The official EDGE thread - Page 102
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #1516
Philosophy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks 600. I appreciate the input. BTW, nice tank!
Philosophy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #1517
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can you do a PAR rating on the 42 LED but with the 6 gallon? I'm not sure if I should grab the 12 gallon LED bar for 60 bucks if MR16 have more PAR and LUX.

They are quoting me as 60 - 65 bucks for the 42 LEDs.
MR16 x2 is at 20 - 30 bucks.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #1518
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Psst.... I just posted a big update on my Edge Journal
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #1519
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
Psst.... I just posted a big update on my Edge Journal
It's spring time and I too rescape my 6 gallon Edge. Your growth is great Raven, love the moss on wood.

Here a teaser for my rescape.....

Red & Rilli

HC I'm growing...

Combined

Pearling HC on Rock

I want to get a good carpet going before doing any major addition. The battle with algae is slowly being won by WC and a Smooth Scarper. My shrimps barely touches the stuff, I been spoiling them with Shrimp food.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #1520
CmdrBond
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Can you do a PAR rating on the 42 LED but with the 6 gallon? I'm not sure if I should grab the 12 gallon LED bar for 60 bucks if MR16 have more PAR and LUX.

They are quoting me as 60 - 65 bucks for the 42 LEDs.
MR16 x2 is at 20 - 30 bucks.
Only if I get the 42 LED bar.
CmdrBond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #1521
haralds
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Car Ramrod View Post
You might be able to get an atomizer from made by up aqua on amazon. They're pretty cheap but I've heard good things about them.
Trying the atomizer by Up. Definitely finer.
The larger impeller definitely increases the flow rate. My siphon prefilter was plugged after one week! Time to switch that item to the weekly rinse schedule!
haralds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #1522
Ashted

Hey all im kinda new to this and this is actually my first post. Ive just recently bought the larger 12 Gallon Edge tank and i (hopefully) intend to get a Betta (they are just gorgeous) ive done my research and things but was wondering if this tank would be ideal for it? Ive heard people havent had any problems with having Bettas in their Edge tanks and i know they rely on coming to the surface to get air, however, these people are using the smaller 6 gallon tanks. Would the betta have a problem with finding the surface in a larger 12 gallon version?
Ashted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #1523
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashted View Post
Hey all im kinda new to this and this is actually my first post. Ive just recently bought the larger 12 Gallon Edge tank and i (hopefully) intend to get a Betta (they are just gorgeous) ive done my research and things but was wondering if this tank would be ideal for it? Ive heard people havent had any problems with having Bettas in their Edge tanks and i know they rely on coming to the surface to get air, however, these people are using the smaller 6 gallon tanks. Would the betta have a problem with finding the surface in a larger 12 gallon version?
It really all depends on the betta finding the hole and remembering it. Some people like haralds' betta finds the hole no problem in his 12 gallon, mine on the other hand isn't very smart.

I had my betta in the 6 gallon initially and he freaked out when he couldn't find the hole. After a few days, I decide to buy him his own tank. With a 12 gallon, since it's taller, I think you might run into more problems.They like sleeping on plant leafs close to the top, at least mine does anyways, so the height of the tank might pose further problems.

I just really didn't want to torture my betta, he couldn't find the hole in spite of me feeding him there. I seen a betta in my LFS that finds the hole no problem.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #1524
haralds
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
It really all depends on the betta finding the hole and remembering it. Some people like haralds' betta finds the hole no problem in his 12 gallon, mine on the other hand isn't very smart.

I had my betta in the 6 gallon initially and he freaked out when he couldn't find the hole. After a few days, I decide to buy him his own tank. With a 12 gallon, since it's taller, I think you might run into more problems.They like sleeping on plant leafs close to the top, at least mine does anyways, so the height of the tank might pose further problems.

I just really didn't want to torture my betta, he couldn't find the hole in spite of me feeding him there. I seen a betta in my LFS that finds the hole no problem.
As pointed out, mine has had no trouble. But I wonder, if you see them having an issue, whether they could be trained by temporarily putting a black cover on the top glass, so only the open area is lit?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #1525
BarleyBear
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashted View Post
Hi Ashted,

First, congrats on getting the 12 gallon Edge! I've had mine since January. Just bought the 6 gallon, too.

Before I bought my betta, some folks were concerned that he'd have trouble finding the opening. So I made sure to monitor him for several hours when I first put him in, and I was prepared to lower the water level to provide an inch of surface air for the whole tank if need be. However, he had no trouble whatsoever finding the cut out at the top. And he's had no problem adjusting to a taller tank. I imagine a 12 gallon tall tank is way more space than he's ever had in his life, but he pretty much commands the whole thing. There isn't a nook or cranny, top or bottom, that he doesn't hang out in.

I'd say it took him about 30 minutes to figure out where to get air from. Now he goes straight to it anytime he needs to. Of course, that's where his food comes from, too. He's a pretty smart and adventurous fish, though. Others may have different experiences.

I'd say, make sure you have a few hours to devote to watching him when you put him in and be prepared to either lower the water line or house him somewhere else if he doesn't seem to figure it out.

Good luck!
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #1526
kkuzelka
Algae Grower

Hey everyone!

So I joined this forum because everyone seems really eager to help one another and seems a lot nicer than all the other forums I've been stumbling upon when doing research. (A LOT of RESEARCH!!)

Well I picked up the new fluval edge 6G LED a couple weeks ago. Even after reading thread upon thread, post upon post, and forum upon forum I still and have some questions. I'm looking for some opinions from fellow tank lovers about my tank setup.
The tank is sitting in my room right now completely clean and gutted...Didnít want to start anything before running it by this thread.
So ok here it goes...My first stab at a planted tank...

Equipment:
- 50W fully submersible adjustable heater
- Standard aqua clear filter that comes with the edge
- Fluval edge pre filter sponge
- Bubbler
- After reading the comments on the new led setup on the edges. I decided to upgrade the standard 21 LED that comes with the 6G to the 42 LED light kit made for the 12G fluval. Ordered it last night so should be in the next couple of days.

Miscellaneous:
- Black Fluorite (10pds)
- C02 Booster
- Root Tablets
- Plant Food (Petsmart)
- 2 Pieces of Amazon Driftwood (Already boiled)

Flora: This is what I'm thinking.. Looking/wanting opinions on this
- Moss
o Java Moss or Christmas MossÖWhich one is preferred?
- Ricca
o Do you think this will just take over the tank? Or too hard to keep with the small opening in the edge?
- Amazon Sword
- Anubias
- A couple Crypts
o Any Recommendations on the species of crypts that would go well with the edge/setup?

Fauna: Again, What Iím thinking.. Opinions Wanted
- Shrimp two different species (any suggestions)
- Trumpet snails (to turn the gravel over)
- Open to other snails, fish, anything..
- Would love to put a fish or two but donít want the shrimp being gulped up as a midnight snack

Questions:
- Any other recommendations on any other type of plants would be great! This is my first planted tank so I want to be extra careful with this part.

- I would like to stay away from the C02 tanks and all that because of two reasons.. One, being itís expensiveÖ Two, just looks like a hassle to setup and maintain. Any input? Will I be able to grow a good number of plants without it and just using supplements (excel, tablets, etc.)

- Since I upgraded my hood to the 42 LED kit do you think that is enough light now for the 6G? Or Do I need more?

- I would love to get two stones for the edge and wrap them in a moss. I know that I donít want to use any stones/rocks that can be found outside because it can harm a tank. So any recommendations on this issue?

Thanks for tanking your time and reading about my setup. Iím really excited about starting this tank but need to be patience! So thatís why I need the forums help!
kkuzelka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #1527
Ashted

Massive thankyou to BarleyBear, Haralds and FlyingHellFish for your help! Im certainly open to the idea of having to lower the water line if needs be and the blacking everything but the opening idea sounds fantastic.

Ill most certainly have time to devote to keep an eye on him. Ill be sure to post some pics for you guys of my final set up! Thanks again!
Ashted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #1528
BarleyBear
Algae Grower

I started a new thread "Betta vs. Fluval Edge" to see if we can get more first hand experience from actual betta/Edge owners.

Haralds, FlyingHellFish, would you guys mind posting your experiences there? I'm hoping to gather more anecdotal evidence for folks who are considering housing a betta in an Edge.

The conversation has derailed into a debate over whether or not bettas can drown. Your posts could help steer it back on track.

Thanks.
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
BarleyBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #1529
haralds
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by haralds View Post
UP Atomizer - This is the one I ordered. Should be here Wednesday.
I am returning the small UP Atomizer to Amazon.com after a promising start. It is spec'd to required > 2kg/cm2, I am supplying about 3.9 kg/cm2 (55psi), the max capability of my system.

The atomizer plugged to a very small % of the original volume. CO2 content is dropping.

Going back to the blown glass unit, which has worked great for a while and been very steady.

Your mileage may vary...

Of course, going in there so deep is always a pain. Plenty of partial water changes!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #1530
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuzelka View Post
Hey everyone!

So I joined this forum because everyone seems really eager to help one another and seems a lot nicer than all the other forums I've been stumbling upon when doing research. (A LOT of RESEARCH!!)

Well I picked up the new fluval edge 6G LED a couple weeks ago. Even after reading thread upon thread, post upon post, and forum upon forum I still and have some questions. I'm looking for some opinions from fellow tank lovers about my tank setup.
The tank is sitting in my room right now completely clean and gutted...Didn’t want to start anything before running it by this thread.
So ok here it goes...My first stab at a planted tank...

Equipment:
- 50W fully submersible adjustable heater
- Standard aqua clear filter that comes with the edge
- Fluval edge pre filter sponge
- Bubbler
- After reading the comments on the new led setup on the edges. I decided to upgrade the standard 21 LED that comes with the 6G to the 42 LED light kit made for the 12G fluval. Ordered it last night so should be in the next couple of days.

Miscellaneous:
- Black Fluorite (10pds)
- C02 Booster
- Root Tablets
- Plant Food (Petsmart)
- 2 Pieces of Amazon Driftwood (Already boiled)

Flora: This is what I'm thinking.. Looking/wanting opinions on this
- Moss
o Java Moss or Christmas Moss…Which one is preferred?
- Ricca
o Do you think this will just take over the tank? Or too hard to keep with the small opening in the edge?
- Amazon Sword
- Anubias
- A couple Crypts
o Any Recommendations on the species of crypts that would go well with the edge/setup?

Fauna: Again, What I’m thinking.. Opinions Wanted
- Shrimp two different species (any suggestions)
- Trumpet snails (to turn the gravel over)
- Open to other snails, fish, anything..
- Would love to put a fish or two but don’t want the shrimp being gulped up as a midnight snack

Questions:
- Any other recommendations on any other type of plants would be great! This is my first planted tank so I want to be extra careful with this part.

- I would like to stay away from the C02 tanks and all that because of two reasons.. One, being it’s expensive… Two, just looks like a hassle to setup and maintain. Any input? Will I be able to grow a good number of plants without it and just using supplements (excel, tablets, etc.)

- Since I upgraded my hood to the 42 LED kit do you think that is enough light now for the 6G? Or Do I need more?

- I would love to get two stones for the edge and wrap them in a moss. I know that I don’t want to use any stones/rocks that can be found outside because it can harm a tank. So any recommendations on this issue?

Thanks for tanking your time and reading about my setup. I’m really excited about starting this tank but need to be patience! So that’s why I need the forums help!
Sooo many questions, I'll try my best.

First, try to think of what you want the final tank to look like and go from there. With the 42 LED, I think you will be fine with your choice of plants but if you can, get a table lamp to help out the corners of the tank. Due to the hood, it's does limit the corners of light.

My suggestion is to add the stone, plants, etc first before the fish. You will help get the cycle going and also be able to move things around if you choice. Since the space is limited, you might freak out the livestock with too much of a rescaping.

Adding Co2 with Excel will work for some plants but it really doesn't replace pressurized Co2. You can get a small 5lb and a Aquatek for about 200. Then you can grow all sort of stuff.

How about this:
Moss on Rocks
Driftwood with Moss

Dwarf Hair Grass - Easy carpet plant , try to add a space divider because they can over take other plants.
HC Cuba - If you use a desktop lamp 23 watt 6500 k along with Co2, you will have no problems with this great plant.

Add some Fire Red Shrimp to deal with algae, they have very little bio-load and are hardy.

Some people might tell you to buy Dry Fertilizers but for such a small tank, you can buy Seachem line which will last you a while.

If you don't want to do a Co2 system, you can add Excel with a DIY Co2.

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.