New fish! - Tanganyika Shoreline 50G Riparium - Page 38
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #556
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Thanks! I don't ever spary these plants except once in a while if they get dusty. This is an open-top riparium and all the plants do just fine in the regular household humidity.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #557
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Thanks! I don't ever spary these plants except once in a while if they get dusty. This is an open-top riparium and all the plants do just fine in the regular household humidity.
Heh, guess I should have figured since there was fresh mist in a lot of the pics. I just didn't know anubias grows that well in low humidity.
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #558
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Oh I had that Anubias growing in another tank. I think I just linked that picture to show the trellis raft or something. Anubias does need pretty high humidity and it wouldn't do very well in this setup. I grow it in closed-top ripariums like that 56 that I have going right now...

Most of the midground plants in there are Anubias growing in trellis rafts.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #559
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Here's another quick shot...

I really like the bright green and wavy texture of these leaves and Dr. Suess discribes the C. haspan well, but is that considered the flower or the leaf?
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #560
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I really like the bright green and wavy texture of these leaves and Dr. Suess discribes the C. haspan well, but is that considered the flower or the leaf?
Yeah that P. grandifolia is definitely one of the most attractive and most useful riparium plants.

I don't know plant anatomy like I should I think that those C. haspan powderpuffs might be the flowerheads. Those stalks are also just about all the foliage that the plants have too. There are no other leaves coming up from the base.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #561
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's one more quick view...

I gotta take some time tonight for some more serious pictures. When it grows in a bit more I am going to get video too. The fish in here are really great.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #562
oldbonehead
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very beautiful and lush. Pure magic, man.
oldbonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #563
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks! The riparium planting is still looking a little thin. It will look real good in a few weeks when the plants have grown in just a bit more.

There's no magic there at all. Those riparium plants are for the most part just real easy to grow.

I gotta get some more fish pictures. It looks like they were all hiding for that picture, btu the Thoricthys cichlids have grown up real nice. They have beautiful spangled colors all down their flanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #564
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's another quick shot showing the two really cool plants that I have in here.

The arrowhead-shaped leaf shooting up is new (yay!) growth on the Lasia spinosa. The larger green plant to the right is the true species peace lily that I started from seed, Spathiphyllym phryniifolium. I think that plant is more handsome than the hybrid peace lilies that they seel as housplants. It will grow up big too.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #565
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Shoot I think I "edited" when I meant to "quote". Here is one more FTS with a different angle...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #566
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

WOW,

I just read the WHOLE POST, and MAN YOU HAVE THE KNACK for these Ripariums and Photos too! I am going to have to setup one now! The hard part is going to be figuring out what kind to do! Open top or closed top, because I really like the anubias plants!!! And that last group of fish you put in there are super cool!

Anyway, just wanted to tell Ya how much I enjoyed the post, pics and vids!!! I will hopefully be placing a order from Ya soon!

Thanks,
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #567
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey thanks very much I am glad you liked it. I have spent quite a bit of time with this tank, but really these ripariums are pretty easy to put together if you have just a few details in mind. There are a lot of really cool plants that grow well in ripariums. Just let me know if you might have any questions.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #568
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (385/100%)

Awesome Devin! Love that last shot.

What PP software do you use? I know in PS CS5 you could get rid of the blown out wall area right below the lights. Sorry, I'm just nit picking :P
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #569
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi Devin, I haven't kept up on this thread. I just finished reading the entire 38 pages (my hand hurts from spinning my mouse wheel!). As always, your rips are incredible! I think a trip to HD/Lowes/Landscaping shops are in my future. I'll be in touch! Loni
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #570
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Awesome Devin! Love that last shot.

What PP software do you use? I know in PS CS5 you could get rid of the blown out wall area right below the lights. Sorry, I'm just nit picking :P
I am using Photoshop CS4 for Mac. How would you go about doing that in your version?

It is not so bad when the plants grow up more. Right now it is just a lot of white wall reflecting back at me.