Ehiem and CO2 Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
jahysun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ehiem and CO2 Question

Ok all Im getting ready to start a planted 29g tank and I have a question about assembling my equipment. Im planning on running a DIY CO2 system while I get aquanted to planted tanks. This will be used in conjunction with a ahsupply 1x55 light kit with the plan to add another 55 later on ( so I can get the more advanced plants latter) I realize that with 2 x55 at the beggining I would almost deffiinatley have to use a pressurized CO2 sytem,. I just dont have the cash for that right now and im still a little green with the whole plant thing. (no pun entended)

I was thinking that I would go for the ehiim 2213 with this tank..(Hoping that this will be enough later own when I move into a more advanced planting arrangement, and more lighting) If anyoone thinks that this will not work or isnt a good plan please let me know.

Onto the DIY Co2 question. It seems to me the biggest problem with CO2 in general not just DIY is getting the stuff into the water. I have read the articles on a DIY reactor but I just dont have a whole lot of room for something else in the tank( its only a 29g) So I was hoping on being able to hook it directly to the canister but I have yet to see a photo on how this is done exactly? Im planning on using a 2 liter bottle to make the CO2 in but dont know exactly how to get it into the filter. Do I use some sort of T connector? Also, correct me if im wrong, but this goes on the intake side of the filter right?

I chose the Ehiem b/c from what Ive read they are very CO2 friendly but as of yet Im still puzzled on how im supposed to get this thing going. If ANYONE has any thoughts on ANY of these ideas PLEASE let me know.

thanks again
-Jason
jahysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm setting up an aquarium as we speak, and as you see in my signature, I have a 2213 and pressurized CO2.

I've done tons of research on this topic, and found quite a few people who are running CO2 directly into the inlet tube of the 2213 (http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...im+classic+co2

A couple of things to keep in mind:

-some people drill a hole in the intake siphon (hard plastic j-tube) and insert their CO2 tubing there. Suppose for a second that your power in the house shuts off, and your CO2 keeps bubbling into the tube. Soon your siphon suction will be broken, and when the power turns on, you will run the cannister dry (big problem). I've determined that I will run CO2 tubing down to the strainer basket so that the suction has to pull the CO2 bubbles in the strainer--this way, if the power goes out, the CO2 will bubble harmlessly to the surface of the water. (Caveat--if you're rimmomg a solenoid on the CO2 regulator, if the powergoes off, the solenoid will shut off the flow of co2.)

-Re: accumulated air in the cannister--sounds like you've read the same things I have about this, namely that the Eheim Classics don't tend to have a problem with CO2/air amassing at the top of the filter.

I'll let you know how it goes--I should be done painting my DIY stand & canopy this weekend, and will set the system up after that.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

I actually made a DIY external reactor connecting to my Eheim not so long ago. I did it per the general instructions, but had to substitute some general parts out for others. The BORG didn't have what I needed and I went to a local Orchard's (e.g. barbs, using ABS instead of schedule 40, etc.) instead.

Mine's pretty big, but it really doesn't matter, since it's outside of the tank. I have some pictures of it still, and I'll post them later when I get home.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I'm gonna add a disclaimer, and keep in mind I've never used any Eheim:

from all my research and forum surfing, Eheims appear to have a top-mounted impeller. If you inject CO2 into the inlet, you run the risk of CO2 bubbles building up in the impeller area, creating an airlock (so water ceases to flow in and out of the filter). This means that the motor begins to run dry, which will damage/destroy the motor if left un-noticed.

People seem to like using the HOT Magnum's, because they have bottom mounted impellers, so there's no chance for CO2 buildup.

If someone knows differently from experience, please post. I just don't want anyone ruining a new Eheim!
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

In my opinion, you should place the reactor on the output of the canister filter. This removes any risk of CO2 or other gases building up in the impellar area of the filter.
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

I took this consideration into account and mounted the reactor on the output side of the Eheim instead of the input. Also, the hole is drilled on the bottom of the reactor, passes up through the bioballs (9 of them instead of 5) and then back into the tank.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:14 PM   #7
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

Is your water flowing down through the reactor against the CO2 or up through the reactor with the CO2? Just curious.
Eheim Pimp #50
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:39 AM   #8
Avalon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

"Airlocking" is a result of ppl trying to inject too much CO2. As long as you don't over-inject and you keep your can clean (so the water can freely flow), you shouldn't have a problem. I run Eheims and the Magnum HOT, and I've had more problems with the HOT. But both work well.

John P.'s first comment is one to seriously consider. Alternately, you can run your cannister filter off of a battery back-up, like an APC.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Unless you have a solenoid air-locking will also occur if you lose power.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
jahysun
Algae Grower

Wow thanks for the responses all. I realize that there still maybe a problem with using the CO2 on the inlet side of the canister but im just trying to keep one more thing out of the tank. Also im still not quite sure about how this works. Let me see if i have this right. The uptake tube that pulls water out of the tank and into the filter has a hole drilled in it and a airline tube from the generator is fed into this hole?

Againthe only reason I was thinking of this route is to keep more stuff ouot of the tankWhile were on the subject of less things in the tank. Is there such an animal as an inline ph probe for the solenoid? The idea of hanging an unsightly ph probe in the tank is not pleasnt.

If anyone has any pictures of there setup it would greatlt be appreciated. Ithink this is a wonderful forum and there are a lot of great photos of everyones tanks but the just want to take pics of all those silly plants and fish all the time. Iwanna see more pics of the cabinets underneeth where all the real action takes place.

thanks again all. and rememeber ALL ideas welcome

-jason
Old 08-14-2004, 03:36 AM   #11
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
John P.'s first comment is one to seriously consider. Alternately, you can run your cannister filter off of a battery back-up, like an APC.
Not to run this off-topic but I have heard running off of APC units is bad. It has something to do with Sine Waves. Computers can handle a pulsing wave but regular electronics have problems with this. There have been a few discussions on the forum about this and the damage it can do to your lighting/cannisters/etc. Someone had posted a link to some Sine compliant backup units, but they wearn't APC's.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I don't seem to understand the need to use the Eheim as the CO2 reactor?

Why not purchase, or better yet build an inline CO2 reactor? It will be more efficient than bubbling CO2 into the output line on the canister, and less destructive than bubbling CO2 into the inlet side of the canister.

Seems like the most logical way to go to me.

Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
Avalon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

While I can't comment on other brands of battery back up devices, APC claims they are perfectly safe for running lights/heaters/filters from them. In my APC newsletters, just about every one has a "horror" story about how the power went out, and how an APC unit "saved" the user's fish...

I run my filters and heaters off of them. I've never had any problems with equipment or fishes. I do not run lights off of them.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:58 AM   #14
jahysun
Algae Grower

Ok im starting to pull all these ideas together and this post has actually raised a few more questions that im going to search the forun for before i ask. Im sure everyone gets tired of answering the same questions over and over.

but here goes another for this same line of thought. I have seen an idea of a external diffusor and i love the idea. Its not in the tank AND will take advantage of all the CO2 that is produced by my DIY system. Well maybe not all but a good portion of it. Ive heard very promising remarks about complete disolution of the CO2 into the water with this method. The question is thus: Does anyone have any photos or links of various DIY difusors? Im a fairly visual person and this will help when I get ready to head out to the hardware store. Also by putting this inline on the output side of my canister will this prevent me from using an inline heater or possible running a UV sterilzer in the future?

thanks again for all ur remarks. Time to go and ask more questons in other departments. i.e. lighting seems this is the other roadblock on my way to THE planted tank.

-jason
Old 08-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Go to my FAQ. In the CO2 section I have a picture of one of the reactors I have built.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote