urb 55 gal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-31-2009, 04:54 AM   #16
JennaH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

i really want to do a riccia carpet in my 55 but i've also heard that it will eventually die under the netting/mesh and float to the top. i think regular trimming will take care of that? but what a mess it will make to trim an entire carpet of riccia! good luck i can't wait to see when it fills in
JennaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #17
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaH View Post
i really want to do a riccia carpet in my 55 but i've also heard that it will eventually die under the netting/mesh and float to the top. i think regular trimming will take care of that? but what a mess it will make to trim an entire carpet of riccia! good luck i can't wait to see when it fills in
Thanks alot, I really do believe that trimming it is the best thing to do. it would be a hassle but i plan to take out the whole mesh and just cut it outside the tank. but man, if these were actually practical I'D BUY IT just for the purpose of cutting riccia in the tank. haha

They are bracelets btw, created by a french designer Thomas Jaillot.
urbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
mountaindew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This setup it starting to take shape.
good work
md
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
tanh3
Algae Grower

dude, nice tank.
tanh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got my drop checker in the mail today! It took a while for it to come though...Not really happy about it taking almost 2 weeks to arrive. It didn't even come with an indicator sheet...Anyways, I placed it into the tank and waited about 3 hours for the water to reach equilibrium. I went back onto ebay and complained to the seller and asked if he could tell me what the colors meant. He told me that blue was insufficient, yellow was too much and green was good. After close evaluation, my drop checker had a very obvious blue but also had a slight hue of green. I figured that it could use some more CO2. I also noticed that alot of the water wistera were pearling a bit; but, it happens inconsistently. So, I decided to upgrade from 1 Liter to a 2 Liter bottle and plan to install it tonight. It's been about 2 weeks since i installed my 1 liter, I figured that it's about time I changed the yeast compound anyways.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 AM   #21
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been a while since I posted an update. Since then nothing was added to the tank. However, I did take the my light and took out 1 of the 2 Actinic lights and replaced it with a 6700k 39w bulb and boy did it do wonders! I'm up to 117w with 1 actinic bulb to bring out the fish. i had forgot to turn off the fan for the light and also forgot to plug in the led moon light so when i just turned on the light i found the whole tank filled with pearls. I've had pearls in the past but it was kind of rare but since my whole floor is riccia carpet, my whole floor was shining bright! But I just want to post an update and a time lapse of my tank the first time it was rearranged.

So this is from October 15th to November 11th.

Pearling carpet.

Pearling carpet #2.

This picture was so good that I'm currently using it as my wallpaper! lol.

More Pearling.

I'm just excited because I didn't know if I was capable to make my plants pearl.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #22
JennaH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

looks great! the carpet is filling in nicely!! riccia is great at pearling, it's the only plant of mine i've ever gotten to do it.
JennaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #23
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

How come you are the first person I have seen to use this type of plant carpet? Its awsome!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #24
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
How come you are the first person I have seen to use this type of plant carpet? Its awsome!
the more i think about it, the more i think about how i dug myself a hole...it's not a deep hole but it's a hole. meaning that maintenance is going to suck lol.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #25
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

It'll be worth it though--it's a pretty cool idea. Wouldn't it be cool to use your riccia carpet method on a steep slope?
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #26
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

you know, after my re-scape i am still rather unhappy with it. i feel like there just isn't enough substrate in the back or substrate in general. with money being tight these days it's rather hard for me to get anything. but if i were to re-scape again, which i plan to because i want this set up to be a "test" for me to get experience and all, i want to try out the ADA soil. hydrophyte do when you say steep slope do you mean to do it like an igwami style? like the illusion of depth.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alas, all good things will come to an end. Several people have warned me before in the beginning about the riccia rotting on the underside of the netting but I thought that trimming would have helped it. After about a month and a half of trim maintenance, nothing really did help slow down the rotting. so i decided to do a tear down of the foreground plant. it was easy though, just pull the stuff up and it's done. good thing i've been selling the riccia, because i had alot and would have felt rather guilty to have just thrown away all that good stuff. saved 2 rocks and replanted it with some riccia for a small adornment rather than before. all the rotted matter basically went around the whole tank and settled, figured that it'll come in handy anyways so good for the tank. I bought some glossostigma but it was kind of dead on one side rather just a small portion of it, but i hope that i can nurse it back to health. will be planning to distribute the glosso once it's ready to be split up. but man, a good 6 months messing around with riccia, it was a good thing lol.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #28
brinks
Algae Grower

I think Scarlet temple plant may be Alternanthera sessilis which is a emersed plant not a true aquatic, but it could be one of the other Alternanthera species which can be grown, but like lots of light to stay red.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #29
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I added the glosso today and planting it was i gotta admit pretty fun because it was like planting rice in rice paddies. I found that using my thumb to force the roots under did the trick better than using tweezers. Dosed the regular dosage of ferts and added more iron into the mix and reloaded the 1 L diy co2 bottle. Still alot of riccia bits floating up and alot of the rotted riccia clung to alot of the other plants. Will the rotted material disappear or will it stay? Because right now, it looks like fuzz on leaves and stuff.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #30
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I wanted to get some pictures in. This is about a week after I got rid of all my riccia. I have still some left over so I'm not hating the plant that much. But man is it bare down there.

This is a rather dark shot of it so I'm going to try to get a brighter pic tomorrow.

So since then I've bought some glosso and here are the pics of the glosso. They have started to spring roots so I'm kinda psyched!

A brighter shot of the glosso.

Another shot of a different batch.

So, the glosso still has a ways to go but I'm going to keep doing whatever I'm doing.