The official EDGE thread - Page 103
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #1531
LiveDivine

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey guys, completely new to the site/thread.

I've been wanting to do live plants for a really long time now and thought the Edge would be a perfect starting point.
Very happy with how it turned out.
Bought the LED light upgrades along with a 45 LED light bar to go along with it. (not on in the picture)

11 Neon Tetras. (asked for nine and got three as a bonus I guess.)
3 baby Peppered Cory's
3 Amano Shrimp

LiveDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #1532
haralds
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveDivine View Post
Hey guys, completely new to the site/thread.

I've been wanting to do live plants for a really long time now and thought the Edge would be a perfect starting point.
Very happy with how it turned out.
Bought the LED light upgrades along with a 45 LED light bar to go along with it. (not on in the picture)

11 Neon Tetras. (asked for nine and got three as a bonus I guess.)
3 baby Peppered Cory's
3 Amano Shrimp
Love it. Would recommend the foam filter over the siphon. And hide that big thermometer floating there....
haralds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #1533
LiveDivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by haralds View Post
Love it. Would recommend the foam filter over the siphon. And hide that big thermometer floating there....

I plan to put some black nylon screen around the filter tube, haven't had much time to shop for it unfortunately. It's been about a month and thankfully no one has gotten sucked up yet! *knocks on wood*

The thermometer is temporary, the heater im using doesn't have a guage so I have to adjust it blindly, just making sure it doesn't fluctuate.
LiveDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #1534
BarleyBear
Algae Grower

For those of you with the 6 gallon who've upgraded your 21 LED light bar to the 42 LED light bar, how did you do that? As in, where did you buy it and how did you change it out?

I have been very happy with the 42 LED light bar that came with my 12 gallon. I've just recently bought the 6 gallon and plan to do an Iwagumi style aquascape with it. I'd like to change the 21 LED bar to the 42 LED bar, but I don't know where to buy it or how to change it out.

Please tell me it's not complicated. :-)
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #1535
kkuzelka
Algae Grower

Thanks FlyingFish for the reply!!

Quick question though... What did you mean by this? 5lb and a Aquatek for about 200. is it a co2 system? And if so can i order it online? i put aquatek in google and got a bunch of fish store links and a water filter company....

Thanks again for reading and helping me out with...
kkuzelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #1536
kkuzelka
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyBear View Post
For those of you with the 6 gallon who've upgraded your 21 LED light bar to the 42 LED light bar, how did you do that? As in, where did you buy it and how did you change it out?

I have been very happy with the 42 LED light bar that came with my 12 gallon. I've just recently bought the 6 gallon and plan to do an Iwagumi style aquascape with it. I'd like to change the 21 LED bar to the 42 LED bar, but I don't know where to buy it or how to change it out.

Please tell me it's not complicated. :-)

Two screws are all you need to remove to switch out the bar light from the 21 to 42 LED. You can order it here...

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Replacement-Parts/A13926
Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #1537
daisy7896

Ok quick question, I have the stock edge with 21 led lighting with a Betta and CPO in it. I put in a bunch of baby tears hoping to accomplish a carpet effect but don't know if the regular lighting is enoug. Should I upgrade to the 42 led light and would thatbe enough? I'm fairly new to this and still confused about lighting lol I also dose with flourish and excel since I haven't gotten intothe.co2 thing yet....
daisy7896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #1538
Kernowmcrae
Algae Grower

Evening guys, just wanted to add another EDGE owner - a planted, Co2 enriched 12 Gallon, growing in rather nicely... I've got a couple of issues with the standard lighting at the mo, so will be going through a large modification to add a 10 watt LED into the cover - will post in here when I manage it! If you want a look at how mine is going, I've just updated my tank journal here:

Clicky

Some good looking edges in here!
Kernowmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #1539
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuzelka View Post
Two screws are all you need to remove to switch out the bar light from the 21 to 42 LED. You can order it here...

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Replacement-Parts/A13926
That is the Canadian site for Hagen... has anyone here in the US actually ordered from it? Because, after at least a preliminary look, it doesn't appear that we can.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #1540
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks FlyingFish for the reply!!

Quick question though... What did you mean by this? 5lb and a Aquatek for about 200. is it a co2 system? And if so can i order it online? i put aquatek in google and got a bunch of fish store links and a water filter company....

Thanks again for reading and helping me out with...
A lot of people will tell you to get a dual stage etc, they are worth the money if you have 300 - 400 otherwise you will have to spend some time finding the parts.

What you should do is get a Aquatek for 60 - 70 dollars and a 5 lb Co2 tank. I think it's cheaper to get the tank locally because you will need to find a place to refill it. A 5 lb will last you nearly a year or even more, especially on a 6 or 12 gallon. Harald has the Aquatek and he has no problems with it. You can also find other retail regulators like the AquaticLife compact version for 149. I have it and it's sexy as hell, a bit expensive tho.

By adding the 42 LED along with Co2, I think you can grow carpeting plants.

Items:
AquaTek Co2
5 lb locally (It's heavy, 1 year or more)
Paintball 20 - 24 oz (a few months) Requires AquaTek Adapter (15 - 30)

Dry Fertilizers

K2SO4 Potassium Sulphate
KNO3 Potassium Nitrate
KH2PO4 Mono Potassium Phosphate (Might not be needed)
MgSO4 Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salt)

A cheap Desktop Lamp with 6500k Bulb 23 watts

Because of the physical limitation of the tank, the corners are lacking in light due to the hood. Instead of doing some crazy mod, I really think the easiest thing to do is to add a desktop lamp. Plants will grow slower with normal lighting as long as you have Co2 and Fertilizers in check.

I was in your shoes and I had to read a ton of stuff.

Whatever you choose for Co2, avoid at all cost those cheap overseas regulators. They are equipped (most of the time) with the British / European style connection. Now, the connection we use here is CGA320 and the British style one WILL connect to our thread size but it is not recommended as the steal is prone to leaks. Some of the ebay regulators are not even regulators but flow valves.

Just get the AquaTek or AquaticLife or any North American style regulator, not worth the hassle to change the connection on those cheap Ebay ones. I got burned by one of them.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #1541
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
That is the Canadian site for Hagen... has anyone here in the US actually ordered from it? Because, after at least a preliminary look, it doesn't appear that we can.
Raven, you have to talk to your local Pet store. If they are a Hagen distributor, they can order the part for you. Here in Canada, we can order from the site or the pet store.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #1542
kkuzelka
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
Raven her is another site.. I added this light to my cart and went to checkout and allows you to ship in the U.S.

The only downside about this purchase is off the hagen site its like 25-30 bucks cheaper. On this site its gonna cost you 81 bucks without shipping fee.

http://www.partsandmedia.com/fled42ledfiw.html
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1543
CmdrBond
Algae Grower

Quote:
Hey everyone!

So I joined this forum because everyone seems really eager to help one another and seems a lot nicer than all the other forums I've been stumbling upon when doing research. (A LOT of RESEARCH!!)

Well I picked up the new fluval edge 6G LED a couple weeks ago. Even after reading thread upon thread, post upon post, and forum upon forum I still and have some questions. I'm looking for some opinions from fellow tank lovers about my tank setup.
The tank is sitting in my room right now completely clean and gutted...Didn’t want to start anything before running it by this thread.
So ok here it goes...My first stab at a planted tank...

Equipment:
- 50W fully submersible adjustable heater
- Standard aqua clear filter that comes with the edge
- Fluval edge pre filter sponge
- Bubbler
- After reading the comments on the new led setup on the edges. I decided to upgrade the standard 21 LED that comes with the 6G to the 42 LED light kit made for the 12G fluval. Ordered it last night so should be in the next couple of days.

Miscellaneous:
- Black Fluorite (10pds)
- C02 Booster
- Root Tablets
- Plant Food (Petsmart)
- 2 Pieces of Amazon Driftwood (Already boiled)

Flora: This is what I'm thinking.. Looking/wanting opinions on this
- Moss
o Java Moss or Christmas Moss…Which one is preferred?
- Ricca
o Do you think this will just take over the tank? Or too hard to keep with the small opening in the edge?
- Amazon Sword
- Anubias
- A couple Crypts
o Any Recommendations on the species of crypts that would go well with the edge/setup?

Fauna: Again, What I’m thinking.. Opinions Wanted
- Shrimp two different species (any suggestions)
- Trumpet snails (to turn the gravel over)
- Open to other snails, fish, anything..
- Would love to put a fish or two but don’t want the shrimp being gulped up as a midnight snack

Questions:
- Any other recommendations on any other type of plants would be great! This is my first planted tank so I want to be extra careful with this part.

- I would like to stay away from the C02 tanks and all that because of two reasons.. One, being it’s expensive… Two, just looks like a hassle to setup and maintain. Any input? Will I be able to grow a good number of plants without it and just using supplements (excel, tablets, etc.)

- Since I upgraded my hood to the 42 LED kit do you think that is enough light now for the 6G? Or Do I need more?

- I would love to get two stones for the edge and wrap them in a moss. I know that I don’t want to use any stones/rocks that can be found outside because it can harm a tank. So any recommendations on this issue?

Thanks for tanking your time and reading about my setup. I’m really excited about starting this tank but need to be patience! So that’s why I need the forums help!
Just a question - have you chosen your heater yet?

There are not many that will fit.

I know for a fact that the Fluval E Series 50W fits, see this thread: Fluval Edge 6 Gallon LED (Page #3, Post #33)

In the end I went with the Aquael Neoheater (also linked in that thread), and I went for the 75W as it was the same size. To see it in scale, go to this thread: The official EDGE thread (page #98, post #1470)

I am well chuffed with my choice although 75 watts is probably overkill for a 6 Gal in a centrally heated house in the south of the UK. Temperature has never exceeded the set 25.0C, and has not fallen below 24.5C - averaging about 24.7/24.8C (According to my Seneye reef tank monitor)

Its a great fit, its unobtrusive, it shows the current temp (thereabouts) and its digital (which I believe should mean if it breaks, it should not stay "stuck on").
CmdrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #1544
kkuzelka
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBond View Post
Just a question - have you chosen your heater yet?

There are not many that will fit.

I know for a fact that the Fluval E Series 50W fits, see this thread: Fluval Edge 6 Gallon LED (Page #3, Post #33)

In the end I went with the Aquael Neoheater (also linked in that thread), and I went for the 75W as it was the same size. To see it in scale, go to this thread: The official EDGE thread (page #98, post #1470)

I am well chuffed with my choice although 75 watts is probably overkill for a 6 Gal in a centrally heated house in the south of the UK. Temperature has never exceeded the set 25.0C, and has not fallen below 24.5C - averaging about 24.7/24.8C (According to my Seneye reef tank monitor)

Its a great fit, its unobtrusive, it shows the current temp (thereabouts) and its digital (which I believe should mean if it breaks, it should not stay "stuck on").
Aqueon 50w fully submersible adjustable heater...also shatterproof

What do you think about that heater?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #1545
CmdrBond
Algae Grower

Quote:
Aqueon 50w fully submersible adjustable heater...also shatterproof

What do you think about that heater?
Well I have no experience of them, so it would be unfair to make a direct comparison. I can however comment on appearance and technology.

Firstly, it looks like a reasonable heater, so good luck with it. but it would not be my choice based on it's size (unless I am looking at the wrong one)

Here is how I see them stacking up.

The Aquael is definately the smallest adjustable heater. Has as led based thermometer. Is fully shatterproof and is digitally controlled.

The Fluval E is a standard glass thermometer in a plastic housing to protect the fish. It has a digital thermometer, with colour alert. And I believe is also digitally, rather than thermostatically controlled.

The Aqueon Submersible (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/008/11506.pdf), does not say if it is digitally controlled or not, has no thermometer read out, just a light (I presume to show that the heater is heating). This one is made from shatterresistant glass.

The Aqueon Pro (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm) also does not mention if it is digitally controlled or not, but I think it might be. It has a heating light and a correct temp light, but no thermometer. It is however fully shatterproof having no glass at all.

If I were to choose either it would be the pro, but both are very big for the edge, the Sub is 3.8" x 1.5" x 11" and the pro is 4" x 2"x 12.5"

but that is just my opinion based on very little research.
CmdrBond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye