lower light loving plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
GraemeK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

lower light loving plants

Hi,

You may have seen my other post about my micro sag. Well i'm not sure that my lighting is to its liking! I've been advised to increase my lighting to 12 hours and see if this makes a differance which i'll try.

Can you recommend a forground carpet like plant which would do well in my condtions below. I already have a huge collection of crypts and java moss so i'm looking for something different... I can post pics if needed.

60watts over 34 US gallons for 10 hours

CO2 at 17ppm

PH 7.2

Ammonia 0ppm

KH 160ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 7ppm

Phosphate 1ppm

Iron .25ppm

The temperature at the moment is around 78-80. The substrate which i layed down last week is JBL's Aquabasis topped with fine gravel. The micro sag is obviously planted on top in the gravel and no roots have yet hit the rich substrate below.

I'm dosing KNO3 as per my test kit readings to give me a nitrate reading of 5-10ppm and dosing TMG twice a week at half dose....

cheers

Graeme.
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

I say dwarf sag will work. Now I dont know if thats what you have and your just calling it micro sag, but http://www.aquaticplantdepot.com/dwarsagsub.html is the plant i'm talking about. I'm going to have a carpet of it in my 55 gallon under 2wpg CF lighting once I get the 200$ lighting setup
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeK
60watts over 34 US gallons for 10 hours
This isn't specific enough... 60 Watts of a titanium heater? Incandescent bulbs? Okay, I am exaggerating... Let's assume it's fluorescent light, maybe 3x 20W. What kind of bulbs? Most importantly, what kind of reflectors?

As you get into the low range of light, these things become important. If you use bad or no reflectors, the light intensity that hits the substrate might not be enough to grow a good lawn. But again, that's just a guess.

Under my not-so-high light conditions, I am growing a lawn of Wisteria. I cut the tops every few weeks, and it spreads almost horizontally, looking good, and different.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
GraemeK
Planted Member

well its all in my signature!

3 x 20w T8 tubes. The backing where the 2 tubes are in the hood is curved and covered in tin foil so its extremely reflective. the remaining tube is hooked on the back of the tank to aid in extra light getting to the back, it is just simply hooked on.

The hood is a all in one job and hence the lighting is moulded in so i cannot replace the lighting which is really crap!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Sorry for that, I should have read more carefully.

If you are using tin foil, be aware that it is a lousy reflector. Better than black plastic, sure, but even white paint would be superior to tin foil. There is something called Mylar which is more reflective and much better than tin foil.

You could also overdrive your bulbs if you think light is an issue...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is it actually tinfoil? Or a proper reflector? I'm asking because tinfoil is one of the worst reflectors you can use. I know it looks like it's reflecting the light, but tests have shown it doesn't do a good job. A white painted background will do a better job.

On another note, I've read that anything over about 10 hours isn't used by plants, so increasing your light time won't make the difference. That said, I know a lot of other people here leave their lights on for 12 or more hours, but I notice that even in my lower light tank, the plants start to close up for the night after about ten hours. Anything over that just benefits the algae.

As other people have already said, 2wpg should be good for dwarf sag. I have it in my 29g and it did well even under my old lighting, which was only about 1.5wpg.

Edited to say that Wasserpest is a faster typist!

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
GraemeK
Planted Member

thanks for your replies!

well um...i fixed tin foil inside the hood about a year ago, maybe i shouldnt. before it was just normal white plastic...

i've increased my CO2 output again slightly and even my crypts are pearling... See how the sag goes i guess.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

Good luck man, you can buy good reflectors for some easy to get money. Take the tinfoil off if possible and see if the plants respond better to the white plastic. I got some clippings from Wasserpest and there great. His lawn effect thing he has is very cool. Hope everything works out for ya man.
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
GraemeK
Planted Member

cheers Puffer

the tin foil is on the reflective side not the matt side which would be dull.

I'd like to add some reflectors but again the hood and lighting is all sealed in so i cannot add things like that! if i could i'd have ripped out the two tubes in the hood long ago!

G
Old 08-17-2004, 02:12 AM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Doesn't make a real difference which side of the tin foil you use. It's a lousy reflector but a great diffuser.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote