The official EDGE thread - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #331
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzite View Post
A lot of my livestock are getting sucked into my filter. I'm using the HOB filter that came with the edge.

I put some sponge at the end of the tube and that helps. Is there a better way to prevent my filter from sucking up my rasboras and baby shrimp?
I cut out some screening that I use for my moss carpet and have wrapped that around the intake. That keeps the moss and fish out of the filter intake. I've used the sponge, however, I noticed that it restricted the outflow of the filter. I noticed that overtime the sponge on the intake would need to be rinsed and cleaned more often than I thought it would. So I tossed the filter sponge and went with the screening instead and I get a better flow in the water.

The best way to prevent your fish from getting sucked up would be to change the setting on your filter to it's lowest setting and go with either the sponge or screening.

good luck

-el g

Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #332
phishman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to phishman
Default New member

Just wanted to say hi to everyone on this site. The info thats posted on this forum is really helpful. I will be posting some pics and info on my Edge as soon as I can..Got a couple of quick questions regarding the LEDs that everyone is upgrading to..What other ways has anyone came up with to protect them from moisture besides wrapping them in paper protectors..They dont get super hot but I think it may be hot enough to pose a problem with it melting to the bulb..
phishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #333
martinpc
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbmxr18 View Post
I just have it routed into the actual filter. There is a small co2 tube sized hole right behind the intake. I just stuck the tube in there and the chamber fills up with co2 eventually filling up enough that it reaches the impeller. There is a light "wooosh" noise when it happens. Most of the bubbles get diffused in the filter but some of the bubbles make their way into the tank. They all seem to dissolve so there is no bubbles caught under the glass.

I'm sure it's not 100% efficiency but with all my low light plants pearling with just 10w and two LED's I think it's doing just fine ANNNND there is no ugly tubes or diffusers in the tank!
Any chance of getting a picture of what this looks like. I can't seem to find the hole.
martinpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #334
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpc View Post
Any chance of getting a picture of what this looks like. I can't seem to find the hole.
Check out this thread for the pictures.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #335
Arkaeus
Algae Grower

Just got my Edge in and now all I'm waiting on is the mr16 adapters with the mr16 leds. I was curious what you guys would think about this? Rio Mini Sun Daylight and Deep Sea Blue Lighting Fixture- $25.99 I have read pretty much every Fluval edge thread on the net I can find and nobody has mentioned this.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html
Scroll to almost the bottom of the page
Arkaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #336
martinpc
Algae Grower

Default Noob edge

I am a noob here, but I am loving this thread. Thanks so much for all the great tips.

I have used the LED upgrade and have gotten myself up and running. My setup is:
Fluval Edge
Led Upgrade
Aquasoil S
Amazonia
Zebra Stone
HC

Later I want to add some RCS and some fish (haven't decided yet).

I got some HC from aquariumplants.com, but they weren't good at all. I've been growing it immersed for about a month and even dosing Pfertz N and the tablets they sell as a package and no growth. It hasn't grown at all. Does anyone have any ideas to help it grow? Is there a a temperature problem? Should I go ahead and submerse and grow like that?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #337
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaeus View Post
Just got my Edge in and now all I'm waiting on is the mr16 adapters with the mr16 leds. I was curious what you guys would think about this? Rio Mini Sun Daylight and Deep Sea Blue Lighting Fixture- $25.99 I have read pretty much every Fluval edge thread on the net I can find and nobody has mentioned this.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html
Scroll to almost the bottom of the page
That fixture you linked to seems extremely underpowered for any plant use. 10 LEDs may sound like a lot but it's not (they don't give a PAR value). I've bought something similar to the product in your link from eBay and I was not impressed at all despite the fact that it was advertised as "high output LEDs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpc View Post
I got some HC from aquariumplants.com, but they weren't good at all. I've been growing it immersed for about a month and even dosing Pfertz N and the tablets they sell as a package and no growth. It hasn't grown at all. Does anyone have any ideas to help it grow?
From the pictures, I think you mean emersed (out of water). HC is one of those plants that take several months to transform into a carpet. You won't see much of a change in a month. My only suggestion is that you spread the plants out a bit more. Right now, they're grouped into little bunches. You should try to plant it in groups of 1 to 3 plantlets. That way, the individual roots have better access to the nutrients in the substrate. Just a warning though, this is an extremely tedious task. Hope you're a patient person.

I love the minimalist setting you have your Edge decorated around. Very nice job.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #338
martinpc
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
From the pictures, I think you mean emersed (out of water). HC is one of those plants that take several months to transform into a carpet. You won't see much of a change in a month. My only suggestion is that you spread the plants out a bit more. Right now, they're grouped into little bunches. You should try to plant it in groups of 1 to 3 plantlets. That way, the individual roots have better access to the nutrients in the substrate. Just a warning though, this is an extremely tedious task. Hope you're a patient person.

I love the minimalist setting you have your Edge decorated around. Very nice job.
Thanks TLE. I thought I was probably jumping the gun, but I have seen so many people have almost a full ground cover after two months that I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

emersed+spellcheck=immersed. haha. Anyway, that is what I am doing (out of water).
Old 04-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #339
Arkaeus
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=TLE041;1050544]That fixture you linked to seems extremely underpowered for any plant use. 10 LEDs may sound like a lot but it's not (they don't give a PAR value). I've bought something similar to the product in your link from eBay and I was not impressed at all despite the fact that it was advertised as "high output LEDs".

I have these mr16's http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=537
with the coralife 10w mod everyone else was doing. I was mentioning it because they looked small and compact =) Maybe somebody can put them right after the filter lightly bent pointing towards the sides closer to the water for better light/ plant growth in that direction?
Arkaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #340
phishman
Algae Grower

Im using the LED upgrade that everyones using on this site. But I have also put the current LED strips that they sell for reef tanks. Mine is the 10,000k 4 bulb fixture and so far its working really good..It adds a lot of light to the front of the tank that otherwise is in the shadows..Does anyone else on here use this as well and if so what do u thoink of it..
Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #341
tuonor
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Riggy, great looking tank. Would love to hear more details on your setup (lighting, co2, ferts) as your HC seems to be doing well with alot less light then I'm running.

martinpc, I like the rockscape you put together alot. Would be interested in seeing a closer-in FTS.

I responded to your lighting question more specifically in my tank journal, but I'm pretty sure you don't have enough light if you're only running the 2 x 160 lumen LEDs (my total lighting is probably overkill but its pushing closer to 1500 lumens).

When I was growing my HC emersed I used a 24W spiral CFL in an Ikea lamp. I'd guess my plant volume doubled in the first 1-2 weeks and was up 5x over the first month (see p2 of my tank journal for week-by-week photos).

Its almost definitely not nutrients b/c you're using Aquasoil...I didn't start dosing until many weeks in and still got growth in month 1.

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #342
martinpc
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post
martinpc, I like the rockscape you put together alot. Would be interested in seeing a closer-in FTS.

I responded to your lighting question more specifically in my tank journal, but I'm pretty sure you don't have enough light if you're only running the 2 x 160 lumen LEDs (my total lighting is probably overkill but its pushing closer to 1500 lumens).

When I was growing my HC emersed I used a 24W spiral CFL in an Ikea lamp. I'd guess my plant volume doubled in the first 1-2 weeks and was up 5x over the first month (see p2 of my tank journal for week-by-week photos).

Its almost definitely not nutrients b/c you're using Aquasoil...I didn't start dosing until many weeks in and still got growth in month 1.
Thanks tuono, I am working on adding the 10w Walmart light today. Do you think that will be enough?

Here are some close ups of the hardscape.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #343
martinpc
Algae Grower

Default inspired

BTW, tuono, I should credit you for inspiring me to do this. I have been trying to make mine much like yours. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #344
martinpc
Algae Grower

Default new lights

So per, tuono's suggestion, I put in the Walmart 10w light today. It doesn't seem to be that much brighter, but I'm hoping it will start some growth.

Before with LEDs only:

After with LEDs and mini aquarium light:
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #345
phishman
Algae Grower

I've read all the posts on this thread but either I missed it or didn't get it. Is anybody having good growth rates without using Co2 injection in their Edges? Im thinking about a DIY Co2 but also am starting to dose with Flourish Excel tonight..Will the Excel be enough to sustain decent plant life as well provide new growth? I've also bought the whole line of Flourish products I think..lol bit of an overkill but we'll see.If anybody has used these and is familiar with them please let me know..

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye