New fish! - Tanganyika Shoreline 50G Riparium - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #61
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
A shoal of Pimelodus pictus could also be great for a species catfish display, and those are often readily available at the LFS. A couple of people suggested dwarf pike cichlids (Crenicichla sp.) as engaging possibilities for this setup while I was looking for ideas. Congos or another West African tetra could also be good and would probably appreciate the overhanging vegetation. Invertzfactory.com has those weird little gobies that could be neat additions. There are just a zillion different fish possibilities.
I agree that the possibilities are unlimited. Even among regular LFS species you would rarely run out of possibilities, but when you add in the internet store stocks, you couldn't live long enough to try them all.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #62
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

There are quite a few other possibilities among catfish. Check out the amazing pictures in this thread from PlantetCatfish.com.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...26493&start=40

Every aspect of that setup is utterly hardcore. It is I suppose more than 400 glalons of water. You would need a lot of space to keep those big plecs.

That's a real good example of a beautifully scaped minimalist tank employing just rocks and gravels as substrates, and with no plants underwater. Something like that could look really cool with emergent plants growing up and out of the top.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #63
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I have wondered if a low water level riparium would work best without aquatic plants. It isn't like you need the plants to keep the water from containing too much nitrate for the fish to live with. The emersed plants will be using it up rapidly anyway. And, the shade down there isn't conducive to growing most aquatic plants. But, with a high water level, and the plants growing out of the top of the tank, it might look odd without the aquatic plants. I'm still thinking about what to plant in my new, high water riparium.

For those with hard tap water an aquascape consisting of rocks only would be a good thing to try, and it would certainly be ideal for many cichlids. But, my tap water is very soft.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #64
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I got this tank set up and here it is with water in it. I have several pictures with more details of setup and I mean to go add more to thread that I had in Equipment.

It's a little bit more than 2/3 full. I applied a black painted background just to the portion that will be below water.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #65
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I cant wait! Good Luck!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #66
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

This tank will be fun. I like the shape of this 50-gallon much more than the taller 65. The tank rim is low enough and the light is high enough that I get a real good view down into the tank from above. I can't wait to start getting plants and fish in there.

I hooked up the filter, heater, and also got some gravel in there. I'll be back with another photo update.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #67
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

That is one more bit of evidence that rimless tanks are the greatest thing since....the last great thing! The partial black background works very well too, and I might try that with my next tank. I'm still not sure it is enough better to justify the effort to get the water line and black back line to align.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #68
trackhazard
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Devin,

That pic reminds me of when I first set up my tank. I had the water a little over half way. Inhabitants were 2 Ctenopoma acutirostre that were approx 4" long or so and a bunch of feeder guppies. I figured the guppies would last long enough to breed and provide hunting opportunities for the climbing perches but they would typically be wiped out in a matter of days.

I've been feeling a need to change up some stuff. Maybe I should go back to that setup.

Setup looks great. Did you say you were going to leave the water area unplanted? I think I am moving towards that direction with my next setup.

-Charlie
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #69
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

A riparium setup would be perfect for hatchets. Less risk for them to go carpet-surfing.

How's the first tank with the Synods coming along, Devin?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #70
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hi there. I'm here for just a minute I have to get back to work. This is the same tank that the Syno. petricolas are going into. I hope that I can get them in there maybe tomorrow tonight. Later tonight I should be able to post a couple more photo updates.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #71
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I like the partial black background too. I almost painted the whole thing, but then I got to thinking about the plants growing up and above the rim of the tank and having two contrasting backgrounds, which would have been visually confusing.

Hatchetfish are a really good idea. This tank will offer a nice view through the top, so a surface dwelling fish could be a great element. The mollies do tend to hang out near the top and that is why I selected them.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #72
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Since you like the idea, I'm going to suggest Marthae hatchets, just so I can live vicariously through you LOL I love these little beauties, but in my tanks they'd just end up snacks for my furry four-footed menagerie
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #73
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I think that the hatchet idea is going to have to wait. The fish that I have in mind for this setup prefer water with pH more on the basic side of neutral. One of my original ideas for this setup involved hatchetfish and pictus catfish.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #74
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Excuse me, but aren't Ripariums supposed to have plants and fish in them? Please remedy the lack quickly.

~Phil
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #75
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I'm working on it. I have gotten the hardscape and gravel into the tank, and tonight I might start adding plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.