12 gallon or 10 gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-18-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

12 gallon or 10 gallon?

Hi well I've got my 55 gallon lightly planted tank going right now, I am going to either make my 12 gallon JBJ nanocube planted, or a 10 gallon planted. In the tank I don't do planted, it will be a cherry shrimp breeding tank. I was thinking of making the 12 a breeding tank since in that tank its hard to get DIY co2 in it, and since the way the back filtration setup is, theres no way of shrimp getting sucked into the filter and dying. So Instead of having my 10 with cherry's and a sponge filter, just to use the 12. If I do the 10 gallon tank, I was thinking a CF 28watt 6700k system with legs over the 10 gallon. The tank not used for cherry shrimp breeding is going to be a Dwarf puffer tank. I was thinking dwarf hairgrass in the foreground, alot of wood in the midground/background and giant hairgrass as the background. I am thinking of painting the back of the tank black and useing a bag of eco-complete as the subtrate. If the hairgrasses won't grow in the eco-complete, I will do Echinodorus tenellus as the foreground and some type of thick green plant as the background. Any thoughts or ideas? Oh also if the 10 is done planted, I'll have a filter that won't create alot of sufrace aggrigation and that will diffuse the DIY co2. Thanks all and tell me what you would do!
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Definitely dwarf hairgrass for the foreground. I tried E. tenelus in my 10gl before. The wild grass look doesn't help creating the depth of the small tank. The fine grass on D. hairgrass really makes your tank looks bigger. I've never grown giant HG though. D.hairgrass can grow fine with E. complete.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

Sweet then I will try the dwarf hairgrass. I also have some flourish I can add everynow and then to help some. The thing is, just trying to find giant hairgrass. Do you think it will cover up the background completely? If so then I wont try the x-mas moss wall. thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:45 AM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I'm not really sure. I heard Giant hairgrass gets really tall fast. I've never had them. Another thing is that you need to place some border on how far you want your grass to spread or they'll take over the tank. This is very important in a small tank or you don't have space for anything else. I use hard plastic strips and sticked them into the substrate in my 10gl. I use Wisteria and rotala to cover the whole background completely. But I doubt you could use Rotala if you only use 28watt bulb. In a 10gl, the light spread is really an issue. The back of the tank is usually darker than the front somehow. I use 2x36 PC on it (I know , but this is actually a downgrade. Before it was closer to 9wpg).
Old 08-19-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

hmm.....I am useing wisteria in my 55 as the background plant as you might remember. Do you think jungle val would be to much for this tiny tank?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:08 AM   #6
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

No way in 10gl you can use vals. The weird thing with this small tank is once you have something blocking the light, the whole tank looks dark. Take a look here (this tank is under re-aquascaping now):
http://www.msnusers.com/webnino/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

The first pic. was under more intense lighting but looks darker than the second one (9wpg vs 7wpg).
Old 08-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

The regular hairgrass grows pretty tall and you'll have to trim it if you want to fit it inside a 10-gallon. The same goes for jungle val, it gets to be too big for such a small tank (plus the runners it shoots out is a pain to remove if you have dwarf hairgrass mixed in...). I would leave both of them out, but that's just me.

BTW, nino, that's a nice tank that you have there. That hairgrass is doing a lot for that aquascape. The reason why the 1st picture looks less bright than the second is due to the composition of the plants (also, the difference between 2wpg isn't that noticeable to begin with, at such intensities).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2004, 07:09 PM   #8
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
The reason why the 1st picture looks less bright than the second is due to the composition of the plants (also, the difference between 2wpg isn't that noticeable to begin with, at such intensities).
Thanks. The tank is under major overhaul right now But that's the point I was trying to make. plants choice and arrangements make a huge difference in a small tank. I'm a very bad aquascaper myself. I always move plants around instead of planning things in the beginning
Old 08-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #9
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

cool tank. I'm thinking of breeding excotic finches instead of buying the nice lights for my 55, so i was just thinking of getting some wood from outside, soaking it and stuff, and getting a hairgrass field going (that would be the only plant) and have some wood stickin out of it like an amano style tank. Also it will just be in my 12 since it has some decent lights and is already ready to go and everything. I'm also skipin out on breeding cherry shrimp. All I have to do for my 12 now is get a bag of flourite, 6500k bulb and some dwarf hairgrass. Kool. also the tank will have like 10 neons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.