Planted tank with Sump Issues - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #31
MarkMc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I also suggest using hang on prefilters, they tend to be quieter, take up less in tank space, lose less gas. You can take them off and take a pic without anything in the way etc, or go back to canister etc if you want later.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Are you referring to an overflow box like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=18358
?

Mark
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #32
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Drill a hole into the pipe about at the high water level of the sump when operating. That should allow the pipe to 'burp' and get rid of the gurgle. I use the black ribbed tubing they sell for pond use to provide a horizontal run at the end of the pipe. This seems to let the bubbles out of the pipe constantly, underwater in the sump, so there is not a large bubble escaping and gurgling.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #33
goalieman59
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy View Post
Drill a hole into the pipe about at the high water level of the sump when operating. That should allow the pipe to 'burp' and get rid of the gurgle. I use the black ribbed tubing they sell for pond use to provide a horizontal run at the end of the pipe. This seems to let the bubbles out of the pipe constantly, underwater in the sump, so there is not a large bubble escaping and gurgling.
Sound like a good idea, I will try this and see what happens. Would this cause more surface movement of the water in the sump.
goalieman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #34
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Well, I have to guess here, qualify the answer and all that. It depends on the size hole you drill. I would estimate that a 1/8 inch hole would not cause more surface movement, and would be just enough to quietly let the air bubble out. If you put the hole where the maximum water level is during operation you will even have an extra marker for what level it is safe to top off the sump to.

If you mean the black ribbed tubing, no, the flow of water is directed across the sump underwater, rather than down into the sump, minimizing the agitation of the surface. You would not need, or want, to drill the hole if you used this idea.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #35
goalieman59
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well, I have to guess here, qualify the answer and all that. It depends on the size hole you drill. I would estimate that a 1/8 inch hole would not cause more surface movement, and would be just enough to quietly let the air bubble out. If you put the hole where the maximum water level is during operation you will even have an extra marker for what level it is safe to top off the sump to.

If you mean the black ribbed tubing, no, the flow of water is directed across the sump underwater, rather than down into the sump, minimizing the agitation of the surface. You would not need, or want, to drill the hole if you used this idea.
I have clear tubing coming from the tank down to the sump, it come from the bottom of the tank down into a elbow, then turns 90 degrees reducing bushing. Then straight until it goes in clear tubing then to the sump.
Ehiem Pimp #390
2213, 2026, 2028
  • 125g Tall Frontosa
  • 90g African Cichlids
  • 55g Green Spotted Puffers
  • 29g Betta and Dwarf Frog

Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Well you can do what I am describing with the black tubing, with your clear tubing. You don't need to drill a hole. Can you make a submerged horizontal run of 4 or 5 inches in the sump with your tubing?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #37
goalieman59
Algae Grower

Tried that with the tubing underthe water, so I just went and put a stright pvc into the water causing some bubbling but not that much. So I finished the overflow to the sump. Then last night I also built a DIY Reactor installed it now it works fantastic.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #38
goalieman59
Algae Grower

Still having co2 issues on the tank have taken the standpipe up and stopped almost all the gas off in the sump. and have added a DIY CO2 reactor in line. And i still cannot get the drop checker to green. I need help.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #39
goalieman59
Algae Grower

does anyone have a clue.
Ehiem Pimp #390
2213, 2026, 2028
  • 125g Tall Frontosa
  • 90g African Cichlids
  • 55g Green Spotted Puffers
  • 29g Betta and Dwarf Frog

Old 11-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #40
kid creole
Wannabe Guru

How much CO2 are you putting in? In a 120, I don't think you should be able to see bps, it should just be bubbling quickly.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
MarkMc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Is the sump covered? If it isn't you should try covering it with a piece of glass or something then duct tape the edges up.

Mark
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #42
goalieman59
Algae Grower

I am only about 3-4bps and the sump is cover with press and seal.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #43
kid creole
Wannabe Guru

You're not putting in enough CO2. All bubbles are not created equal, so I can't say that my 3 bps is your bps, but I don't even think you're in the ball park. 3-4 bps sounds like a good rate for a 40 gallon with a rex grigg reactor, not a 120 with a sump. How are you diffusing?

edit: Nevermind, I see you are using a glass diffuser. Those aren't very efficient. Crank that bubble rate up.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #44
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

How hard is your water?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #45
goalieman59
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
You're not putting in enough CO2. All bubbles are not created equal, so I can't say that my 3 bps is your bps, but I don't even think you're in the ball park. 3-4 bps sounds like a good rate for a 40 gallon with a rex grigg reactor, not a 120 with a sump. How are you diffusing?

edit: Nevermind, I see you are using a glass diffuser. Those aren't very efficient. Crank that bubble rate up.
I am not using the glass diffusor any more, I am running the co2 into a inline reactor now. letting that do the work.

Quote:
How hard is your water?
My tank is normally around 7.2, I will check tonight. I will check both tap and tank.

Tags
fx5, gassing, sump