"Back in the Saddle" My Return to Planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #1
eco-mod

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Back in the Saddle" My Return to Planted

Well it has been more than a few years since my last true run in the planted tank world, but I'm back at it. My 29 was really flourishing, even more than anything I posted here, until we bought a house and following the move, it just never really got the attention it deserved. So tear down ensued and once I got back to having time after dealing with new home stuff, I set up my 105 Oceanic and got discus again, then came the 40B for Tanganyika shellies, and a 58 Oceanic with mixed Tangankians. Last tank I have done was my 29 nano reef, which with lots of corals is quite satisfying, and my prior experience in planted tanks was quite applicable. Anyhow, on to the now.

I am still looking into which way I want to take everything(High/Low Tech), as well as some equipment so please leave your feedback! Generally I am leaning to the Low/Mid lighting to minimize needing to babysit the tank, plus I have always had a soft spot for Crypts, Anubias and Fissidens.

Equipment
20 Gallon Long AGA Tank
DIY Stand and Hood(if I leave it)
Filtration - AC 30 HOB Powerfilter (Switching to Fluval 205 w/ other tank disassembly)
Heater - Hydor In-Line w/ 205 install
Lighting - Undecided thinking Finnex or Current Satellite+ Pro
Substrate - Fluval Stratum
CO2 - Undecided 5lb Tank w/ Mini Powerhead is available
Ferts - Undecided/Played by Ear, EI if I do

Flora
TBD - Crypts, Anuibas, Fissidens, Mosses, Rotala, Bacopa

Fauna
TBD - Apistos, Celestial Pearl Danios, Small Rainbows, Shrimp

First Scape

Finalized and Filled (sorry for hotspots)

Comments, Suggestions and Criticisms Welcome!
eco-mod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 AM   #2
Mitashade
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade

I really liked the layout without substrate. Sinking the rocks so deep makes it lose something. It changed pretty drastically and lost a bit of 'oomph'.

Maybe you just need more rocks? I really love the initial layout. The rocks and wood look fantastically bleached out, like a sea-side beach scape or something. <3

------

Just read all your details. Solid setup. For plants, anubias nana and nana petites would really shine, tucked into that wood. Unless you're wanting to go jungle style with it, though (which would bury your hardscape), I'd pick a carpet plant and plant everywhere. For taller interest behind the wood, I'm seeing either your stem plant of choice, java ferns or (what I would go with) hairgrass (eleocharis acicularis). The grass would mirror the movement of the wood, and if the only other plant were a carpet plant, wow. And you can't go wrong with a moss tucked into the nooks of the wood and rocks. I'd stick with a lighter green one, though. Maybe even mini pellia or riccia fluitans?

Here's the effect I mean with the hairgrass:

Whatever you decide, looking forward to seeing it!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
eco-mod

I agree on the substrate covering too much, I am planning on uncovering/pulling up a few of the ones that are hidden. I'll toss some pics up when I do. I too wish the wood stayed lighter, but it was expected.
eco-mod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Mitashade
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-mod View Post
I agree on the substrate covering too much, I am planning on uncovering/pulling up a few of the ones that are hidden. I'll toss some pics up when I do. I too wish the wood stayed lighter, but it was expected.
Oh the darkening of the wood isn't too bad, definitely was gonna happen no matter what. Looking forward to pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.