The official EDGE thread - Page 73
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #1081
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingoAgency View Post
Good thinking!
Ditto. I'm totally ordering a 12gal lightbar as a replacement part and putting it on my old model 6gal.

Hopefully Hagen will make good on their promise to make replacement parts available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #1082
pageerror404
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can you actually grow plants with the default halogen bulbs? I like the warm light they give off now that I stand back and look at it. I have te orange tank, with orange flourite and it looks good. I have java moss, anubias, and amazon swords all under the lights. Will they grow or I need the buy the blueish Amazon.com led Mr11s? Are the warmer toned leds?
pageerror404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #1083
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

The halogen will grow low light demanding plants.

You just have to to watch out for the temperature, they do make the tank quite warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageerror404 View Post
Can you actually grow plants with the default halogen bulbs? I like the warm light they give off now that I stand back and look at it. I have te orange tank, with orange flourite and it looks good. I have java moss, anubias, and amazon swords all under the lights. Will they grow or I need the buy the blueish Amazon.com led Mr11s? Are the warmer toned leds?
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #1084
ncharlie
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I might stick back in the halogen lights now that it is getting colder and my house drops below 70 degrees.

I have a strap on 10 watt CFL so that add more light.
ncharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #1085
haralds
Algae Grower

Default Fluval E100 on 12 Gallon

My house tends to be in the 60s in winter (66-68).

I just switched to an E100 Fluval (100W) from a Marineland 50W. I was running at 82 deg. The E100 is set to 82, but does not seem to exceed 78-79 deg. It is indicating to be cold (blue light).

Does not look normal, does it?

I went to 100W, because there are time the house is in the 50s at night in the Winter.
haralds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #1086
adriano
Algae Grower

Hey all,

Picked up one of the new "Edge 2" 12 gallon tanks yesterday after quite a bit of consideration. It'll be my first venture into aquariums for fish and plants, actually. I believe I'm covered with all the preparation gear (more powerful filter, heater & separate thermometer, algae magnet, API master test kit, dechlorinator and so forth).

Currently I'm still in the planning phase of how how I'd like to set up the interior. I've been browsing for design ideas for a tank that's so narrow and tall and it seems a bit tricky to get proper coverage at the top. I'd like to avoid a lopsided feel with empty space up there.

Right now I'm thinking a rather large piece of driftwood (if I can get one to fit into the opening) at a diagonal would be a decent focal point. What I'm unsure of is the plants.

Would stuff like amazon swords, anarcharis, myrio and hygrophila augustifolia, in time, provide sufficient coverage for the background?

Thanks in advance!
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #1087
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

i thought id pop some info for you guys who want an edge.

A few Petco's are having a clearance on edge so you can pick one up for like 69.99.
They priced it the same price as the Chi.

I was tempted to pick one up, but i have no space to lay out another tank.
Naekuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #1088
Kato
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekuh View Post
i thought id pop some info for you guys who want an edge.

A few Petco's are having a clearance on edge so you can pick one up for like 69.99.
They priced it the same price as the Chi.

I was tempted to pick one up, but i have no space to lay out another tank.
Anyone in the SF bay area know any Petco that has a Edge with this price? I've been to 5 Petcos from SF to San Mateo and none of them have any. I'm willing to go as far as San Jose or east bay.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #1089
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Greetings fellow Edge lovers, I joined up because this seem like the place where most owners go to.

Does anyone think the replacement MR11 LEDs bulbs are worth the 35 dollars Hagen is selling them for?

Or should we just wait till Hagen offers replacement parts such as the 12 gallon light bar.

Here is my extremely cheap temperately fix until Hagen offers the light bars. 6500 K bulb, A crypt and two Anubias Nana.

FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #1090
haralds
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Does anyone think the replacement MR11 LEDs bulbs are worth the 35 dollars Hagen is selling them for?

Or should we just wait till Hagen offers replacement parts such as the 12 gallon light bar.
I had good luck with high intensity MR11 LED bulbs for a cheaper price, but it depends on the amount of spray you have. I later switched the sockets to MR16, and was pretty happy with that setup. One trick is to affix small strip of duct tape to the bulb sockets to help give them a little extra hold. If the hot bulbs drop into the tank, chances are, they will not survive.

I would not get the 6 gallon LED bar, because I suspect it is not bright enough for anything but low light plants. The 12 Gallon LED bar is pretty nice for the 6 Gallon Edge.
haralds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #1091
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

How did you switch the socket to MR 16? I heard you can just force them into the socket but then you can never go back to MR 11.

Do any of you think the 12 gallon lights will be strong enough for medium light plants?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #1092
colinlp
Algae Grower

Quote:
How did you switch the socket to MR 16? I heard you can just force them into the socket but then you can never go back to MR 11.

Do any of you think the 12 gallon lights will be strong enough for medium light plants?
Undo the 4 screws that hold the 2 halves of the light fitting together, pop it open, unscrew the old fittings and disconnect the wires, screw in the new fittings and connect back up, reassemble and that's it. Well worth fitting an LED driver while your at it, LEDs last much longer with them
colinlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #1093
gotfrogs
Algae Grower

I joined the club yesterday an purchased a 6 gallon from Petsmart for $100. MR11 LEDs are on order. I hope to have water in by next weekend.
gotfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #1094
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

Flyinghellfish,

I have never thought of putting the Edge on the floor would look so great!

I just a space of empty Edge, LOL
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #1095
ncharlie
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:

Make sure the bulbs you put in dont use up more wattage than the transformer.

You dont need to change the plugs from MR 11 to MR16. MR16 will fit with a little push. Tight but workable.

I stuck MR16 halogens and my trnasformer burned out 10 minutes later.

Cost me 40$ to replace the housing. I could have just replaced the transformer but I could not be bothered with trying to find one!
ncharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.