help with CO2 DIY
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
serendipity576
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

help with CO2 DIY

So I'm going to try and make one of those simple yeast/sugar CO2 reactors I've read about, but I'm confused as to where I can get a check valve? aquarium store or lowes maybe? what size should it be. My airline tubing looks to be one of the smaller sizes. Also if I run the line into my hob filter intake, that wouldn't work because of outgassing as soon as it gets into the tank right? How else could I run the line without buying a diffuser. Trying to do this really cheaply to start out. Thanks for any help.
serendipity576 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

You can get check valves at any fish store and walmart (~$2.5 for one). Or you can get 10 from ebay (~$3 for 10, but 2 weeks of shipping). The size you get is pretty standard, just visit any fish store/walmart for that (4mm inner diameter if my memory serves right).

A glass diffuser really seems like the Cheapest way of diffusing CO2 already... so I don't know any other recommendation. You can start getting a cheapo from ebay (~$6-7). Even then, I think my diffuser wasn't doing a good job and I switched out to reactor...

Hope it helps a tiny little bit.
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
serendipity576
Algae Grower

thanks justin, went and got some silicone tubing and valve and it's all set up now. I've got the tube running to the venturi type plug in on a maxi jet powerhead so it cuts it into finer bubbles. I used 2cups sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/4 tsp baking soda in a 2L bottle about 3/5 full of water. It's been going for about 1.5 hours, but barely trickling any bubbles, sometimes none. How long does it take to get going at a good clip? Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
serendipity576
Algae Grower

anyone?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
thrak76
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

When i made my first batch of yeast generator, it took almost a whole day to really get going. Now when i make it, 2 hours tops, and it's full blast. There are a few variables though. I always use hot/warm water to activate my yeast. Also, i use the same temp water to mix up the sugar/baking soda in the bottle. After all ingredients are added, i try to keep the bottle in a warm place until ready to be hooked up.
Did you activate your yeast beforehand? Did you mix up your other ingredients using warm water?
thrak76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you take the tube out of the venturi, do you see actual bubbles coming out? Perhaps your Maxi Jet is chopping up the bubbles to such a fine degree that you cannot see them? However, if you take the tube out and see no bubbles, I would wait a bit longer (say 2-3 hours). If still, no bubbles are being produced, I would look over the entire setup for a leak.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, like thrak76 said, you should try mixing the 2 cups of sugar and the 1/4 tsp of baking soda in the soda container with warm water first. Then on a separate smaller container, dissolve/mix the 1/2 tsp of yeast in warm water. After the yeast dissolve, just add it to the soda container, mix it in and you are done.

If you want to make sure you have bubble coming out, you can get use another container (anything with a larger cap, as you need to run 2 lines in and out, I use Gatorade) as bubble counter. That could help you count the bps, and it could also "clean" the bubbles a little bit. There should be plenty of instruction over the internet and you have probably found it already. Let me know if you couldn't find one.

I used 1 tsp of yeast instead of 1/2 and I am getting a pretty good result. I have used a ceramic diffuser so the pressure needed to be pretty high to get going; and I always had bubble mist coming out after an hour or so.

Hope it helps a tiny bit. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
serendipity576
Algae Grower

thanks everyone, it's working well now, I ran it into the intake of a maxijet and the bubbles are super fine mist about every 10 seconds or so. I think I already notice huge improvements, is this possible after 24 hours? new roots forming, new growth. Should I now start dosing with Flourish since my CO2 is higher? lights are t5 48watts over 29g.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I would definitely start dosing both micro and macronutrients. You have sufficient light to warrant this, since T5 bulbs are significantly more effective at lighting a tank than (say) T12 or T8 bulbs.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Go for dry fertilizers~ cheaper~

Tags
check valve, co2, diffuser, diy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.