10 Gallon Riparium Experiment
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

10 Gallon Riparium Experiment

Well, I can't do with just two riparium set-ups, when I still have another tank that's empty. So, this time I'm going for a 10 gallon riparium, but with differences. This one will have the water occupying most of the volume, with just a small air space, with the emergent plants largely growing above the tank. The basic setup will be on my desk and will be like this:

Instead of painting the back of the tank black, I will have a wood back painted black. This is primarily to support a light fixture. And, the light fixture will be my attempt to use spiral powersaver PC bulbs, but with flood light type reflectors, so the nose of the bulbs point down to the aquarium. This should give me the intense lighting a riparium seems to need. And, it's a very cheap way to get lighting - about $20 for two clamp on lights, assembled together on a support bar.

I'm thinking of using a caladium or two as the feature plants, with perhaps impatiens as the lower growing plants.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

This is going to be one more interesting setup. You and hydrophyte are gradually coaxing me to breakdown one of my tanks and start a riparium but I want to hold back till I get the my current layout to mature.

And till then learn some more about ripariums from you guys.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Nice! You are making me want to pull one of the 30 breeders out of the garage now. :P
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Strick
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sweet. Keep us up to date with more pictures as you progress. Can't wait to see it...
Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

This is a good idea and Hoppy's plan makes me want to try something similar. I think that a 30 Breeder with top rim removed would be a real good option. This could create the same kind of feeling as a planted garden pond. Fish that are suited to being viewed from above, such as goldfish or mollies, would be excellent choices. I gotta watch out for 30 Breeders on Craigslist.

Of course this begs the question of why one wouldn't just do a simple paludarium setup in a shallow tank like that by stacking up driftwood or lava rock to develop the planting area. I have seen setups like that before. I imagine that the riparium planters would make it easier to set everything up and grow a wider variety of plants. The riparium option would also leave more underwater space for the fish.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This is a good idea and Hoppy's plan makes me want to try something similar. I think that a 30 Breeder with top rim removed would be a real good option. This could create the same kind of feeling as a planted garden pond. Fish that are suited to being viewed from above, such as goldfish or mollies, would be excellent choices. I gotta watch out for 30 Breeders on Craigslist.

Of course this begs the question of why one wouldn't just do a simple paludarium setup in a shallow tank like that by stacking up driftwood or lava rock to develop the planting area. I have seen setups like that before. I imagine that the riparium planters would make it easier to set everything up and grow a wider variety of plants. The riparium option would also leave more underwater space for the fish.
The reason for chosing the riparium option is the ease of setting it up, the ease of changing the setup, the ability to start the plants growth elsewhere, then move them into the display setup, the lack of additional "stuff" in the water, taking up valuable space that could be used for fish, the ease of cleaning - remove the planters, wipe the biofilm off, replace them - the ability to adjust the amount of "wet feet" the planters get, the ability to customize the "soil" each plant grows in, etc. All of these are reasons I knew I had to try ripariums the moment I read the first post about one by Hydrophyte, and saw the photos of what it could look like.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Wow! I can nail two boards together! Well, it isn't quite that easy, but almost. Two pieces of scrap 3/4 plywood, butt joined with glue and 3 drywall screws. The Zen Aquarium Stand. Here it is under the tank:

This will be spray painted black, to make it disappear from view, but serve to support the lights.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

Go Hoppy Go! Man you don't mess around when you get an idea.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Go Hoppy Go! Man you don't mess around when you get an idea.
Actually, I have been looking at that tank on my deck for several weeks, wondering what to do with it next. And, the lighting idea I have been wanting to try out for even longer. All it took was the suggestion about having the plants up near the top to trigger my "knee jerk" response, and get me going on this. Projects like this get me very excited, and ripariums just make the projects more exciting.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

I feel ya. I have 2 30 breeders sitting in front of my car in the garage that I look at every morning and evening... its hard not to set them up. I'm seriously considering putting one up in our sun room just to put some hemagraphis sp. and other riparium stuff in to grow out in natural lighting. Think I'd have to do anything about water movement if I kept the water level pretty low but enough to keeps the roots wet?
Sorry to derail.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I think we need good water circulation in a riparium because we are relying on the tank water for most of the nutrients, especially for plants on rafts. If we don't keep the water moving, stagnant areas should develop, where the concentration of nutrients will drop way down. Some of these plants have huge masses of roots absorbing nutrients from the water. But, this is such a new field I would hesitate to say anything for certain.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here is a tank that I think would be great for this two-thirds full idea...

Green Leaf Rimless Aquarium 63-S

I have been looking all over for tanks with a 24" X 18" footprint, and spotted this one when I gave the GLA offerings a second look. Filled to about 2/3 it would hold about 20 gallons. Green Leaf Aquariums will ship this tank delivered right to your door, and the UPS charge isn't bad at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post

!!
A riparium in the 63-S might have to be my next tank project.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

That would be a great riparium tank! I wish I had that now, not the 63 but the 90, also 18 inches deep and high. The website doesn't state the shipping cost, but that would be a consideration.

Painted black, and it does visibly vanish. The front edge which looks inadequately painted in the photo, looks almost perfect in person. The flash seems to have made the wood pores show up a lot more than they actually do.

And, I visited HD today. They don't have the Hypoestes plants anymore, so I have one of the last ones. Nor do they have any caladiums. It looks like most of their houseplants are out of stock there.

But I did get a couple of these: http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053 to use for a light fixture. The price is certainly right.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

My complex, fine woodworking, setup is complete now. The light "fixture" is just 2 boards glued and screwed together to form a "T" so the clamp on lights have a place to clamp onto. This can be done neater, with more aesthics, but this will work fine, I think. Now, to find a couple of 23 or more watt powersaver bulbs, with 6500K rating - not that easy.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That looks great Hoppy this reminds me that I have that cabinet for my 56 Column that I need to finish. I have everything cut and glued, and now I need to sand it, apply finish and put it together.

Back when I was little we had some livestock and poultry on our farm for fun. We used those same lamps to brood new little baby chicks. I remember that we got them mail order a couple of times and they right in the post in a flat cardboard box with round holes in the side. You can order many unusual breeds as day-old chicks right online...

http://www.randallBurkey.com/Chicks/products/443/