The official EDGE thread - Page 118
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #1756
Matt1977
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The official EDGE thread

[IMG]
Matt1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #1757
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

nice looking tanks!! great lighting mods too!!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #1758
milkman55

Just picked up an EDGE 6 gal at 40% off this weekend at Petco. I will be reading this thread to see what to do next.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #1759
sindari

AnotherHobby what are the different pieces that you used for constructing the arms that attached to your 4" PVC sewer pipe? It's one slick setup.

If I could get a breakdown of them all it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
sindari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #1760
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindari View Post
AnotherHobby what are the different pieces that you used for constructing the arms that attached to your 4" PVC sewer pipe? It's one slick setup.

If I could get a breakdown of them all it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Here is the PVC that I used:

1/2" tubing for the arms. < 1' worth
2 1/2" 45 deg elbows
2 1/2" end caps
4" sewer pipe. < 1' worth
4" end cap (cut down to make bracket to attach the light socket to)

I also have more pictures of it if you need.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #1761
fermentedhiker
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I know I'm way late to this party but I caved on the cyber-Monday sales and picked up a 6 gallon Edge(21LED) for my desk. It literally took me three days to read this entire thread

I'm planning a fairly simple setup(I hope). It will be my first attempt at something similar to an Iwagumi layout. Still trying to figure out where to find some nice looking stone. Seiryu or maybe petrified wood if I can find either. Suggestions on a source are welcome.

I will be using the stock filter(I use the same thing on my 10 gallon QT tanks and am comfortable with it's ability and maintenance.

I was thinking of getting the light bar for the 12 gallo(42LED) but from the sound of it this may not be a worthwhile upgrade. Twice as much light in the center and little or no improvement in coverage toward the outside.

I'm planning on doing it low tech(at least that's my plan) with a carpet of Marsilea Minuta and possibly nothing else. Alternatively maybe some DHG or microsword in the backround and maybe some sort of dwarf crypts in the corners to help make them dissappear, although I don't think that fits in with the spartan nature of Iwagumi. Again suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking of using one of those Hydor mini 15W heaters. I like the idea of stuffing it in the filter to not have anything extra in the tank, but was also considering burying it under the substrate(kind of like radiant flooring taking advantage of the thermal mass of the substrate). Not sure if it's enough of a heater though as the house stays in the low 60's in the winter.

Speaking of substrate; was looking at using Fluval Stratum maybe with some MGOPS under it to help keep the plants going.

For stock I'm planning on keeping it simple;
Blackworms
MTS
Thai micro crabs
Red Rilli
and maybe.....just maybe a small school of Pseudomugil gertrudae(I have six in a 20L that I'd like to tear down and use for something else.

I'll post pictures once I get it scaped.

Adam
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #1762
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Back in early November I posted my DIY lighting upgrade in here. Since then I've done a quite involved the rescape of my 12 gallon Edge. I have a thread going on it here: 12 Gallon Reboot Learning Experience

Here is now it's looking today. The new light (along with ADA aqua soil, CO2, and ferts) is providing excellent plant growth! Right now it's almost done going through a new full fishless cycle, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to drop my fish/shrimp back in soon. It'll be home to about 25 shrimp (mostly cherry reds) and about a dozen tetras.

I'm not planning on doing any more with the scape other than adding christmas moss on the driftwood on the left (tis the season!). Other than that, it'll just be maintenance weekly trimming and plant care.

I know I also have all this in my tank journal, but I figured I'd drop it in here as well since this is the thread that brought me to planted tank, and subsequently got me excited about growing plants.

AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #1763
Lovemybetta
Algae Grower

Default Awesome deal on the Edge!

Today I stopped in at petsmart to pick up a few things for my betta and lo and behold, there was the edge on sale (halogen stock light) for $35! I have been looking at them for sometime but I couldn't pass up this deal,

My plan is to run a low tech non co2 tank with this, and I am wondering if led light upgrade is right for my project. I want this to be as low tech as possible and I am hoping for a few suggestions about the best way to go about this. Ideally I'd like to start setting up over christmas holiday.

I'm so excited!
Lovemybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #1764
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemybetta View Post
Today I stopped in at petsmart to pick up a few things for my betta and lo and behold, there was the edge on sale (halogen stock light) for $35! I have been looking at them for sometime but I couldn't pass up this deal,

My plan is to run a low tech non co2 tank with this, and I am wondering if led light upgrade is right for my project. I want this to be as low tech as possible and I am hoping for a few suggestions about the best way to go about this. Ideally I'd like to start setting up over christmas holiday.

I'm so excited!
Even for a low-tech setup it'd be best to swap out the halogens for some good quality WIDE ANGLE MR16 bulbs. The MR16's vary widely in terms of of output, but you can get some that output 400 lumens at 120 degrees and are just 5 or 6 watts. It's easier and less expensive to do that than trying to get into swapping out the lighting bar for a replacement one which would cost more than your tank did. *(By the way, does anyone have a clear idea what sort of PAR two 400 lumen bulbs might output, and whether that would put you in the low-light range for an Edge tank?)

Use an inch of mineralised topsoil with the correct additives, and top that with an inch of medium grain sand. Then it'd be best to do a dry start method for a month or even two in order to get most of your plants well rooted to give them the upper hand over algae. Simples!

That's how I'm about to redo my own tank anyway.
Mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #1765
"Got light?"
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

WOW.... soooo many killer nano's !!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #1766
haralds
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemybetta View Post

I'm so excited!
Upgrade to MR16 LED, I used MR16 240 Lumen 15 SMD LED Wide Angle Flood Light Light Color - White (5000 to 6500K)
Item number: 120607-191501-3402
from LEDwholesalers.com. Brighter than the new LED bridge from Fluval. I actually rewired for these sockets, but you can jam them into the MR11.
haralds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #1767
Matt1977
Algae Grower

Default An update on my Edge

A few months ago, I documented the take-down of my nano cube and the setting up of my Edge. Here is the Journal link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195794

It's now been running for a couple months and everything have settled in well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank_1912low.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	59232  

Matt1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #1768
hsilive
Algae Grower

so how many lumens would be too much for a 12g ? i want to be able to grow even high light plants ?
hsilive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #1769
hsilive
Algae Grower

hmm im thinking for my new 12g fluval tank 2000 lumens cool white led reflected into the tank from up top and around 800 lumens uv light shining directly down these will be set in thier own housing and mind you these are probably very high numbers as i only listed the total wattage for the strips im buying the leds will no doubt be cut shorter thus less watts as well as the white ones may not be facing directly down on the tank plus they will be on dimmers as well so if its overkill i can simply slow the flow

ok thats the light setup i am considering ! advice is always appreciated !!
also i know alot about umm counter culture botony but dont know if the same theories apply to water hmmm i will be asking alot of stange questions bout that !!

next filtration ! never had live plants i know of over crowding with fish but how do i measure my co2 needs ? and my filtration needs ??

Last edited by hsilive; 12-27-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: wrong values
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #1770
hsilive
Algae Grower

ok so i cant sleep !!
uhg i hate holidays bah humbug

so i figured i would ask some ?s and see how planted tanks are similar to umm what i know which is planted pot !! lol to each thier own right ?

ok ill start with what i know these were always my simple rules growing smokables anyway

first cleanslyness is next to godlyness i imagine this is the same

next and i dont understand how exactly this works with water but growth and um potency was always dictated by a few things
light and what kinds of light
personally i used lights im sure would be overkill !

ferts and co2
i place these in the same catagory because they are the same a plant is actually 80-90% carbon and almost all of that comes from co2 ! !
ferts i will ask about once i see how my substrate works out

water cycles were important but i dont think thats too much a issue here !!

so the parts i am wondering about are mostly due to lights and co2 .

first i know how to get my light wp2f using dirt this wpg stuff is bothering me water and acrylics act as receptical for light to me that should mean a watt does much more then it would just floating through the air ?! also different light dont produce the same um "cfi" ? for example my hps or mh lights would have good spectrums for growing and that spec stayed the same for close to six feet ! basically from the ceiling to the floor ! now as for florecence which i used alot low heat low watts even with the best bulbs only had 3 to 6 inches of light that worked well for photosynthisis !!!!!!! big difference.

now we had tried led for cloning with some success but the plants tend to stretch even when they are very close to the led already

now when we were using the led lights for cloning we used rgb yellow and uv only one we havent tried was the ir and mind you these were single cells that we soldered to a board ourselves !!
so my plan is to use twice the watts i think i need and throw in some uv they really do help i think with the stock led and another 60watts white at 6300k CCT and another 30 plus whats in the uv spectrum im not sure the CCT as its not listed

so does the water and tank hold the watts in or does it impede the flow of electrons ?
is it possible to burn your plants like when growing other things ?
in a tank how far will a led produce usable light ?

last of all how overkill am i going ? lol

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye