Heather's first tank. small update 4.23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Heather's first tank. small update 4.23

This is my first journey into planting a tank. I have to say I've enjoyed it thus far and hope to keep going. I've already got 4 more tanks planned and I'm pretty sure my boyfriend might have some words for me before it's all said and done.

Here's the stats on my little tank.

Aquarium: 10 Gallon AGA
Lighting: Standard 15watt flourescent. 18000k Power GLO* about 11 hours a day.
Filtration: AquaClear 20, 2 sponges 1 biomax
Substrate: Gravel with some Laterite mixed in**
CO2: None.
Ferts: Flourish after weekly 25%-50% water changes.
Plants: Echinodorus cordifolius, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Bacopa monnieri, Hygrophila Difformis, Eleocharis parvula, Nymphoides aquatica, marimo, Ludwigia Repens, Cryptocoryne walkeri 'lutea'
Fish: Rasbora heteromorpha x4, Danio Riero x3, Corydoras Pandas x2, Corydoras Aeneus x2, Tanichthys albonubes x1.***

*Not the norm, I know, but I've had AMAZING growth over the past 6 months with this light.

**Planting was an afterthought, so I mixed laterite in with the gravel

***overstocked yes, but I was put in a position of "if you don't take this fish I'm just gonna flush them" by a 'friend' with the panda cats and danios and couldn't let that happen

I don't have anything in the way of growth photos from day one, but this is the tank as it stands today. I'm waiting for everything to fill in in so I can shape everything more relatively. If anyone has any tips on the aquascape, feel free. As I said I'm new at this and super envious of some tanks I've seen around here so fire away! (Also, I could use some tips on photographing the aquarium...they all come out too dark to too light, so I'm supplying like 3 of the same picture pretty much for comparison.)

And the tank as it stands today on January 10th 2009

More photos on page 3. Specs:
Aquarium: 10 Gallon
Lighting: 2x15 watt 6500k cfl
Filtration: AquaClear 20, 2 sponges 1 biomax
Substrate: Gravel with some Laterite mixed in, sand.
CO2: DIY
Ferts: Flourish Comprehensive weekly, flourish root tabs, flourish NPK, flourish excel.
Plants: Echinodorus cordifolius, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Hygrophila Difformis, Eleocharis parvula, Nymphoides aquatica, marimo, Ludwigia Repens, Cryptocoryne walkeri 'lutea',
Fish: Rasbora heteromorpha x4, Corydoras Aeneus x2, Tanichthys albonubes x1, Poecilia latipinna x1

Last edited by Heatherdersh; 04-23-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Heatherdersh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Beautiful! Looks much larger than a 10.

Woman (if I am correct) IMO have a wonderful eye for planted tanks.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
redfalconf35
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Impressive! You're right about it being overstocked, but it's just incentive to speed up your upgrade to a larger tank
redfalconf35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

wow that's pretty good for a 1st timer!!
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

@EdTheEdge Thank you! Yes I am female, but I think it's funny you say that some of my favorite tanks on here are from guys. Maybe it's just a gender-opposite perspective or something, haha. Thanks again for the compliment

@redfalconf35 yes I feel so bad for it, but at the very least I keep up with pristine maintenance so, while they're crowded, they at least have awesome water quality. Unfortunately the upgrade on this tank may be a few months from now, as my boyfriend and I are living with my parents due to financial hardship. We're working on getting out on our own and banking on that happening after the holidays (yay overtime paychecks for retail work during peak shopping season!), but they're sadly stuck in the 10 for now because I don't have an LFS looking for the fish I took in and my parents don't have the space for a 29 or more optimally the 40br (what I plan on transferring this into). Trust me, though. They'll get the space they deserve as soon as possible!

@Down_Shift Thanks so much!

Last edited by Heatherdersh; 11-08-2009 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: replying to several posters :)
Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

^x3, on a really nice looking tank!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Church
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Yes, good job, Heather. If it looks this good now, I look forward to seeing the tank progress as you further your skills. I'll be watching this one!
Church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Very nice tank. You have a natural talent for scaping. I am keeping an eye on this one, too. And I admire you rescuing the fish. Just keep up with the water changes and you'll be okay with the fish load.
sewingalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

Thanks everyone

Anyone have any tips on getting my ludwigia repens to go red underneath the leaves? It's slightly pinkish now...my Power GLO light is high in the red spectrum, will that be good or bad for this plant? It's just been in the tank a few days now and it's sprouting new leaves but I can't tell their color yet because they're teeny right now. I'm leaning against upgrading my lighting since this is all eventually going into a larger tank and I'd like to save my money for a better light on the new tank...I like the way it looks now, but I'd really love some red color in there to compliment the Rasboras.

Also, tell me about root tabs. I'm still a planted tank newbie, of course...can I use root tabs and liquid flourish? One or the other, or both? Which is best?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Welcome to TPT! Gorgeous tank!

I think people completely underrate those 15 watt T8s... my own favorite tank ATM is a 10gal just like yours.

Root tabs would be a good idea, especially for your sword and crypts. Though, the plants are probably going to outgrow this tank pretty soon. There's no such thing as a "bad" excuse to get another tank, though!

If you're using Flourish Comprehensive, that's pretty much only micros/trace supplements anyways (I think Seachem needs to rename this fert, it's rather misleading).

Your bulb choice is just fine if you like the appearance. Personally, I do like this bulb. Though I just saw a 9325k bulb at walmart and I almost snagged it...

Ludwigia hates me, so I'm afraid I can't speak too much to your issues with it... other than higher light, CO2, and ferts would be more likely to bring out red.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Nice! It's hard to believe that's your first try.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #12
Moody636
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

This looks great! I'm kinda jealous, actually.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

It's definitely my first try! I dunno, I'm somewhat of an artist, perhaps it's just my eye for detail. Thank you fir the compliments though. I'm still of the mindset that it's awful and pales in comparison to every tank I've seen on here, but I tend to be hard on myself when it comes to creative mediums. My own worst critic, I suppose.

@laura, Oh goodness I know about them ourgrowing the tank. The ludwigia is brand new and everything else is relatively so, but the sword I've had since I started the tank in May and I have to trim leaves at least once a week to keep it that tiny. I'm no stranger to pruning and I actually enjoy it. I find it relaxing to tend to living art...but yes, it'll all be plunked into a larger tank soon enough! Thanks for your tips though I may just have to deal with pinkish leaves until the big tank.

And yes, I fully appreciate my little 15watt bulb. It seems it's easy to grow anything in a 10 gallon (compact size perhaps?) But the bigger the tank, the crappier the stock lighting.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

My Ludwigia is happy and the new growth is red. It's a bit bigger today and as such more noticable.

I have a problem though. My crypt is melting. I thought it might have had something to do with the bubble wall irritating it, and since I have no need for bubbles of the oxygen variety anyway, I unplugged it. Leaves are still melting off today. Might it need a few days to bounce back or something else a factor and it's just a goner? This is the first plant I've ever had melt if that helps at all. It's about a week old in the tank, also.

I sure hope not, I really like it as the back centerpiece.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Church
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

It'll come back. Crypts melt. It's what they do when they're not growing.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.