ADA Aquasoil Preparation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
itzjustjeff
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

ADA Aquasoil Preparation

I've never used ADA aquasoil before. I've been working with eco-complete for both of my tanks for the last year..but i want to start a 3rd tank and would like to use ADA aquasoil as the substrate. I was wondering if there is any special preparation required before initiating any planting or addition of fauna? I'm planning to use the water from my 2 older tanks, along with a 2nd filter i took of the tank so that i can use it on the new one right away. So..just a couple of things i'd like to know:

How long does aquasoil have to be soaked? to get rid of tannins and to make it safe for fish.
What are some additives that people usually put onto aquasoil?
What are different size pebbles of the aquasoil for?

Thanks in advanced for looking. Excited to get my tank going asap!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

From my recent experience, AS takes over a month to get rid of all 'noticable' tannins. Tannin is not deadly to fish as far as I know. I've had my tank running for a little over a month now and even after adding purigen, my water is still not crystal clear. I still see a minuscule tinge of yellow in it. I'm not sure if this will stay with the tank or not, maybe someone else can answer this for us.

As far as cycling, if you're using your established filter and tank water from older tanks, you'll be cycled within 2 weeks. Some people say to rinse the soil first but I didn't because, it says right on the bag lol. I actually did the same thing you're planning to do, but with me I started planting right away. For the first water change (1 week after your initial setup) use more of the old tank water to refill. After this just keep doing weekly water changes using tap and after 2 weeks you should be able to add fish. I didn't use any additives except dechlorinator (Prime).

Some people worry about ammonia spikes and say you need to cycle the tank longer, but that's if your using new water with a new filter. If anyone objects, they can certainly state their points. I'm just giving my personal experience so do take it with a grain of salt.

Hope that helps.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

This may sound like a really stupid question but these the normal 1/4 to 1/3 water changes? Or, due to the tannins and due to the fact that its a newly planted tank, do you do more?
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
This may sound like a really stupid question but these the normal 1/4 to 1/3 water changes? Or, due to the tannins and due to the fact that its a newly planted tank, do you do more?
My bad, I forgot to mention that part. These will all be 50% water changes. This is mainly because I'm dosing EI method. If you're not dosing you can still do "up to" 50% weekly WC's, for the first month or so to get rid of any excess ammonia/tannins. People who don't dose just top their tanks or do minor WC's after the tank has completely cycled.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

How long does aquasoil have to be soaked? to get rid of tannins and to make it safe for fish.
It doesn't really need to be 'soaked' per say. I've never had problems with it releasing tannins, it may cloud the water with debris when fillied initially though. It's also known to release ammonia so you'll have to allow the tank to cycle.

What are some additives that people usually put onto aquasoil?
Nothing, some people may put down a layer of ada power sand but it's not required.

What are different size pebbles of the aquasoil for?
If you're talking about normal vs. powder, powder is intended to be used in the forground as it looks nicer and it's slightly easier to plant delicate plants in. (Personally I wouldn't bother, it's a pain in the ass and tends to float)
Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
itzjustjeff
Planted Member

Speedie408: Thanks for the thorough response, it's nice to have most of the information needed to get my 3rd tank running Let me know if you need anything!

Dollface: Thanks for the advice about powder, i was just about to pick some up today from NA. haha
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Tonysok
Algae Grower

PTrader: (43/100%)

There's no need to soak Aquasoil since you're setting up a new tank. Some people will soak it in a bucket when adding it to a pre-existing tank to rid of the ammonia it release. Just fill the tank slowly so it doesn't cloud up and any floating debris can be netted out. Which type were you looking to get? AS1 release a lot of ammonia compare toe AS2, so make sure to plant densely or do major water change.

Tony
Tonysok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

For me, it took a week. Dumped a bunch of plants into the established tank, kept lights on a few hours a day, added "stress coat," supposedly removes ammonia, and then within a week, my ammonia is 0.

To my surprise, there were baby guppies in the tank when I added the soil. Guess they hid in the moss.

changed water every other day.
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
itzjustjeff
Planted Member

i dont really know all the diferrences of as1 and as2, but i know that it's not enough to deter anyone from religiously buying one from the other, as2 is darker also no? maybe that'd look nicer. im not sure...still deciding
Old 10-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

From my understanding AS2 was released to take care of problems some folks had with very hard water. If you have neutral to soft tap water from the beginning go with AS1.
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I have noticed that you see a lot more of the orange with AS 2 compared to AS 1 when using Amazonia.
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
stuckintexas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

aquasoil is awesome for plants on a new setup. dont waste some of its pros by soaking it before putting it in a tank with plants. yea, it will take a while for the ammonia to go away and be safe for fish. i had no problems with water and my water was clear by day 2 or 3. use amazonia 1, i hear amazonia 2 is smaller and turns to mud faster. my aquasoil 1 is 13 months old and is still going strong. also when starting the new tank with AS, you dont need to bother with fertilizing right away I noticed.
stuckintexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I had ASII when it first came out and it did turn to mush within weeks now I only use ASI, I don't care if they fixed the problem or not I have fantastic results with ASI.

I had no tannins others talk about but I did have massive ammo readings the first few weeks with a mature filter.
My advice would be to go with ASI no need for powersand or other additives IMO. Stuff the tank with as many plants as you can, don't dose for two weeks then add fish after the tank has cycled.
Adding old tank water will do nothing for your cycle.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 04:38 AM   #14
jerzguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/94%)

Where can I get ADA Aquasoil in NJ? PLease let me know.

Thanks
jerzguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzguy View Post
Where can I get ADA Aquasoil in NJ? PLease let me know.

Thanks
You can pick it up right on your doorstep if you order it from either of the two following dealers. They are the only two dealers in the US.
http://www.adgshop.com/Substrate_System_s/1.htm
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...ct&cPath=12_21
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ada, aquasoil, cycle, soak, tannins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.