The official EDGE thread - Page 125
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #1861
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt View Post
You could take the top off with a razor blade

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I just took the top off 2 days ago with a Derby blade that I use for my safety razor and it took less than 5 mins.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #1862
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Yeah I just took the top off 2 days ago with a Derby blade that I use for my safety razor and it took less than 5 mins.
Not sure how you guys got it done with a razor blade I tried and it was a huge pain. I found that some braided fishing line makes it about a 2 minute painless job to remove the top. Simply wrap the two ends of the braided line around some wooden dowels and start sawing at the seam.
GeraldStringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #1863
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldStringham View Post
Not sure how you guys got it done with a razor blade I tried and it was a huge pain. I found that some braided fishing line makes it about a 2 minute painless job to remove the top. Simply wrap the two ends of the braided line around some wooden dowels and start sawing at the seam.
You need super thin sharp razor blades like these:

Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty Amazon.com: Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count: Beauty

I use them for shaving and a box of 200 lasts me 2+ years.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #1864
aman74
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I could use some input. I have a 6g Halogen Edge, haven't ever set it up. I'm looking to upgrade the lighting and wondered what the current options are. I kinda wanna keep the DIY and expense to a minimum and I don't need high light. I just want a bit more light and to get rid of the heat and yellow color of the halogens and the poor coverage of them.

I forget if these come with MR11 of MR16, but what is the purpose for using the ones that fit improperly? I believe I've seen both models at Home Depot, can't remember if they were LED, but I believe they were something other than halogen. Do you get decent coverage just using these and not adding a CFL?

I saw a youtube thread of a mod where they replace the 21 LED lamp with the 42, but do these bars work on the old halogen model? Are they even available anymore? The link posted on youtube about the mod was for Amazon and they no longer have them.

Anyone selling kits in the US? I saw one that looked nice, but it was in the UK.

I guess my last option would be to de-lid it. I kinda wanted to keep the slick look, but I'm now considering it. Anyone's tank break from that? What light would then be a good one to go with?

Thanks!
aman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #1865
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

You can stick and MR11 or MR16 bulb in the halogen EDGE. You can get decent coverage with a wide angle of either but MR16 would give you more PAR. I used to have 2x of these and it was a ton of light.

Amazon.com: TORCHSTAR LED MR16 6000K Daylight Spotlight 12V 4W (330 Lumen - 50 Watt Equivalent) 60 Degree Beam angle: Home Improvement Amazon.com: TORCHSTAR LED MR16 6000K Daylight Spotlight 12V 4W (330 Lumen - 50 Watt Equivalent) 60 Degree Beam angle: Home Improvement
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #1866
revspeed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)

My Edge up to date...

revspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #1867
aman74
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
You can stick and MR11 or MR16 bulb in the halogen EDGE. You can get decent coverage with a wide angle of either but MR16 would give you more PAR. I used to have 2x of these and it was a ton of light.

Amazon.com: TORCHSTAR LED MR16 6000K Daylight Spotlight 12V 4W (330 Lumen - 50 Watt Equivalent) 60 Degree Beam angle: Home Improvement
Thanks, I didn't know about the "wide angle" models, I'll have to look into that.

So there's no issue putting in the MR16's other than the fit being tight? I thought some people were doing an upgrade to some of the electronics to make these work. Just want to make sure it's safe. Also, would you say the ones you linked to push it into high light territory? I want to keep this tank low tech.
aman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #1868
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just joined this club! Wife picked up an Edge for $64 on clearance! I want to keep it low tech. I am ordering a ZooMed 501 to replace the tock filter. Whats been the best update in terms of lighting for this without having to DIY? i.e. better bulbs and so forth?

I am also considering taking the top off, seems pretty straight forward.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #1869
re_hashed
Algae Grower

I've had my edge up and running for a few months now and it's all settled down nicely.

The only thing that I'm not happy about is the filter.

Definitely seriously thinking about purchasing a canister filter and doing what others have done in this thread.
re_hashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #1870
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Review of EDGE after two years running

In case anyone is wondering about how the EDGE stands up over time, I recently tore down the one that I'd had running for the past two years. Here is a summary about the wear and tear I have noticed:

Rust & Corrosion:
  • The mesh screen on the hood it totally rusted - which sucks and is a stupid design flaw. That thing gets constantly wet from back splash and evaporation - super dumb to not take that in consideration when selecting materials. This started to be noticeable after 1 year. At 2 it is now totally ugly & I would want to replace it were I to set the tank up again.
  • I've also noticed corrosion around the pin-holes that the bulbs plug into. I'm not sure exactly how bad that is but it can't be good.

Filter
  • Held up pretty good - But then, Aquaclears usually do. Mine needed a really good scrubbing when I tore it down to get water deposits off but it's still in good working condition and will likely be re-purposed some day.

Tank
  • Also held up really well, except for a few places that I accidentally scratched its in good shape. The only thing is that since its so darn hard to clean I don't know if I'll ever get it back to sparkling new. So there's that.

NOTE: My Edge was out of the first iteration of the product - before they redesigned the light bar to include LEDs, so maybe some of the problems I noticed have been resolved in the more recent versions.

If anyone has any specific questions about wear and tear over time I am happy to answer them

EDIT: A note about CREE LED MR11 bulbs - when I first set up the tank I used these instead of the stock Halogens. The worked great but since they are not sealed against water they started to corrode after about 8mo to a year. I ended up buying the replacement LED bulbs that Hagen sells and I would definitely say that they were worth the slightly higher price point. They are sealed and waterproof and comparable to the MR11 CREE bulbs in the amount of the light they give off. Just thought I'd let you guys all know that if you are considering which bulbs to buy.

Last edited by raven_wilde; 09-12-2013 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: added title; added not about CREE LEDs
raven_wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #1871
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well this is a let down. My Edges light does not work!!

I want to upgrade anyway. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #1872
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisxlency View Post
Well this is a let down. My Edges light does not work!!

I want to upgrade anyway. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, 18" Finnex Ray II DS - http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ra...ual-7000k.html
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #1873
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is Ray II too much light for this tank? Its a low tech setup
Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #1874
6365melanie

I have the 46L edge.....what have people on here done when they go on holiday? Will be gone for 2 weeks in November...any recommendations?
Melanie
6365melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #1875
JoeD
Algae Grower

Default Eheim auto feed for my 46l Edge.

I like the Eheim auto feed for my 46l Edge.
I set it on a block of 2x4 wood (1.5 " side to raise it above the edge "lip") with asparagus rubberbands (thick rubber bands keep it from walking").
It took awhile (measuring dispatch amounts on paper sheet, over and over) to adjust feed door position for the wanted amount of flakes.
I use flakes - and break it up a bit as to not block feeder door with a large flake since my opening was small. Micro pellets proved too small to dispense small enough amounts for a 46l tank, and my fish won't eat pellets.
I set the Eheim for a morning feeding (small amounts) using the once a day feature plus the 1 minute delay feature. It assures that all fish are aware by the second roll of the Eheim and the earliest pigs don't eat all the food.
I leave the top hood off while I'm away so that I didn't have to modify the hood. Could be a problem with flying fish?
I recommend adjusting a week before leaving for vacation to be certain it'll work - everything worked well for 3 weeks total. Could have gone on twice as long.
Be sure you install new batteries - many reviews brought attention to supplied batteries dying, causing failure.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by JoeD; 10-07-2013 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: add photo
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye