Light and CO2 comming!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Light and CO2 comming!!!

Since this question is about lights and CO2, I figured I'd put it on the general forum.
My Catalina lights are on the way here (2 6500k bulbs, 1 10000k bulb and 1 "plant grow" bulb, all 48") and so is my CO2 regulator.
My tank is 75g and there is about 20" between the substrate and where the lights will be.
I planned on setting the lights on a timer, as follows:
-2x 6500k come on at 8am
-then 1x 10000k and "plant grow" come on at 11am
-10000k and "plant grow" go off at 2pm
-Moon lights (LED) come on at 5:30pm
-6500k turn off at 6pm
How does that sound?
Also, in keeping with that timer schedual, when should I have the CO2 turn on and off?
Thanks
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
... I planned on setting the lights on a timer, as follows:
-2x 6500k come on at 8am

-6500k turn off at 6pm
How does that sound? ...
This is 10 hours. It may be a bit too long for the early stages of your aquarium. After it gets settled down, 10 hours should be fine.

You may want to cut these bulbs down to 8 or 6 hours should you see algae.
Quote:
... -then 1x 10000k and "plant grow" come on at 11am
-10000k and "plant grow" go off at 2pm
How does that sound? ...
You may need 1 to 3 hours here depending on your growth and algae.

Also, you have 3 different bulbs. You may have to interchange them to find the look that you want.

Quote:
... -Moon lights (LED) come on at 5:30pm ...
This is fine. You can even run them 24/7.

Quote:
Also, in keeping with that timer schedule, when should I have the CO2 turn on and off?
Thanks
It depends on how long that it takes for the drop checker to turn green and stay green w/o ODing the critters. Your bubble count has a factor here.

You may want to cut your CO2 on 1 to 3 hours before and turn it off maybe a similar amount of time before the lights go off.

BTW ... Congradulations on your 75g!!! Great lighting and pressurized CO2!
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Thanks Left C. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can make this all work.
I guess I'll start off with an 8 hour lighting schedual and see how it goes from there. The only reason I came up with those timer times is to try to simulate a natural sun progression. Do you think I should drop the brighter lights down to 1 or 2 hours, at least in the begining?
You're right, I dont know what the light combinations are going to look like until I have them up and running. I'll have to check it out and see how it looks.
I'm alittle ashamed to say that I'm still not totally clear on all of the aspects of CO2. What is the "drop-checker" checking? CO2 and PH levels? I was'nt sure that I needed to get a drop-checker. But, now I know . I've read that the amount of CO2 you put into your tank is really a "trial and error" kind of thing. But, is there a general PPM I should be shooting for? And, I assume that the drop-checker will help me figure that out? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Thanks Left C. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can make this all work.
I guess I'll start off with an 8 hour lighting schedual and see how it goes from there. The only reason I came up with those timer times is to try to simulate a natural sun progression. Do you think I should drop the brighter lights down to 1 or 2 hours, at least in the begining?
You're right, I dont know what the light combinations are going to look like until I have them up and running. I'll have to check it out and see how it looks.
I'm alittle ashamed to say that I'm still not totally clear on all of the aspects of CO2. What is the "drop-checker" checking? CO2 and PH levels? I was'nt sure that I needed to get a drop-checker. But, now I know . I've read that the amount of CO2 you put into your tank is really a "trial and error" kind of thing. But, is there a general PPM I should be shooting for? And, I assume that the drop-checker will help me figure that out? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
You will have to just see how you lighting duration pans out. Then adjust from there.

You absolutely need a drop checker with 4 dKH carbonate based solution and Bromothymol blue indicator solution.

Using this drop checker, you can pretty much dial in your CO2 level. Don't use the CO2/pH/KH relationship chart/calculator to determine your CO2 level.

When the drop checker solution turns a green color with the 4 dKH solution, you will have approximately 30 ppm of CO2.

Orlando has a very good line of drop checkers and the correct solutions. The Oracle is a good one. SuMo has various dKH solutions that will work with your choice of drop checkers.
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...-checkers.html
http://www.sumoregulator.com/DropCheckerSolutions.html

There is tons of info about drop checkers and one of our members is responsible for making them work. Send him 10% of the total cost for his royalties. Just kiddin'.

The drop checker link at GLA contains a little bit of info about drop checkers. There is also a link to the blog with more info.
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote