NYC: Scored @ Win Tropical! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
KShoes
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Sunset Hygro is a beautiful plant. I pretty much left all the top leaves alone.
KShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #17
max chavez
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

The red cherry shrimp at win are 1.50 each. They didn't look phenomenal in the tank, but I bought 8, and they've done well and darkened a bunch recently. I get the impression that when things there look healthy at win, they are. But, they're aren't going to get rid of something until it's past it's last leg.
max chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #18
Heartnet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

Wow, $1.50 for each doesn't sound so bad when compared to Pacific; its $10 for 3 cherries at Pacific, so it would come out to be like $3 bucks a pop there. I could probably find a better deal online though if it weren't for this collectoritis of mine flaring up again. I think I'm beginning to become infatuated with getting my nets on any cherries...last leg or not.

Luckily my funds are pretty dried up about now. Now I know an empty wallet is the perfect cure for collectoritis.
Heartnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #19
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Never buy shrimp or endlers at Pacific. Worst prices ever. Even worse than New World.

Edit: Cherries are $4.99 at Petco for some bizarre reason, so make that an even worse place than Pacific!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
KShoes
Planted Tank Obsessed

How do you guys compare Win vs. Pacific in terms of pricing, customer service, quality??? They tend to have more variety in plants than petco/petland/petsmart. I'm in the market for one or two more plants to finish my new planted tank. I will start stocking my tank soon as well so I'd like to know which one is superior quality-wise.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

In terms of pricing, they're at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Pacific has arguably the highest prices in the city, while Win has arguably the lowest. Customer service and quality are similar, though I'd lean slightly towards Win. Pacific does have a much larger selection though.

The two stores are only about a five minute walk from each other, you can always just check both out.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #22
bklyndrvr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/95%)

I haven't been to pacific in a while, but do they still do their buy two get one free? It looks good till you realize that it's break down to be a little more expensive if you buy three. The thing with Pacific is that they have a bigger shop, and usually have more stuff to buy, where Win is a small shop, that is limited on what they can stock.
bklyndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #23
bklyndrvr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/95%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Never buy shrimp or endlers at Pacific. Worst prices ever. Even worse than New World.

Edit: Cherries are $4.99 at Petco for some bizarre reason, so make that an even worse place than Pacific!
OT.. They still have the pygmy cories around?
bklyndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #24
KShoes
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Levi, I've stopped by both shops the few times I've been in the area. Win was closed by the time I went there on a weekday; I'll probably only get there for open hours on weekends then. I bought 4 plants for $5 each from Pacific; they tossed in one free when I asked for a discount. So the average was 4 for what I believe are: 2 x Sunset Hygro, Stargrass (it's dying atm), ludwigia repens, and baby tears I think. How are those? They do still have the buy 2, get one free if I remember correctly.

I also stopped by Royal Aqua (one on 8th ave and 65th St). They were selling dwarf hairgrass for 8 bucks and I believe either a rotala indica green or a green hygro for 6 bucks. Is that standard pricing in the city?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Well, I believe that sunset and green hygro (both are Hygrophila polysperma) are illegal to sell, as they're considered a federal noxious weed in New York State, so I don't believe that there's a standard market price for those plants.

The little potted plants usually sell for around $5 at the chain pet stores, so $8 is expensive, but I believe thats what both Pacific and New World charge.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
KShoes
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Frosty for the info. I ended up finding potted dwarf hairgrass for 5.59 and picked up some anarchis for 2.99 over at the union sq Petco last night. They had some threadfin rainbows for 7 and change. Never got interested in rainbows before but those looked pretty good.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #27
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Threadfin rainbows are much cheaper at Win on Mott Street, and they're almost always in stock. 7 and change is a rip off. I can't remember the normal price at Win, but it's like $3 give or take.

And with that, I put the thread back on topic!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #28
elihanover
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post

Uptown Birds takes the cake at $6.50 per Cherry.

10 Gallon - Redux
elihanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #29
nazspeed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ive seen cherries for 9.99 before thats nuts......
nazspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
agutt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
newworldaquarium.com is the lfs on 38th st
They are overpriced and the guys that work there arent the best... They do get some nice plants in from time to time tho...

agutt is offline   Reply With Quote