urb 55 gal - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #91
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yesterday evening, after coming home from our local garden center with a custom made wreath, the girlfriend and I decided to visit out local petco. I wanted to buy some more schoaling fish and came home with 10 zebra danios. They were selling their amano shrimps for 2 dollars a pop so I just took the whole lot, which was 3. Will be back for me shrimps, my other LFS sells these bad boys for 5 dollars a shrimp!

I did some trimming and planted them as well as added about 2 packets of root tabs to the substrate. I've been a bit concerned with the dwarf saggitaria. It's not sprouted any runners and saw some melting of some leaves. While I was planting the root tabs, I noticed one dwarf sag plant sent out a runner. There is hope! Will post a picture update later on this evening.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #92
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 6 Update:

Last edited by urbguy; 12-19-2012 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: ...
urbguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #93
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Great job! Wish I had friends I could encourage! Subscribed for updates! =]

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #94
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 7 Update:
I did my bi-weekly trimming to get trimmings to replant. I was able to get quite a few bacopa and rotala trimmings and replanted into the less dense area.

Weekly Monday Pic:

Last week, I hope many of you guys took advantage of the pFertz sale...I know I did. Bought my refills and just waiting for it to ship. I bought a few more root tabs because why not? Nothing exciting happening in the tank I am still wondering what else I can stock. I've asked for suggestions and it seems the general consensus calls for either angels or german blue rams. I am worried about adding angels because I'm worried they may be a bit aggressive for my tank. I will; however, think of some blue rams as I've always wanted some.

Last edited by urbguy; 12-12-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #95
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 8 Update:
I recently got some root tabs in the mail from pFertz and planted them into the substrate. I did some more trimming around the bacopa and planted them around the already dense right corner. I thought it couldn't hurt to plant it around other locations. I want to be able to train the bacopa to possibly mound up. I know it'll be more work to keep the plant low, but hey, why not try.

Weekly Monday Pic:

Over the weekend, I bought some red eye tetras and I am totally digging this fish. It's super fun to watch as they seem to love to do the huddle from time to time. They are such fast swimmers and are a bit shy. I did notice that they love to swim against the current provided by the circulating fan. Aside from the red eye, these tetras are a bit larger and gives a bit of contrast in terms of size differences between the zebra danio and the rummynose. As for plant growth, I've noticed some considerable growth in the rotala within a week, I'm excited to see more!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #96
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

My fissidens came yesterday and I couldn't have been happier. I couldn't want to put them into the tank. I didn't have any mesh avaliable until I opened the fridge. The garlic mesh carrier that holds 6-7 bulbs of garlic was a very lucky find since I was in such an impulsive state. I wrapped a few pebbles and placed them around the drift wood. Whatever I had left, I placed the moss right under the rocks as a place holder to hold the moss in place. Very happy with the delivery, moss was in great condition.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #97
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Pictures! Isnt it so exciting when you get a plant order? Its like Christmas and your birthday in one!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #98
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Pictures! Isnt it so exciting when you get a plant order? Its like Christmas and your birthday in one!
You're telling me! I'm in the process of getting the pictures uploaded.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #99
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mini Tank Update:

I wanted to point out that I recently learned that most stem plants close up leaves when the lights are off. The lights had turned off 2 hours ago, I just turned on the lights just to see if I could confirm and here is my confirmation.

Here is the rotala open.

Last edited by urbguy; 12-21-2012 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #100
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 9 Update:
Merry Christmas!
Upon doing some maintenance today, I have noticed a few strands of hairgrass algae growth as well as some BGA mats. This is the first time I've ever seen algae grow soo slow in my personal experience. I was able to catch the growth and remove it completely. With the addition of Excel I am able to control that to a minimum. I like this set up very much. I noticed that the growth probably means that I have a excess amount of nutrients that was not absorbed enough. I've skipped this weeks dosage.

Weekly Monday Pic:
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #101
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 10 Update:
Happy New Year!
I've been inundated with house work and haven't really had time to check out the tank. I trimmed a few here and there and replanted again as usual. I am seeing a really nice defined shrub like feature on the right side and it's exactly what I had hoped for. I am also noting that alot of the rotala in the back are coming in very nicely. I have gone 1 week without dosing ferts hoping it all gets soaked up. No algae outbreak and from what I can see the BBA is again diminishing. Not a sign of any mats of BGA and that is awesome. My tank just turned off for the night, looks like I'll go cruise around Netflix until I fall asleep.

Weekly Monday Pic:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #102
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 11 Update:
House work is finally dying down. The new sofas come tomorrow and IKEA this weekend...anyway, I'm really excited this this week because I finally decided to hook back up the co2 system that I purchased almost a year ago. I cranked it up to 1 bubble every 1.5 second, big whoop right? My old diffuser for some reason has clogged up, but what can I say, it's been a year. I found a regular airstone and found success! The bubbles coming out of the airstone are just as fine. I'm a bit peeved about my dwarf saggitaria and dwarf hairgrass not spreading as quickly, I hope adding some co2 can help. I took some pictures to show some closer details of the tank.

The original airstone that came with the simple co2 system is soaking in a bowl of vinegar. I hope it will help break down whatever has calcified within the stone. If it doesn't work, I'm satisfied with what I replaced the original with.

Weekly Monday Pic:

Close up of bacopa bush.

Red eye

Side view of tank.

Top view

Full view
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #103
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 12 Update:
Well my try at trying to save my air stone failed. I stuck with the one I used and its working fine. There is not much to report other than the co2 is doing its job and I've noticed an observable difference. I don't see much algae but I notice some small specs of BBA here and there. The rotala is getting considerably redder and its quite exciting to watch the plant change colors. I also noticed that the trimmed bacopa is slowly creeping which is what I want. Noticed I don't need high light for this to be achieved but I think it has something to so with the added co2. With my excess trimmings, I've sent some of them my friends way and I hope it'll do good over in his chi. I leave with my weekly Monday pic.

Weekly Monday Pic:

Last edited by urbguy; 01-16-2013 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #104
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 13 Update:
I reflected a bit this week about how some plants aren't flourishing, especially my dwarf sagittaria. I asked around about how the plant propagates and it seems everywhere I ask, I get the answer it takes some time and it usually ends up with you not wanting the plant anymore. It's been about 10 weeks and I noticed only a very small spread of the dwarf sagittaria. I have noticed a pretty drastic difference in growth once the CO2 was added; so maybe the dwarf sagittaria will finally take off. Aside from all that, I have added 10 more red-eye tetras and the tank looks pretty amazing. The size of the red eye tetra definitely helps fill in any voids and I am loving it.

Weekly Monday Pic:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #105
switch26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

keep that bacopa trimmed and it should carpet and bush right up. I have bacopa in my tank and i just kept cutting and cutting and cutting.. the only issue is when it gets REALLY thick and bushy the lower levels don't get any light and yellow up so i try to keep it lower and not so super thick.

I use to dose pfertz, didn't read see if u were still dosing it, and saw some issues you had. But the normal dosing levels aren't what a heavily planted tank would require. I switched over to EI dosing and it is cheaper and i see lots of growth daily
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.