank.. I am going to fix this by making a screen out of window screen mesh (sown into a sock shape).. this should help.