Cryptocoryne Wendttii Green Tall
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
GraemeK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

hello,

Well i've got a small 4.4gal nano setup which has a water depth of about 7inches after the substrate. I've got it filled with JBL's aquabasis compost and gravel. The front is filled with Crypt Nevillii which looks good but i wanted a plant for the back and sides and went for Cryptocoryne Wendttii Green which is what my LFS has. When i got the plants yesterday the packinging had:

now this worries me because the water depth isnt much and i dont want this plant growing massive and out the tank! The leaves ae bright green and thin pale stems. the plants are currently about 4 inches tall and look rather healthy.

Is there anything i can do or just wait and see how they go? I guess i could prune them back if they were getting too big? or whould i rip them out now before they ruin the tank?

the ones in the shop are maybe 6 inches tall max but a much darker green but the shop owner said it is Cryptocoryne Wendttii Green
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Not sure about the green one. But my Wendtii bronze is 10" tall right now and the red one is 14" tall.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

True Green wendtii's seem to stay short and grow slower for me, the bronze ones forget, the leaves do get very tall and touch the top of my 75gallon. As far as selling it as a "tall" plant I have never seen it, maybe others have.
They trim easily and can be controlled for a time but the root mass of crypts may cause you problems in such a small tank.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
GraemeK
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

Hi,

Well i spoke to my LFS again and they said that the Tropica Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green'' is only really available to Tropica so the one i have is most probably different! Which i think is the case. Considering my nano tank is quite small i dont want some larger plant sapping up all the nutrients then having to be pulled out.

I've managed to located a Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green'' at the LFS so i'll pick it up tomorrow. I'll transfer the Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green'' Tall to my 33gallon i have.

cheers for your help!

Graeme.

Family Araceae

Continent Asia

Region South-east Asia

Country of origin Sri Lanka

Height 5-10+ cm

Width 8-10 cm

Light requirements very low-high

Temperature 20-30 C

Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard

pH tolerance 5,5-9

Growth medium

Demands easy

Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green'' is suitable for small aquariums. When grown in an open space the leaves will virtually lie on the bottom. Like most other Sri Lanka Cryptocorynes, it also grows well in hard water. Like many other plants, it can be affected by cryptocoryne disease. One way to prevent this is by only leaving the 4-5 newest leaves on the plant when planting. It is a good foreground plant, even in small aquariums. See other Cryptocorynes for further information.
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.