urb 55 gal - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #76
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Try adding more flow to your tank. That happened to me when I had dhg and not alot of flow at the bottom of my tank. I'm talking about the browning by the way.
Hcancino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #77
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Update: 1/20/2012

Water change yesterday. Had some tests done and found the nitrate to be between 5-10ppm so exactly what I had wanted. All other parameters are standard. I do believe I have reached an equilibrium. Also, cleaned alot of the diatom out of the tank. Stem plants are making remarkable progress, new shoots everywhere. The HC seems to be making a come back, I did not realize this but I tried to get more water flow to the substrate surface and diverted the nozzle but it was aimed too low, got a nice film on the water surface...Fixed that last night. Hopefully, this routine will produce better results.

One thing I want to note...I have a pretty established tank, flourite contained alot of mulm. Because I added the eco-complete ontop, and unrinsed, that probably helped the diatom appear. Had a few other aquarists confirm this is definitely a possibility.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #78
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: 1/30/2012

I've been sick at home with a viral infection the past week and it's strange, I noticed more growth in my week of being sick than I've noticed ever. Anyway, the diatoms seems to have run its course, pretty much turned to black and plants seem to be crawling all over it. I've an explosion of snails since I've last seen my tank. Also, I noticed I have a new fish! They look to be guppy-ish and have no idea where they came from. I do remember I introduced cabomba to my tank but that was over half a month ago.

Anyway, everything seems to be on course; however, I might have to take out my Rotala Nanjenshan, it's all blackened at the tips and I do not really care for it in this condition unless I can find the reason why it's blackened. It's producing new lateral growth but it's just so unattractive to look at. How can my other plants create such strong shoots but the rotala be in such frail condition?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #79
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

[Update: 3/3/2012]

It's been quite a while since the last update but things turned out for the better. I rechecked the algae and found it to be blue green algae rather than diatoms because i think if i had diatoms it'd be gone. I've installed an airstone hoping to give the tank a bit more air when i'm not injecting CO2. Every water change I do comes with manual removal of the BGA so far, it seems to be working extremely well.

So here is a pic of the BGA coverage on January 31st 2012.

Looks totally disgusting, I had enough of it and just went to town on the bacteria/algae.

This was what the tank look like before the BGA totally covered the tank.

Totally dismal looking...

Here is what the tank looks today.

Really looking alot better. BGA coverage is gone with a few areas here and there.

Here is an image of the clump of HC I planted in the small little niche of the drift wood. Looks like the HC is starting to climb down the wood, love it.

Here is a shot of the background plants. Notice the debris coverage onthe bottom. I can't really seem to get rid of the debris but I do believe it's a mix between snail droppings (had an outbreak) and the BGA dying off because of the O2 addition.

A side pic of the tank. See more of the advancing coverage of the HC.

And finally a close up of my Amano, whom I've named Charles.

Everything looks amazing. Will post more updates.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #80
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

So over the months after my failed tank. The plants went to hell and I more or less and took a hiatus to re-examine my method. I did realized I couldn't keep up with the high demands, laziness settled in after i had a discouraging algae bloom that I could not control. I thought I'd give it a chance but this time, instead of my ad hoc high tech approach, I settled for the low tech method instead.

Here is the list of flora I plan to order:
3 x Sagittaria, Dwarf (Order comes in 10 plants per order)
3 x Bacopa australis
2 x Hygrophila corymbosa Angustifolia
4 x Anubias, Nana (Anubias Barteri v. Nana
3 x Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
3 X Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)

I posted this in the low tech segment and got some pretty good feedback. There were a few that I had to take out but overall good selection.

Adjusting my lights, I'm at 2 x 39w T5HO bulbs and hope that I'm not over doing it. I've been cycling the tank for a month already and didn't notice any outbreaks.

I've even added a current circulator to boost up the tanks current by about 13%. The main issue I had with my old tank was there were too many dead zones. Adding more circulation I hope that it will help mitigate dead zones.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #81
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It took about 2 weeks for the plants to arrive but when they finally did, it was in awesome condition.

Here is a picture of the initial tank and the planting process.

Planting

Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #82
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been a week since the initial planting and it looks to be in great condition.
Before:

After:

Have not stocked any fishes yet; however, there is enough decaying matter that was left over to supply sustenance for the plants.

Last edited by urbguy; 11-09-2012 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: added before shot
urbguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #83
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did noticed a bit rather late; but, I found the Bacopa I ordered was not as I expected. I ordered the Bacaop Australis however, ended up with the carolinia instead. Kind of a big let down, but I love it regardless. I have sent the place numerous emails stating my claim but they haven't answered back. Any thoughts on what is the best approach? Let it go? Continue my pestering?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #84
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update on the bacopa. I called them, the place said it's the right kind all I need to do is to keep trimming...Sure...Oh well, I'm happy with what I have.

I do notice a bit of melting, mainly the hygrophila. Probably because this is the normal process for replanting. Not sure how they were grown but I do hope they get better.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #85
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been 2 weeks since I've added the plants and I've noticed some considerable growth. I also added 20 rummynose tetras to the tank.

Week 2 Picture Update:

Last edited by urbguy; 11-14-2012 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: changed pic size
urbguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #86
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 3 Update:

I've lost for some reason 3 rummynose tetras and still cannot understand why. I checked the water for any clues and couldn't find any. Everything was where it should be. I also feed these buggers twice a day; however, when I pull the corpse out, it's totally been ravaged. Aside from the tetra's everything is growing quite well.

I've trimmed the Bacopa and have established them in other parts of the tank. They are growing rather quickly, I hope to have enough to one day replace the hornwort in the tank. The rotalas are also doing quite well. I forsee in a few months, I can trim and then have new cuttings to replant.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #87
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's happened, the hornwort has detached and is all over the place. I am not sure if I should continue to keep them in the tank or not. I want to keep them in because it keeps the right corner full but I've realized my plants are growing at a pretty rapid pace where I can cut and plant. Also, I'm under the assumption that the rapid growth of the hornwort will keep algae down since it'll out compete the algae. Then again, the other plants are growing just as fast. Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #88
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

A friend of mine has the fluval chi and has sand for substrate for slightly over half a year now. He has some real plants, namely bamboo, but he's been complaining about how his tank gets murky white. I told him I had sand once and it looks filmy even on the best days. I've been able to convince him to change his substrate. He's going with flora max, because of him losing the standoff between sand and good substrate, I said I'd give him plants since he's willing to switch over. Also since my tank is getting over run by hornwort and other rapid growing plants, I'd be happy to give him my clippings.

I did warn him of the impending doom of hornwort but he's willing to take it since he is sick of changing the water when the slightest hint of murk comes.

He's going to be setting up his tank tonight and ill be able to give him the goods tomorrow. Right now this is what his tank looks like.

I'm excited for him. He told me he changes water every week and be has to do a hard scrub down (doesn't really help). I told him he doesn't need to with low tech tanks so I'm sure he'll appreciate some more time with the new wife.

I'm pretty sure once it's all up and running, this tank will be good to go.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #89
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Week 4 Update:

Weekly Pic Update:
The hornwort is taken out of the tank, and good riddance. It was a pain in the ass. Did some major trimming and ended up with a few bushels, replanted to the side. Can't wait for it to fill in.

Got bored and couldn't sleep...Got work in the morning, at least I'll go into work knowing my tank is in ship shape.

Results:

Trimmed Bacopa and Rotala in back.

Anubias blooming.

Rotala trimmed

Side view.

Getting tired here.

Another rotala side shot.

Shrimp on a stick.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #90
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

3 days ago, I brought the cuttings I had placed at a corner of my tank to a buddy of mine because he was interested in planted tanks. Also complaining about the tank being murky, the moment he added water into the tank with the flora max substrate, he noticed an immediate clarity that he hasn't seen ever. Not sure if I did good because I got word from his wife that he more or less got lost in the tank all night haha.

Heres to hoping everything turns out ok lol. He has some rotala, bacopa, java moss, and maybe 1 strand of dwarf hairgrass. I know the chi lighting sucks, Hoping to find him a better light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.