The official EDGE thread - Page 113
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #1681
aqua_diy

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

The official EDGE thread

Hi,

I will share my tank as well

It's a 12 gallon and bought recently. Aesthetically it's very beautiful, however the access to the interior is not the

best. It's hard to trim the plants. The switch is also annoying.
I got tired to switch it manually so I added a timer At the same time I also added some extra LED's for the plants that require more light.

You can check step by step here: http://diy.appdetector.com/fluval-ed...d-light-timer/

-Peter
aqua_diy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1682
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
^ Nice looking Edge, I took hate the LED's light coverage. I have a 42 LED (Edge 12 gallon light) on my 6 g and it still has horribble coverage.
Yup... I'm gonna accept this tank for what it is and move on. Going to spend my money elsewhere rather then modifcations.

Does anyone have experience with crypt parva in this tank? I read that parva can be low to medium light and survive.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #1683
FluvalEdger

Day 1.

Mostly anubias varieties that worked well in my previous Fluval Spec without any mods. No mods planned for this either as I keep this on my desk at work. I will however notch out a small rectangular hole in the mesh of the canopy to allow for a small automatic feeder on the weekends.

I used an OceanVisions black adhesive background which you can see clearly in the top view photo. No need for a clear back since my desk hutch sits behind it.

Plans are for a few cherries, snails, galaxy rasbora and/or some threadfin rainbows or Endlers. Nothing too crazy...just something to enjoy at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2921.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	51305  

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	51306  

Name:	IMG_2916.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	51307  

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	51308  

FluvalEdger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #1684
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Yup... I'm gonna accept this tank for what it is and move on. Going to spend my money elsewhere rather then modifcations.

Does anyone have experience with crypt parva in this tank? I read that parva can be low to medium light and survive.
I tried parva in my Edge when I first set it up but had no luck... I mean, it lived, and when I finally tore it out and moved it to another tank I found that it had put down some nice roots but it never really seemed to GROW. I did have mine planted along the edges of the tank though. You'll probably have better results because you've got it directly underneath the lights.

FWIW, I agree about accepting this tank for what it is and sinking the big money into other projects. Aside for swapping out the stock halogens for LED bulbs I haven't really done any other mods. I just work within the parameters of a low light tank- couldn't be happier with the results
Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #1685
FluvalEdger

Notched a hole in the top for an automatic feeder. The flaps are angled in a bit to keep food aimed at the opening between the light and front edge.

This feeder is temporary. Switching to an eheim with a narrower chute that will rotate parallel to this opening.

This is at my office so I needed it for the weekends and days I'm not there.

On a daily basis, makes it convenient to feed and dose as well since I don't have to remove the lid.

And when I'm sitting, the hole isn't visible at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	51738  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	51739  

FluvalEdger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #1686
pageerror404
Algae Grower

Anyone have experience with bettas in fluval edge? I'm upgrading my shrimp and tetras to a bigger aquarium and I want to move a betta into the edge.

My concern is that they have to go to the surface to breathe don't they? And I don't want one to get confused and not be able to find the upper reservoir or not be able to comfortably battle the current. Would I just have to lower the water level?
pageerror404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #1687
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageerror404 View Post
Anyone have experience with bettas in fluval edge? I'm upgrading my shrimp and tetras to a bigger aquarium and I want to move a betta into the edge.

My concern is that they have to go to the surface to breathe don't they? And I don't want one to get confused and not be able to find the upper reservoir or not be able to comfortably battle the current. Would I just have to lower the water level?
My betta was actually the first fish I had in my edge. At first he seemed to panic unable to find the opening to breathe so I lowed the water level for the night. The next day I tried it again using food to show em where the opening was. That seemed to do the trick for my guy.
DBlauj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #1688
ncharlie
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

My bettas do fine in the Edge. However, I'd be very careful if you use liquid Co2, etc.

I dosed the tank once and in a few minutes all the fish were at the top gasping for air. All my neons died, etc.

I think the O2 levels in an Edge tend to be fragile due to the small opening.

I too dont fill it up to the top but leave it very close.
ncharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #1689
Shrimpie
Algae Grower

I apologize for the quality ;(
Shrimpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #1690
pageerror404
Algae Grower

Does anyone have any experience with plant grow using the LED lights that come with the 6 gallon tanks now? I am curious if it's worth upgrading. I replaced the Halogen bulbs with small lights at plugged into the same socket.
pageerror404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #1691
maxwellag
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncharlie View Post
My bettas do fine in the Edge. However, I'd be very careful if you use liquid Co2, etc.

I dosed the tank once and in a few minutes all the fish were at the top gasping for air. All my neons died, etc.

I think the O2 levels in an Edge tend to be fragile due to the small opening.

I too dont fill it up to the top but leave it very close.
I just thought I'd clarify that it is unlikely that dosing excel or other liquid carbon supplements caused this. There is no such thing as liquid co2; but there are carbon supplements in liquid form.
maxwellag is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #1692
sunyang730
蝦,美麗的生物

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageerror404 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with plant grow using the LED lights that come with the 6 gallon tanks now? I am curious if it's worth upgrading. I replaced the Halogen bulbs with small lights at plugged into the same socket.
When I still have it with the top, I need to add extra light bar to get enough light to grow HC.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #1693
Stussi613

Figured I'd chime in with some pics of my layout and a few questions after lurking for 2 years and reading all 118 pages of this thread.

I got my 6g Edge over a year ago, but had major filtration problems in my planted 125g discus tank so I didn't set this tank up until a month or two ago when I decided that I would turn it into a CRS tank. I got some Christmas moss, Fluval Shrimp stratum and small driftwood and a few rocks and dry scraped the tank. Super glued the moss on wood, moved a chunk of annubias nana over to a rock and tied it down and then got a bit of water in the tank and covered it with cling wrap to let the glue/moss set and the moss to take hold.

A month later I got the tank filled and got the cycle going and a few Otto cats in it. I added some micro swords and something I can't remember the name of in the back.

The annubias nana leaves died, but new leaves started appearing recently.

Last week I picked up 5 CRS and put them in. For the most part, I was happy with the layout.

But the lighting (original MR11 bulbs) looked like crap and it was driving me nuts. And I was pretty sure I couldn't grow much with 22 watts of halogen light.

The idea of crazy mods did not appeal to me, so I bit the bullet and paid $80 for a 42 LED replacement fixture from a 12g Edge after seeing the link on here. Installed it on Thursday and the lighting is much better!

I'm thinking of moving the micro swords and adding some dwarf hair grass. I'm also thinking I need to go with CO2 and ferts considering the lighting is much higher now and I'm already getting algae near the top on the moss. I actually have a paintball setup with a regulator and solenoid that I bought from a friend and was going to put on my 125g but never did, I also have a small glass diffuser that I could put in the tank under the outflow of the HOB.

I would love to hear feedback on the layout and any advice on plant stocking and adding CO2!

Last edited by Stussi613; 08-04-2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Fixed photo link
Stussi613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #1694
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank stussi... reading 118 pages is pretty crazy. I commend anyone wo can make this a tank with CO2. I mean, having to scape & trim plants frequently will be a real PITA with this tank.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #1695
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Test tank is nearly finished, got a whole bunch of exp on Lights,Growth,Co2.

Coming along nicely, I going to tear it down and start again, finally get to aquascape without fear of dying plants.

Just for fun, my old 12 gallon Edge.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.