The official EDGE thread - Page 120
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #1786
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Here's mine. I just redecorated it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_resized.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	76970  

Last edited by LICfish; 01-30-2013 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: Changed picture
LICfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1787
timfok
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the lighting in my 23L fluval edge, as I wanted to have a heavily planted tank.

I've done a fair bit of research on this, I've upgraded my bulb fixings for the larger ones to house bigger led bulbs, and I was hoping to add the popular mini fluorescent bulb in the gap between the hood and light arm.

The thing is, I've searched everywhere and I can't find a supplier in the UK that makes a bulb slim and small enough, that is daylight kelvin.

What are people doing here? Buying a US bulb and converter? Another type of bulb?

Another thought I had was to make an extension of the light arm using fibreglass and house another pair of MR16 bulbs. What are people's thoughts on this? Less effective than a small fluorescent?

Thanks
timfok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #1788
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfok View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the lighting in my 23L fluval edge, as I wanted to have a heavily planted tank.

I've done a fair bit of research on this, I've upgraded my bulb fixings for the larger ones to house bigger led bulbs, and I was hoping to add the popular mini fluorescent bulb in the gap between the hood and light arm.

The thing is, I've searched everywhere and I can't find a supplier in the UK that makes a bulb slim and small enough, that is daylight kelvin.

What are people doing here? Buying a US bulb and converter? Another type of bulb?

Another thought I had was to make an extension of the light arm using fibreglass and house another pair of MR16 bulbs. What are people's thoughts on this? Less effective than a small fluorescent?

Thanks
You could order one from the States. You shouldn't need a transformer though, just an outlet adapter.

Personally I'm just doing DIY Cree LED stars which I'm mounting inside a straight length of aluminum channel which I'll be setting on the top glass.
Mxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1789
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default 12 Gal Edge

The stock light on a 12 Gal Edge I bought on Craigslist has burned out. Can someone direct me to a source for a new one or some thread that describes installing some other light? I found the website for a new replacement light, but it's around $70.00 [yikes]. Any other suggestions?

sox

Last edited by sockfish; 02-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: add
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #1790
tetraontheedge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sockfish, I ordered my replacement from a similar site (or perhaps the same one you found) at a similarly horrible price.

Have you considered the led wholesalers site? (You would put the two words together plus dot com).

You can mount a bunch of rigid, somewhat insulated lights on your burnt out light arm with zip ties.

I am somewhat selfish in mentioning this because I am looking to sell my lights that I did this with on my Edge 6 gallon.

The only reason I am not still using it is that after a spectacular HVAC outage at work that went on for six months and killed all my fish, shrimp, and 2/3s of my plants, followed by cold that created excessive condensation, the 2-prong part of my original light arm rusted out and the leds on my superbright mr11's came unglued.

The led wholesalers light strips are okay, though.

I decided, upon restarting my tank properly last week, to upgrade to the 12 gallon replacement light arm.

So...if you are interested in three functioning strip lights and all connecting parts, including transformer, pm me. Also, I have my old light arm which may still work, and I'm willing to mail it to you at cost of shipping if you want--you could change out the sockets and put some crazy strong led's in there, maybe?

Elsewhere in this thread people say you may need a different transformer for that, so I'm not totally sure if that would work, though.

Last edited by tetraontheedge; 02-07-2013 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: spelling and clarification
tetraontheedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #1791
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

not planted but heres my 6g edge shellie tank
du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #1792
giantdny
Algae Grower

Default The official EDGE thread

Here are my two. I just got them last week. Used and free. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360216290.015524.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	82266

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360216325.661932.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	82274
And here's how they sit on my dresser. A little cloudy. It's from right when I set them up.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360216409.729297.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	82282
giantdny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #1793
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ How? Were the tanks owned by some drug lord?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #1794
giantdny
Algae Grower

Lol no. Just a good buddy who had one of his big tanks crack. He replaced it and felt like he had too many tanks to take care of. He knew I had nice plans for some new tanks so he offered them to me. Lucky me I love them. I will be transporting my OEBT and crs into them when they are completely done cycling. They have the fluval led upgrade too.also I'd like to add more led's to them.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #1795
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Don't brother, I got the 42 LEDs on the 6 gallon and the light still sucks. It's the hood that blocks the light to the side. I going to rescape mine where the plants are around the middle.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #1796
giantdny
Algae Grower

Really. Well maybe ill work on some reflective material for the hood.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #1797
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

You can't defy the laws of physics, you will just increase the intensity of light in the middle.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #1798
giantdny
Algae Grower

I understand that but if you can add lights and reflect that light throughout the tank that should be better.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #1799
tetraontheedge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have some mirror/foil-type shelf paper. Does anyone think that applying that to the inside of the black square cover (not on the screen ventilation part, of course) would help light distribution?

I'm using the 42 led on a 6G and I feel like the light in the corners is better than when I had souped up led's on the halogen light arm. Still, I'm curious what benefits might come from reflector-izing the interior sides of the cover (maybe none)?
tetraontheedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #1800
shift
Wannabe Guru

Led's are fairly directional and I dont think much of the beam hits the sides.. you have a some minor refraction but i dont think it would be a noticeable différence
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.