Decaying plant matter from acclimation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Bmhxc1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Decaying plant matter from acclimation

Hi there,

I recently got some Marsilea Minuta for my nano 5g to use as a foreground plant. It was in pretty shabby shape whenever I first picked it up and was about half alive. Since going into my aquarium, new growth has taken off and new leaves are vibrant and their stems are healthy. However, the old bits of the plant that were less than optimal when I got them and those that didn't tolerate acclimation well have begun to grow some pretty thick algae on them. Other than the occasional GSA on my glass, my otto has taken care of any algae growth pretty well apart from these areas where the plant is decaying. It is incredibly easy to uproot and siphoning/little forceps do nothing to help the problem.

Water parameters are:
0 ppm NH3/4
0 ppm NO2
NO3 ranges from being undetectable to 10ppm
KH is 6.0 dKH
GH is 6.0 dH
pH is 6.8

Maintenance is a weekly 20% WC via gravel vaccing and a gentle wipedown of the glass.

Filter is eheim 2213 with a spraybar and restricted flow. Media includes 2 sponge prefilters, bio-layer, purigen, biolayer and a mechanical polisher.

CO2 is accomplished with the crappy hagen nano pressurized CO2. It's the best I can do at the moment- 30 ppm of CO2 if I understand correctly.

Only ferts are flourish once a week.

Lighting is a finnex fugeray, tank is a fluval chi.

Inhabitants are 2 guppies, a Malabar dwarf pufferfish, and an otto. Previously had cherry shrimp before becoming planted but I had given them to a friend. (The puffer bothers none of these and she is mature.)

My question: What would you recommend as a good method to remove the algae and the decaying plant material since physical removal is not working? Snails won't work since the puffer will make short work of them. Would a type of shrimp be effective at removing either the algae or plant material?
Bmhxc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Bmhxc1
Algae Grower

Here is a picture of the problem. This is one of the original bunches of the plant looking pretty sickly with the algae all over it. Propagations do not have this issue.

Last edited by Bmhxc1; 07-03-2015 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: URl didn't work
Old 07-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

No picture

I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hank's Tank Philosophy
HDBenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Bmhxc1
Algae Grower

Weird, how about now?
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #5
jacobsears
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmhxc1 View Post
Weird, how about now?
I can see it...

I've had this happen to old and dying leaves on all kinds of plants. If the algae isn't spreading to the healthy parts, then there's not much to worry about. If it really bothers you then I suppose you could go through and cut off all of the algae covered bits. You also might want to look into getting some amano shrimp I'd guess that they'd make short work of the algae. You could also spot treat with a syringe and some hydrogen peroxide. Your puffer is awesome, btw.
jacobsears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.