Python vs. Aqueon Water Changer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Python vs. Aqueon Water Changer

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if the Python No Spill and Fill system is better than the Aqueon Water changer? If it is better, what makes it better? They are both about the same price.

Thanks in advance,

Henry
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
MChambers
Planted Member

Default Aqueon

I like the part that attaches to the sink better on the Aqueon. Easier to control the flow. But there's not much of a difference.
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
smoq
local fisherman

PTrader: (37/100%)

I've had both and I have to say the aqueon one is better quality and it's cheaper. However, I recommend you buy a brass faucet connector cause the plastic one is worthless. I think python ships with the brass one now (they didn't do that back when I bought it) so it depends which one you can get cheaper.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

I've had a python for years now and don't fine their parts to be anything special. I've had several crack way before I thought they should.

I've heard that the Aqueon parts are better but I haven't tried any yet. I've taken to buying whatever is on sale for parts. The only one that I've had to replace on a regular basis is the pump. So I always keep a spare on hand.

Right now I'm using a Lee's brand and that has out lasted the same part by python.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Church
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I think they are both overpriced. The only part I'm using that is branded is the green siphon thingy. Other than that I'm using a stainless steel universal thread adapter from Home Depot that cost less than what the plastic Python one would've cost at the LFS, and a 50' garden hose from Walmart. Forget about the nylon tubing or gravel vac. We do planted tanks anyway, so who needs gravel vacs? Just use a garden hose.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
redman88
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

i just got all the parts for a Python type cleaner last night. $8 for 20' of hose, $7 for a water bed fill kit, $8.50 for a barb that connects the hose to the fill kit, and since my house is old i have to use a hose out side the house to connect to the fill/drain addapter from the fill kit.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

I have the 50ft Aqueon water changer. Love it, couldn't be happier.

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
J.B.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I posted this a while back.

J.B.'s DIY Python

I still use this today and it works great. This is after several members of my family have tripped over the hose whilst I was doing WCs, which of course yanked on the pump...no fear this thing is bullet-proof! I'm fairly positive the fragile Python pump would have broken.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Love the DIY J.B. If mine ever breaks....

Have a Python, never tried the Aqueon. I do vacuum a little in areas that are bare. My tank is tall at 26" so upgrading to the long vaccum tube was nice. I have never seen upgrade parts or extensions for the Aqeuon in stores. If options are important, the Python might be the more flexible and adaptable choice for the long-term.

If you have the time, DIY options should work great. There really isn't anything fancy about the setup.

It takes about an hour for me to drain and refill 40g out of my 85g. During that time I trim, clean and fiddle with anything that needs fiddling. So the time is perfect. If I needed to go faster I'd attach a pump.

So far though, light, simple, reliable has been adequate.
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

Very good information, thanks everybody. I will have to look at the water bed fill kit to see if its a good alternative.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
I think they are both overpriced. The only part I'm using that is branded is the green siphon thingy. Other than that I'm using a stainless steel universal thread adapter from Home Depot that cost less than what the plastic Python one would've cost at the LFS, and a 50' garden hose from Walmart. Forget about the nylon tubing or gravel vac. We do planted tanks anyway, so who needs gravel vacs? Just use a garden hose.
Church,

Are garden hoses safe to use? I read somewhere that the plyable plastic in garden hoses has something in it that is harmful to fish. Is that just another old wives tale?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Depends on the hose, and I think the main issue is when hoses are kept outside, the plastics will start to break down into the water.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Depends on the hose, and I think the main issue is when hoses are kept outside, the plastics will start to break down into the water.
from the water that remains in the hose. I guess if there is no standing water and the water has been running and fresh, just what could leach into it in the short time it is in the hose?

After I finished with my water changes I run hot hot water through and let it run until the hose feels red hot to the touch. Not great for my water heater bill but it's my way of somewhat sterilizing it. I've never had any mold or algae grow in the hose. Ever wonder what may be growing in a garden hose?

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

So, I it looks like the consensus is, garden hoses are safe for the aquarium as long as it is flushed first. Is there anybody who disagrees with this, or can add to it?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
kid creole
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Having drank water out of a hose, I wouldn't call it safe. That water doesn't taste right, but then again, it's probably been 25 years since I did that. JMHO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.