Advice on adding ferts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
GraemeK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

Advice on adding ferts

Hi,

Well i need some adivce on adding ferts. I found that my plants use up the KNO3 within a few days and used all the ferts (TMG) at full dose very quickly too.

I layed down a rich substrate (JBL's Aquabasis plus) last week and replanted etc. i measured my parameters yesterday and my NO3 was at 7ppm, iron at .25ppm, PO4 at 1ppm and my CO2 at 17ppm oh and PH 7.2

I was planing to feed twice a week at half dose to spread out the ferts but should i do this?

And should i only add ferts when the iron reading is low? I think i read somewhere that you feed by going by the iron reading? I guess my iron reading is due to the new substrate i layed down last week....

thanks
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 03:57 AM   #2
mpb
Planted Member

First, how old is your tank?

How are you sure that the plants have use all the ferts? You can measure the NO3 level on the tank but there are no way to measure the ferts level.

If your tank is at least 2 months old, you should start adding ferts very slowly. I would say half the dose of the recommended weekly dose in the first week. And yes, it is better to spread out the dosage so you could add of the recommended dose twice.
If you have no algae problems, then you can start increasing the dosage slowly every week. Lets say another half dose.
Depending on load of plants, light intensity and CO2 injection, you may end up with a dosage way bigger than the recommended weekly dosage.

Hope that it helps.
mpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
GraemeK
Planted Member

cheers

well my tank has been up and running for about 2 1/2 years

its fully planted up with CO2 injection and 60watts of T8 lighting at 18000k.

um....when i was only feeding once a week the plants always looked a little drab and washed out...i also got a potassium defiency

ok i'll try a 1/4 does of TMG twice a week and see how this works out. If no alage appears then i'll increase it to 1/2 etc etc...

find out what the plants need eh.

i'm using TMG which has a lower iron content so i'll be interested to know if i need to add aditional iron myself or if TMG is enough.

G
Old 08-17-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a comment/question. Isn't 18000K very high for a planted tank? I had always heard that anything above 10000K was only good for SW reef tanks...
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
GraemeK
Planted Member

not sure really... the tubes are Hagen Powerglo's and 1 aquaglo...

both have a 18000k spectrum i believe... their nice and bright and it states on the packing that they can be used for plants. The light colours that both tubes emitt means i get both good blue and red light, i think!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.